Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie828

Large Tiles on Shower Floor

edie828
12 years ago
Absolutely stunning. We are thinking of using large format tiles on our walk-in shower floor. Our tile installer has cautioned against it because it's harder to create the proper drain slope. How did you overcome this? Aesthetically, I'd rather use the same size tiles in the entire shower rather than using a mosaic size on the floor as he suggests.
Master Bathroom · More Info

Comments (16)

• TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    This type of thoughtful planning ahead and wonderful ideas helps us understand why hiring an architect is absolutely worthwhile.
  • Emily H
    12 years ago
    Wow! I would have never noticed the drain. What a great idea.
  • rbcola
    11 years ago
    Amen Emily. This is absolutely lovely! Complients to dSPACE Studio on your design and your willingness to educate. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    11 years ago
    Fantastic. I wish our plumbers and installers were half as smart as you :) I'd be weary of asking them to do anything out of the ordinary.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- Plumbers and installers and tile setters always want to do the easy thing - so they can get it done and out the door to the next job. Sometime you can find a tile setter that is an artist at their job. Love the shower - just beautiful !
  • rbcola
    11 years ago
    I hear you on that thought about in/out the door. However, i must tell you I went to the discussion portion in questioning the pros/cons of wall mounted lavatory faucet and you can see for yourself - this person knows what he's doing. He's re-instated my desire to put in the wall mount. (FYI: "Plumbed Elegance".....knows and cares!!!
  • chany48
    11 years ago
    Does the linear drain have any slope to a drainage? If water stays in the slot, mold would grow... or it doesn't?
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    11 years ago
    Hi, great question. The linear drain has a slope inside to prevent standing water. Thanks for your question and good luck with your project.

dSPACE Studio's portfolio of work can been seen at www.dspacestudio.com
  • chany48
    11 years ago
    Thank you!
  • lvtothe123
    7 years ago
    I love this design but was cautioned against using the large planks on the floor because it would be a slip hazard and have no traction. How was that addressed in this shower? I want to build mine the same way this one was done!
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    6 years ago

Hello, and great question! You are correct, there is a slipping concern for any tile in wet areas really. When researching tile, manufacturers should provide product data sheets or specifications which identify the tile's intended location. Here is where you will find if the tile has a proper slip coefficient rating suitable for wet locations. Some manufacturers may just have a wet-rated tile, which is a little more of a rough textured finish. Always check with the tile manufacturer just to be safe. We hope this helps, and good luck with your project!

Be sure to check out our website at dspacestudio.com for more award-winning designs, and 'like'
    us on Facebook and/or Instagram!

• Susan Kay
    5 years ago
    We did a shower close to this one & love it. We used real stone on the floor that has drains in a lot of area between the stone.
  • Rochel Zuckerman
    4 years ago

Hi what was the name of the color of the grey paint used ?

• PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    4 years ago

Hi Rochel,

Thank you for your interest in our work!

If you are referring to the wall covering - it is a synthetic product with the look and feel of grass cloth material called Zanzibar Grey from Elitis. We love it for bathrooms because it will withstand the moisture of the bathroom better than a traditional grass cloth.

If you are referring to the vanity paint - the color is Kendall Charcoal from Benjamin Moore.

Best of luck with your project. Follow us in Instagram for more unique designs!

-dSPACE