Software
Houzz Logo Print
dawnbelerique

Should we paint the green another colour?

12 years ago
The house is a white stone. It is time to freshen up the paint and change the entry way carpet. Should we stick with the green? ...and look at all the white spindles...should we paint everything white (including the garage doors) and put a colour on the front doors...Help!

Comments (26)

  • 12 years ago
    The architectural features of your home - the arches over the windows, the wide stairway entry - suggest a grand, magnificent home. However, the high contrast between the white and the bright blue trim and green carpet (that's how is appears on my monitor) conveys a more casual vibe. What are you wanting - casual or grand? What is the general feel of the neighborhood?
  • 12 years ago
    That depth of green is lovely a little unique really! But if you really want a change then the grey and white scheme I think would look and work wonders!
  • 12 years ago
    Grey and White looks great, we removed our green recently as it darkens areas with porticos and verandas. We went for a 'baw baw . See photos, doors, trusses, gutters were changed..
  • 12 years ago
    photo of upstairs where verandas can darken space. Green removed and replaced with Baw Baw. As you have light bright/stone work I believe a light colour is required. either Pure White or very light grey to off set the roof.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    white with blue,replace the posts.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much for the comments and suggestions. The house is rural so only the trees and wildlife are our neighbours. Existing colour is dark emerald green on the carpet, doors and accents. Wasn't thinking about grey, and now I am...like the architectural change of the posts suggestion too and will keep this in mind as well...on the grey...so many shades of grey to choose from, you could right a book...how about a puddy grey or is that too dark?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You have a lovely home! The stone is beautiful. I agree with Mike about the pale gray for your garage doors (the entire door including the top panels) and all the areas currently painted green except for the front door and top of the railing. Paint the front door a glossy black. Paint only the top rail of the porch railing black. Paint the concrete porch deck the same pale gray or a shade darker.

    I would paint the small posts on your railing (the small white posts) an off white that blends with the stone of your home. Right now they are a bright white which contrasts too much against the stone.

    I would also change out the planter containers at your front door for something a little brighter. A red or cobalt blue - something with a pop of color. :)
  • 12 years ago
    i actually like the green, i think it's pretty with the white.
    my only change would be to paint the garage doors white, because i don't like drawing attention to the cars. the people are who i'm going to visit, not their vehicles.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Paint garage doors white first. Than, you can replace the green with brown or grey to creat a more traditional vibe. A darker green could work too.
  • 12 years ago
    I am a southern girl and love your house. I think a that while the dark/ light contrast is beautiful, the green is too blue. An almost black or green/black would be striking and set a grand background for accents like pots, plants and furniture. Also paint front door/sidelights and its trim one color, perhaps even an accent color that us used no where else, to beef it up and draw lots of attention. The Strong step color seems over- dominant. Suggest avoiding colors that are too close to the roof color, go darker or lighter. Also, get much larger, grander hanging baskets to match this grand house. Lucky you!.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes. It seems like too much contrast with the dark green. I would paint trim all white and go with taupe on the areas under the bay windows. Also paint the back deck to match. Here's a nice combo to consider.
    Cottage Exterior · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I also like the idea of changing the green to charcoal/gray. Like these homes but reversing the base and trim colors. That works nicely with your roof color too. Pretty home!
    [houzz=
    Sherwood · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Grand Slam · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    The craftsman posts suggested above are lovely, but they don't go with the architectural antebellum features of your home. Keep the ones you have. Here are some colors to test - bm graystone ; bm squirrel tail; bm rockport gray http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/rockportgray

    Paint the entire railing the trim color - nothing should be white - the stone is a lovely cream tone. Paint the sidelights the trim color, and for your front doors, here's a wonderful earthy neutral - little bit of wine brown - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/incensestick
  • 12 years ago
    Why do you have carpet on the front steps? I would remove that and go with stone or wood, which ever is underneath. As for the color, it appears to be teal which is a tad garish. I'd select something more in keeping with a natural tone. Gray is classic and would be attractive in all the trim with the front door in a different color. Think of a man's suit and shirt with a striking necktie.
  • 12 years ago
    Replacing the carpet with stone or concrete (or merely removing it - is there concrete underneath?) will give a more upscale look to your entry to match the rest of your home. I like gray trim, off-white hand rails, black balusters and a very dark deep gray-black for the front door. Also, to direct the eye to the front door, minimize decor on the front porch, except for two colorful pots of flowers alongside the front door. You have a beautiful home.
  • 12 years ago
    There is concrete underneath the green carpet. The green accents were there when we bought the home 7 years ago from a disabled gentleman. He installed a ramp to the front door so we are not sure what headache we may uncover. The last picture shows the roof we replaced last summer. I should look up the name of the shingles as depending on the weather the Hugh changes from light to dark. We are staining the decks within the next few weeks and will choose the same accent colour. I agree with painting the garage doors a light grey/ivory so they disappear somewhat and match the stone. Glad to have that confirmed. If the front doors are painted a dark grey/black/green/reddy brown??should I do the trim around the door and door windows too?
  • 12 years ago
    I'd keep the trim around the door and door windows light. That will really make the door pop and it is consistent with the trim around your windows. But other Houzzers may feel differently...... see what they say.
  • 12 years ago
    Your carpet is probably reflecting the color back onto the doors so when you remove it the reflection will go away.
  • 12 years ago
    What a beautiful house! I love the idea of grey instead of green.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that the carpet is reflecting back on the door, I would remove. Taking into consideration harsh winters, painting or replacing garage doors to match stone. The hunter green will then fit with the house and your surrounding, I think it is a statement color and suits your 'grand' home.
  • 12 years ago
    The two tone paint on the railings and door is really not working. Paint them one color. You could choose almost any color because of the neutral brick. Keep in mind that the places you paint the contrasting color will be emphasized. So now the things you notice are the garage doors and the bump out below the windows and trim around the entrance. Maybe you will want to use two colors in a different way than you currently have. Like use a more neutral color on the bump out and garage doors. Then use a more contrasting color on the trim around the windows, railings and door. Gray is popular now but you could use a subdued butter color on the garage door and sage green for accents
    Villa Terra · More Info

    Chateau Cache · More Info
    Summer's Garden · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Some great comments, reading more articles on houzz, grey seems to be recommended a lot. Phase one, I am going to paint the garage door trim, white and the doors and spindles an off white that will blend in with the stone and remove the carpet. I am totally in agreement there. It's a good place to start...the white aluminum trim around the windows is staying as is. The doors..the trim is wood painted white. Is what I am hearing...I should paint the trim and the doors the same colour, including the trim around the half moon window at the top of the doorframe??? An other observation is I have not seen one picture where the columns of a White House are painted a colour other than white...however I don't have shutters either. I am thinking about the two tone comment...
  • 11 years ago

    I'm not partial to grey. I'd go with a nicer, more nature-based pale green, like sea foam or something.

    It's a matter of preference, though.

  • 11 years ago
    Dawn here are some colors that I think would look so nice. I think when you paint, you should paint the aluminum trim around the doors and windows the same color as the Windows. I would paint them the lightest green and then paint the siding and garage doors the reserved white along with the columns.
    Paint the spindles and railings the darkest green here. take the carpet off the steps and wrap in a gray stone or slate. The roof and overhang should also be painted the same color as Windows and doors on the bottom side. This would be beautiful with the color of your roof. Best wishes!
  • 11 years ago

    guys the question was a year ago