Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deed766

Too much marble?

deed766
10 years ago
Purchased house with bathrooms that have too much colorful marble tiles . What should I do?

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Construction Guaranteed
    10 years ago
    Plain white towels and area carpets will be a start.
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Get rid of the tile on the wall.....that will help!
    deed766 thanked cabingirl13
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Hi Deed -- actually I think that dark paint will help to lighten up the look of the marble, along with lots of fresh white accessories. Let me see if I can find an image...
    deed766 thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    If you paint the walls one of the gray shades it will all blend together and the tile won't stand out so much. This color, Revere Pewter, is a gray that has a warm tone to it and looks like it might work with the tile

http://houzz.com/photos/6233786

I agree with others about white towels but the right gray towels, shower curtain, etc would work too. Tone on tone can be very pretty and elegant.
    deed766 thanked laurakdesigns
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    I don't think it's too much marble. The problem is the string contrast of the paint color on the upper wall. Darken it up and it will be dramatic and gorgeous!
    deed766 thanked Hyde Evans Design
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    Oops...trim, too!
    deed766 thanked Hyde Evans Design
  • deed766
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone! I didn't think of going for gray paint. I will definitely look to change to changing the upper wall color to gray.

How about the countertop and sink? The existing one doesn't match anything in the bathroom. The attached photo is the existing countertop and sink:
  • Natalie
    10 years ago
    Hi---the marble is pretty and I think the counter is fine. I also, am in favor of a gray wall, but I would go a couple shades deeper---pics for inspiration. Hope this is helpful...
    [houzz=
    Morningside Make-Over · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    deed766 thanked Natalie
  • mick50
    10 years ago
    The countertop looks like a cream marble that matches the chair rail and pencil molding around the tile. No they don't match the gray and maroon marble. Just too much going on. Personally, that would bother me. I'd want to tear out one or the other. Did you plan on remodeling or do you just want a quick fix? What about the other bathrooms? Just as "colorful"? :)
    deed766 thanked mick50
  • deed766
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, the other bathrooms have the same thing. If my DH wasn't holding me back, my first instinct was to remodel them completely. At least starting with the hall bathroom (in the pictures). I like a more transitional/contemporary design but it feels like I can't get the bathrooms to that type of look without removing all of these tiles. It's driving me mad.

We chose to purchase this house because it is practically a new house (built in 2005) and it was extremely hard to find a newer house for a decent/reasonable price in the area. Initially I said I can live with some of these wild colors until the following year However we haven't even moved in yet but each day its been a struggle to keep looking at these colorful bathrooms and kitchen.
  • mick50
    10 years ago
    Oh that's hard! You know it's expensive marble, and we hate to be wasteful, but you just don't like it! The maroon and gray is in the kitchen, too??!! Did they get a deal on a whole quarry?! I agree that the colors are too much. I honestly think you'd be happier if you just remove the wall tiles in the hall bathroom, patch the drywall, and paint it the nice medium gray shown above. The counters won't seem to clash so much if they aren't right next to the tiles. That way, you haven't invested too much if you decide to tear out the maroon and gray marble completely.
    deed766 thanked mick50
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You can actually wallpaper over the marble wall tiles with a paintable wallpaper. With a wallpaper sizing, you will not damage the marble. You can also buy cut-to-fit washable bathroom carpet. Carpet in bathrooms should usually be avoided, but the washable kind often provides an excellent temporary option. After you move in, it will be easier to assess what changes are most important to make soon and which can wait.
    deed766 thanked apple_pie_order
  • deed766
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the kitchen is made up of different colors. I really think the previous owner was a hippy. In fact, I had included that in another advice/opinion thread. Here's the link: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/replace-cabinets-or-repaint-dsvw-vd~953292
  • PRO
    McAdams Remodeling & Design
    10 years ago
    Greetings Deed, I think that tile belongs in an ancient dungeon. It might be costly to install, but that does not make it any less ugly. Once you have torn it out and refinished the walls you will be able to go into the room without wearing sunglasses!
  • deed766
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lol! I have to agree with McAdams because I just couldn't imagine why the previous owner would have chosen these tiles for all of her bathrooms. All three bathrooms. The more I think about it, the more it drives me crazy and then upset with myself for agreeing to buy a house that has all of these ridiculous tiles.

I think i'm going to stick with these marble tiles and go with a gray paint color, remove the beige trimmings around the walls. If I can't easily remove without breaking the marble wall tiles, then the marble wall tiles will have to come out. I will modernize the sink, countertops, hardware, and the mirrors. For the sink and countertops, I might go all white. I'm about to look for some contemporary styles for the sinks and counterop and see where it leads me to next.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    No worries tile is a relatively easy change....try the paint first (I wouldn't bother messing around with the accent marble rails). If you still hate just change it out and be done with it!

I think the ivory marble breaks up all the gray....who knows? That's what you may wind up keeping!
  • mick50
    10 years ago
    It seems wrong to spend money on replacing the innocent, innocuous cream marble countertop when the offending gray and red tiles remain! Why not replace the ugly tiles first? You eventually want to, and now you're putting in a counter to match the gray and red, even though you don't like them?? Plus, replacing a slab is much more expensive than tiles, which you only really need on the floor. If it drives you crazy, remove it!
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    A deep Gray on the walls will make the bathroom really come together! To pick up the counter top color, paint the ceiling the same.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    The wall colour is what is trowing this off go into a darker shade and please close that lid:)
    Dark Burgundy 2075-10 Paint - Benjamin Moore · More Info

Kassatex St. Germain 6 pc. Towel Collection, Sterling Grey · More Info

Lady In Burgundy Dress Artwork · More Info
  • deed766
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The pictures are from the previous owner. I just used the pictures because i'm currently not living and close to the house to take new pictures.
  • cm2121
    10 years ago
    Definitely like Natalie's suggestions. Painting the woodwork and sink base would also make a big difference. Painting and towels are cheap and easy, good to try this before you get rid of the marble. I love the marble on the top of the sink base - definitely a keeper.
  • deed766
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So far, I chose the wrong gray color paint for the bathroom. Turns out it looks more blue in the lighting. So now I will try for a Revere Pewter and see where it leads me. I will post some pictures shortly.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Remove it from walls or cover it in wainscoting in white. Then paint walls a soft gray. a roman shade for window in a dark gray use very white towels. With solid gray hand towels over them. Picture on wall to small instead add a small 20" sunburst mirror in silver. Hang low above wains.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Is that a shower? change curtain to a plain white fabric with a plastic liner.
  • deed766
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey Nancy. do you have a paint color name for the soft gray you are referring to?