Software
Houzz Logo Print
spandanglylamb

Giant Lamps

12 years ago
I fell in love with these lamps and bought them in an online auction. I didn't read the fine print and while I was expecting standard (even small) table lamps they are FOUR FEET TALL! They are even more gorgeous in person (I'll be replacing the shades), but now I can't figure out where to put them! They are far too large for any console table or side table, and yet too short to be floor lamps? I have 10' ceilings, so possibly on my mantel but I still think they'll look too large. They could flank my fireplace and come up just about underneath the mantel, but it seems like a strange place and I would have to completely rearrange the furniture in the room and I'm not sure it would work. Help! Where do you put a lamp this size??

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    OK, I took a photo of the room, though I'm no professional so it's not awesome. We *just* moved in here so none of the furniture is really in--we still have to paint, neon green is not my color. Anywho, they won't fit flanking the fireplace, I just tried it. Are they too huge on the mantel?? The walls will be a light blue and I will probably get grey lampshades. There is a possibility of putting one behind a chair (there will be a couch and two chairs here in front of the fireplace. Two chairs on the R, couch on the L, facing each other. This is our living room, and really the only formal room... but I would be open to putting them in the Master Bedroom or a guest room if someone could think of a place for them. I can only picture having them flank the bed instead of side tables!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, one other reason I didn't really want them on the mantel is I was planning to wallpaper the wall above it with a birch bark print... and I think these would just be too much to add to that. *sigh* I can't have everything, but which one goes?
  • 12 years ago
    If they were placed on a pair of plinths you could use them as floor lamps, and use them together or apart. Would that be a possibility for you?
    spandanglylamb thanked studio10001
  • 12 years ago
    I suppose--but when I only paid $1.50 for the lamps, I imagine the plinth is going to seem expensive :) I'm now realizing I don't regularly see plinths in stores.... where would I look for them?
  • 12 years ago
    I have seen designers use these on bedside tables .love them
    spandanglylamb thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 12 years ago
    Are you planning on painting the room ? If yes wait to get new shades for them and have some art or mirror on the fireplace mantel , I'm sure that together we will find a good place for them .
    spandanglylamb thanked Geneviève
  • 12 years ago
    I think they look fine on the mantel. Just balance them with a large piece of art.
    spandanglylamb thanked Krishna C.
  • 12 years ago
    You could make them fairly cheaply, but you are right about the the cost of purchasing a set. Any lower base, to ASV,s point, might serve - I'd keep an eye out for something (foot stool, cocktail table, candle stand, reference books ) that could be repurposed or cut to size.
    spandanglylamb thanked studio10001
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you are overreacting to the size. It is not unusual to use 30 to 34" lamps on normal end tables. It is a very dramatic look. I used to tell clients when they came into my studio that one day I would use a floor lamp on an end table. One time I did to balance out a banquette room set. It looked great. Another benefit of over sized lamps besides the drama is the height better lights the surrounding area. They are obviously to big and chunky for the mantel. So use your lamps as they were most likely meant to be used and enjoy them.
    spandanglylamb thanked Gantt's Decorating
  • 12 years ago
    I think ASVinteriors andn studio10001 are right--they need a low table or something I can repurpose to support them--both physically and visually. I'll have a go at it! Thanks so much for your help!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just remember that your end tables need to be within a few inches as the furniture arm height. This is more important than trying to make your lamps lower.