Software
Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

Shutters, paint or remove?

12 years ago
Hi
I am looking for ideas what to do with the front of our house. We will remove aluminum porch cover and replace it with wood but for now I want to do something about the shutters. Storm doors will be gone too.
Husbands wants to remove shutters I prefer to paint them.
The roof is red with slightly pink undertone.
Thanks

Comments (52)

  • 12 years ago
    Not so fast Anne Dee: in the tropics, some shutters are bifold and triple folde. IF these shutter fold out & protect windows fully then — for security and sun blocking KEEP. Otherwide remove.
  • 12 years ago
    No ,they don't fold out.
    But look at this photoshop without them! Doesn't it look weird?
  • 12 years ago
    Remove the shutters and paint that white area below the window a color that is similar to the bricks so it blends better.
  • 12 years ago
    you're right dudley Freedom, i did jump to conclusions.But truthfully, look carefully and you can see that the shutters are not folding types.
    sondramartina the pic without the shutters looks so much better in my opinion.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks much better without the shutters! Look at how wonderful the modern lines of the window come out now without the faux shutter distraction.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    possibly painting out the small window frames below the larger window will give you the balance you are looking to achieve.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    That middle section is the one that isn't right ,paint it the same colour as the bricks the lighter ones to make it sort of disappear /blend in .
    About the shutters ... lets be honest looking at the imitation of them they don't even have the realistic look since the window is way wider then they are, so in my point of view the house looks better without the shutters
    If you could paint the trim in a soft cream and the garage door as well everything will be grounded . what colour is your front door?
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with Stuck in Lodi. Nix the shutters, paint the area below the windows -and the garage door- a color that recedes into the brick. Easy fixes with a big impact.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI -- I say the shutters need to go . It would look a lot more up to date without . And also get away from the white . Either go darker (it's in the brick ) or to a cream/tan (it's in the brick too ). Benjamin Moore Paints .... dark color " Willow " .... lighter color "Ranchwood" ... And these also work together. Don't forget the garage door and roof trims and eves should be painted too. With these colors then the roof won't look so pink . The shutters on the front should never have been put on ... they ruin the shape of the window . That front window is one unit - top to bottom , so paint it all one color . Also , front door color -- "Vintage wine "
  • 12 years ago
    Ok ,thanks guys. You got me convinced !
    Yes we will paint the white middle and most likely the garage too.
  • 12 years ago
    Emphasize the horizontal lines when you make changes. I agree; Shutters are dated and don't add. Remove the vertical pieces in the white area and replace as needed with horizontal pieces. Paint to blend with the horizontal brick detail of the house as previously suggested. Or get crazy and turn that blank area into an asset with house numbers, planter boxes, etc. so long as it is horizontal and in scale. Remove the bush in the corner. Add some larger trim or paint to frame the windows. Nice house!
  • 12 years ago
    Should we give this nice house a burgundy red door?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes please :)
    Burgundy door is my least favorite but lets see I might like it .
  • 12 years ago
    you can get a sample of this
    Dark Burgundy 2075-10 Paint - Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Oh that one is pretty
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, man, sondramartina, you should've removed those shutters ages ago. I'll be back with a new paint job in a few...
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Just don't paint the brick please!

    Oh I 've been so used to the shutters that I never noticed they look ugly LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle what app did you use to change the colors . Been looking for one. Thanks
  • 12 years ago
    And what you did here looks much better !!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle you sure can make things look beautiful with that special magic touch of yours :)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, Genevieve. @ahelton, I use Photoshop Elements.
  • 12 years ago
    Remove :)
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle- how would it look if the white window frames were also painted in the neutral colors you've chosen? And the garage door as well? Don't mean to make extra work for you, but if have the time and the inclination........
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    better photo
  • 12 years ago
    Better Photoshop:
  • 12 years ago
    :)))


    I am not sold on that colour,can you try gray? And please paint my porch roof and railing dark wood brown.
  • 12 years ago
    shutter clutter gone looks much better.

    front door needs a colour to give the house a lift -
    sky blue? apple green? orange?

    Living Stone Construction, Inc · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    big improvement removing the shutters and painting out the window area. Can you change out the walk and make it less linear? Allow more room for plantings against the house and a curved walk to make it more inviting?
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, groveraxle! So much better! Guess the red roof has to stay.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Red roof has to stay , it has 50 years life time so another 20 or 30 (aluminum) .Previous owner put it and we like it too.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Geez, sondramartina, I thought that WAS gray. A very warm gray, but gray. But I can repaint; it'll just take a minute or two.
  • 12 years ago
    Is this better? The porch will take a little longer.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sorry Grover. How about gray like those bricks in upper part of the wall?
    Oh I see ,the last one you made is close but it has green undertone
    My bricks I believe have blue undertone
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry it took so long, but I rebuilt the porch. You need bigger posts. Here it is in gray and in brown. I also painted the storm door red.
    sondramartina thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    You're right about the green undertone. For some reason, I'm having trouble with colors today. And the front trim doesn't match the garage. Ah well. You can get the idea, no?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes ,I got the idea . Much better!
    Thank you very much.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! Looks fabulous :)
    Gover, do you have time to help on this thread?
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/helpme-figure-out-the-porch-please-dsvw-vd~999864
  • 12 years ago
    Denita, I looked at that porch thread earlier and again just now, and didn't figure I had anything to add.
  • 12 years ago
    lol...thought you could get me out of the weeds here. I think the posts are causing a problem with the size of the door and windows ...
  • 12 years ago
    Grover, fab job as always.

    I like the red door.

    I prefer the trim white - the windows are a really nice part of the house and the house feels fresher with the white.

    Sondramartina, if you're not keen on the white would you consider a colour? Like a blue version of the green in the stone house picture I painted above?
  • 12 years ago
    For now we will just remove the shutters ,that is the easiest part.
  • 12 years ago
    Shutters gone!
  • 12 years ago
    Looking better already
  • 12 years ago
    Yay!
  • 12 years ago
    I would remove the lonely bush on the left so you can see the different shaped brick at the bottom better.
  • 12 years ago
    About just giving the shrub a trim and shape it too .
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree, It looks much better!
  • 12 years ago
    "For now we will just remove the shutters ,that is the easiest part."

    So would you still like more comments/opinions/advice on the rest or do you feel happily done for a while?
  • 12 years ago
    We are busy doing something in the back yard so not for now,but thanks guys.
    Hopefully we'll do more this summer,so I will be back.