Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: What is your yard like?

12 years ago
What is the current state of affairs for your own backyard?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Comments (58)

  • 12 years ago
    Believe it or not I still have a mound of snow and road gravel right out front. And the back got the snow mold bad so it's looking really trashed. Heavy snow broke off many limbs that need to be cleaned up. Too bad I can't just take it all out back and shoot it.
    Emily Hurley thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i voted "its perfect" but that's very subjective... I happen to like acres of overgrown native San Diego fauna, buzzing with insects and critters.
    Emily Hurley thanked Evans Woodworking Inc
  • 12 years ago
    Always a work in progress. Last summer I changed a lot: new front porch, replaced wood deck with stone patio, new walkways and a greenhouse. Now I'm still redoing pathways, watering system, etc. that had to be changed. Also planting vegetables in my new raised beds (made from the old cedar boards of the deck) and then there's the constant, never-ending weeding and pruning. Good thing I'm retired.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Our yard is very nice with a hot tub and a pool,we even have dog beds outside, because our dog loves the outdoors.


    -ask Lady mayflowers mascot
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I live in my backyard! And I am fortunate enough to be based in South Florida, so I get to enjoy it year round.
  • 12 years ago
    My backyard has taken a beating the last 3 years - 3 big puppies digging holes, drought and diseased tree and a new tree that didn't take root.... sigh. BUT on Friday a new patio will be laid, the rest of the yard will be leveled out and I will be able to start landscaping... :- )
  • 12 years ago
    I've been gardening on my acre property for 18 years now. I've gotten the flower beds cleaned up, the lawns raked and the trees and shrubs pruned for spring. In a few weeks it will look like this...photos taken last spring.
  • 12 years ago
    wyndyacre your gardens are stunning and a tribute to your labor of love.
  • 12 years ago
    I had my backyard basically in order until....a new garage for my husbands 65' Mustang! Now I have to move all the perennials and look at mounds of dirt! Oh what I could do with that dirt!!
  • 12 years ago
    My yard is a work in progress...I am recently retired so have much more time to devote to it...
  • 12 years ago
    overgrown bushes, crabgrass for the lawn and a hill out bagck with a ton of leaves, and weeds that need to come out.
  • 12 years ago
    We had sod installed last year and OMG it's still alive! It looks so much better than the mud and crabgrass we had. And we created this boardwalk Easter Sunday, all I have left to do is put the clear coat on.
  • 12 years ago
    Off of the bottom deck, we have a lawn, then a creek and then a farmer's field and then trees. With the Spring bonus of a returning beaver, egret and blue heron. Deer and coyotes and finches, oh my! Cardinals and ducks and geese (you get the idea)............... Priceless!
  • 12 years ago
    I took some photos of the ongoing yard project and put them in an ideabook. Here is a link to it if anyone wants to see
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/26606352/thumbs/Yard-project
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm very happy with my backyard right now, mostly due to mother nature. Everything is in bloom and the roses smell heavenly.
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful Charmean Neithart Interiors! I really love that large urn beside your chair.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We are in the process of redoing our front and backyard with a drought tolerant landscape.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Well there's this barn, and a vegetable garden, and dogs...
  • 12 years ago
    We dethatched, demossed, aerated and re-seeded -- followed by days of torrential rain.
    Would you like a mud pit?
  • 12 years ago
    We've really enjoyed ours since moving here last summer.
  • 12 years ago
    My back yard is a 30plus year work in progress. So far it has a 3000 gallon koi pond with waterfalls and stream. Garden [ornamental] around the perimeter. A little grass. Trees, bushes a gazebo and 3 season screened porch. I would like to do more but not sure what it is.
  • 12 years ago
    My yard is at it's best in Spring. The previous homeowner gave it a good start.
  • 12 years ago
    My parents rent, so we can't do anything to it :/
  • 12 years ago
    Wyndyacre, your garden is absolutely stunning! Fabulous job! :D
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Ours is semi wooded and so can look lovely but also becomes overgrown very quickly. At the moment it is starved of attention and we will be getting out there over the next few weekends to tidy up.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Ours is so horrible right now we're joke the council is going to say something soon! Still, the tulips are up and gorgeous and we promise to get it all sorted once that display is over:)

