Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
familiacosta

Need help on how to decorate a wall niche

familiacosta
9 years ago
We have wall niche in our living room, it's visible as you walk in the front door, how can I use this without having it look dated? I don't understand the purpose of these at all!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Tuscany Builders and Design
    9 years ago
    Hi! You can use the niche as a focal point, which is usually what it is intended for. There isn't much space there for displaying art or storage. Paint the back an accent color of if you have a larger budget, have it tiled with a beautiful mosaic or glass tile. Then set a beautiful, silk orchid or other tall plant in there. It will look amazing!
    familiacosta thanked Tuscany Builders and Design
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Do u need a lamp? A statue or picture. A picture with a pic lamp would be cute. A chalkboard. A vase. Make it a shelf? Cookbooks nook.
    familiacosta thanked happyleg
  • Nana Adams
    9 years ago
    I would use moldings (photo 1 and 2), inside the niche paint with other color or put a wall paper., if you can, install a light, then you can put differents things, for example a picture, a vase, etc like the photos 3 and 4
    familiacosta thanked Nana Adams
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I don't know your style, but a long thin piece of oriental artwork usually looks good. And I also agree with painting the entire niche a color to make your artwork stand out https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-deep-water-bay-asian-living-room-nashville-phvw-vp~2390231
    familiacosta thanked ASVInteriors
  • PRO
    Trust the Vision Decor
    9 years ago
    Along the sames of painting the niche an accent color, you could also do some graphic wall paper to make it pop. The choices are endless and there are many removable wallpapers available. Best of luck.
    familiacosta thanked Trust the Vision Decor
  • Cy N Di
    9 years ago
    I would paint it an accent colour, hang a mirror & a small vase with fresh flowers
    familiacosta thanked Cy N Di
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    I hate these niches. Have several in my home and they have been a design nightmare. I'll be glad when they fall out of vogue. I'm just venting here. I have no suggestions. Perhaps we can whine together....
    familiacosta thanked doctornancy
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- I usually hate these when they have no use . We deliberately put one in our front entrance that has the mirror and shelf that is deep enough for display or a drop zone for keys and mail etc . It gets compliments all the time and doesn't look dated even though it's several years old. Have a mirror cut and mounted to fit the back, then have a shelf made ( 6 or 8 inches deep ) to fit in on the bottom and extends out and over onto the side wall a bit on each side . I have a sitting Buddha on mine that changes out for seasonal displays .
    familiacosta thanked lefty47
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    My home has one in the entry, one in the living area, and one in the alcove before my bedroom. Too narrow to place a decor item. Too odd shaped for art. What the heck! I like Lefty's idea.
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    9 years ago
    Hi! I would do a tall vase or a set of vases. Here are a few ideas for you:

http://deciture.com/essentials-taupe-tall-vase/

http://deciture.com/eurasia-ceramic-vases-set-of-3/

http://deciture.com/hassid-vase/ (LOVE this one)

Hope this helps you!
    familiacosta thanked Warner Decor
  • thamner1
    9 years ago
    Lefty, could u post a pic of your mirrored niche? I can't envision it, and the shelving. Sounds interesting! I need help with my niche!!
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI - Here is my shelf . I hope you can see how it is built into the space and the over hangs on the sides . Mine is old and it needs some repair and I might paint it . The mirror has an arched top . The shelf is screwed to the wall with metal L brackets from underneath . I think this idea would work for you .
    familiacosta thanked lefty47
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Sorry , my computer formatted the photo this way .
  • PRO
    Wahner Home Services
    9 years ago
    I think a mosaic art piece would look great and add to the dimension.
    familiacosta thanked Wahner Home Services
  • familiacosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started this post and now I just wanted to thank you all for your ideas. I took your advice and here is where I am now. I elongated the niche and added lighting (it is hard to find a weak enough lightbulb that doesnt overwhelm the space). I am just missing the vase and pretty flowers....but with two toddlers in the house neither vase or flowers would last 1 day...for now i'm putting up my kids drawings. I guess I could go a step further and frame them....apologies for the sideways picture.

• doctornancy
    9 years ago

How nice of you to give us some follow-up - always a treat for Houzzers.

• happyleg
    9 years ago

Love the kids art center!

• J J
    9 years ago
    always nice to see kids art! i have a niche too, i put in glass shelves.
  • PRO
    Batcher Design Build, LLC
    9 years ago
    A tile mosaic maybe a nice option to add some pop!