    I'm only half kidding there about the state of our current landscape. We're 99.9% sure the previous owner used the old over-the-shoulder-during-unloading method of planting by tossing everything from the car boot over his shoulder and then planting where it landed - it's an awful mess out there that will require us to hire a crew of professionals to rearrange. Good plants, awful plantings!
  • 12 years ago
    I chose my house partially because it was small and partially because it had an extra building lot to accommodate the pups. But now, I have a serious dilemma. I have been waiting to have a horse chestnut tree removed (and sent to a farm--I don't want to chop it down). It's too big and oh so wrong for the space. (Here's a photo taken a few years ago.) The tree service kept promising they would come. So I bought a fringe tree to replace it. The following year they promised again; so I bought a smoke bush to replace it. The following year they promised again; so I bought a limelight hydrangea tree to replace it. Still not having learned my lesson, I bought a sunrise redbud, which is just coming into bloom in its pot. My yard is now dotted with these bushes/trees. There is no plan, no design! It's a holding pen for trees and shrubs. I need help!
  • 12 years ago
    By the way, the photos above were taken before the substitute trees were planted.
  • 12 years ago
    sandycangiano looks like you have things well under control in your beautiful yard!
  • 12 years ago
    My yard is 80% finished. I have a corner of the yard that I am going to pull out mature azalea bushes and put in a half circle of cement seating. I got the idea on Houzz. Finding the right contractor is a challenge. It is a wasted corner and if I have a party I will have a lot more seating. This year I planted about 50 lily bulbs and they are starting to bloom. I am taking out a large pine tree because I am afraid it is just to big and will fall over if we have
    strong winds.
  • 12 years ago
    What we've done so far looks great with the trex deck, paver courtyard and updated solar lights. But with the fire dangers here in Colorado, we are going to have to mitigate for fire danger which means probably giving up some of our local scrub oaks. Not that I love them, but they provide a great deal of privacy and are all around our neighborhood.

    Our next big project will need to focus on reducing our water consumption as well. If we water with the new restrictions, our grass is always borderline burned and hard to enjoy. We will definitely need to reduce our watering zones which currently stands at 12, about 3 too many.
  • 12 years ago
    forgot photos. I need to take more.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm from Ohio now living in Texas. It's nothing like Cleveland but the Texas Hill Country has its own unique beauty.

    We have a little over an acre most of it not landscape. I hope we can do more with it but as is we enjoy it.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    One more, even though this isn't the best image because it was taken from the safety of our family room. When these two visitor come, they can have our back yard. Never a dull moment when you're this close to nature.
  • 12 years ago
    dpalarino, we've had those same furry visitors, too.
  • 12 years ago
    I need to prune.
  • 12 years ago
    lol inpdx---sounds like my outdoor space! Open ditch with drainage system only half finished and rain, rain, rain. Wish I could say it looks like a landscape stream but that's not the case. One struggling Rhododendron and a few hardy dandelions surrounded by a mud hole, both front and back----bleah!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My garden is full of native plants, herbs and veggies! The flowers are lovely to look at for most of the year. And the veggies are great when they are ready and fresh herbs make them divine!
  • 12 years ago
    We spent the Winter ripping everything out of our yard. 12 Giant trees were Cut down. It was a Jungle. Just finished re-setting the stones around the pool. Next week, a raised pool cover is finally being installed and the Patio is being extended. The pergola got a pressure wash and I got half of it sanded before the rain came. Now, it's a mud Pit outside.
  • 12 years ago
    @Dpalarino, I hope your "visitors" at least chopped some of that wood. The nature in my backyard consists of ducks, variety of birds (tiny and huge), raccoons, possums, woodchucks, snakes (non-venomous) and lots of toads, bullfrogs and insects (the good, the bad and the ugly). Oh yes, and the stray cats who live here (3 of them). I think I would honest to God faint if I saw one of your "guests" in my yard. I thought I had nature but you have me beat.
  • 12 years ago
    I keep hoping that someone secretly sends our backyard, big yard with a brook, into some "what not to landscape" HGTV show... our yard has remarkable potential but seemingly any money that we have spent on it just gets it wrong every time..... we need help, but also probably some moula.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My modest Rochester NY yard is a work in progress. I have tried to use recycled material when possible. They include broken cement flooring as pavers and garden bed walls. Old decking made into fence, a metal fire door as a table top, vintage carriage house doors as privacy walls, old porch columns used free standing to define space, and old redwood beach boardwalk used as deck flooring. More to attack this season and looking forward to it!
  • 12 years ago
    Melley Nelson Design, I know how you feel. I keep going to Lowes in the hopes that someone will stop me and ask what I am buying and why and then tell me I have won the HGTV lottery! I would love to have someone come here and work some magic!.
  • 12 years ago
    Mine is slowly getting there. I have annuals along my fenceline & every couple years I thin it out & add them further down the fence. A few years ago I added a willow tree to my back yard & this year I added a Wisteria. My front flower beds are usually annuals & I have my "crazy cutting garden" by the back porch. Just planted that last weekend.

    At work I have time to post. When I'm off, I'm outside. I really need to start snapping some photos!

    Tomorrow....I pick up my riding mower! :0)
  • 12 years ago
    I'm loving seeing pics of everyone's gardens coming alive for spring! I'm ready...LOVE spending time out on our patio when everything is starting to bloom!
  • 12 years ago
    Wyndyacre....I'm in love with purple and green gardens!! Just beautiful!!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Finally got some photos!
    One day I'll get rid of all the weeds...*sigh*
  • 12 years ago
    bungalowmo, looks like you have some creeping charlie (round-leaved ground cover in the LP picture with the transcendantia?) in there! Good luck getting rid of that stuff! I've fought the good fight against it in a number of yards here in MN, with no luck. I've heard you can set it aflame and it'll still come back. If you ever get rid of it, please post your methods of success!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I see a lot of beautiful gardens! This is my comfort zone after a long busy week. This has been a work in progress!
  • 11 years ago

    We have a great landscaper, her name is Mother Nature.