Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitsy

need help making our dining room more elegant, appealing and functional

mitsy
12 years ago
recently moved. we have this large 12'4"x14'10" dining room (1' bump outs at front and side, 2 large 58"w x 72"h windows. Walls are currently white with mishmash furniture.
Looking for ideas on how to give this room style, an elegant more appealing appearance as it is the room people see when they enter our home, would like it to be more functional for us and our two children. Have a tough time with front/side walls due to all the bump outs, where other walls have no bump outs?

Would like to see a eclectic/traditional feel with furniture, paint/wallpaper, wall art/mirrors and in need of window coverings ideas. I look at this room and find it so disapointing and unpleasant to look at, when I know it could be so much more.

Comments (24)

• hustlep2
    12 years ago
    Paint!! New light fixture, it doesn't seem to match the feeling of your dining set. I see sexy floor length curtains sheer the same color as you paint the walls. I love the dining room by the way, the wall angles are fantastic!
  • mitsy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    current table is a loaner, would someone suggest a rectangle or circle table? desperately in need of advice/suggestions on what to put on the walls to dress it up (paint and wall art/mirrors). would like to keep house neutral in colour with the accessories and furniture tying in
  • traceys804
    12 years ago
    I would add floor to ceiling draperies that extended past the window casings and into the corners of the offset walls. A neutral background with a traditional pattern in a soft color. Go up or down with that color for paint on the walls. I like the dark floors and I think it is a nice room too.
  • aas178
    12 years ago
    Based on what you've described already, I would stick w/ a rectangle table since the look you said you are going for is an elegant one. I always think rectangle is more formal than round. Also, I would add crown molding to draw the eye upward. I agree w/ hustle about the light fixture. Even Lowe's has some great, moderately priced ones that would instantly update the look. The white walls don't bother me. Since your look is pretty formal already, I'd go with silver accents - the frames w/ the flowers already on the buffet look great, I would carry that theme through whatever else you hand on the walls.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    Go to one of the better furniture stores in your area with pictures and measurements in hand. First find an area rug you love -- then find drapes that will go with that . Then pick out a table that is a style you like - I think a round one that has leaves. Now pick out the chairs - two matching for each end and then some side chairs.Pick out a color from the rug or drapes for the walls and last is the light fixture and maybe some sconces. All this can be done with the help of the in house designer at the furniture store.This service is there if you are buying and it is usually free. Look up dining rooms on Houzz - the ideas are endless.
  • thelakehouse
    12 years ago
    I agree with almost everything recommended. And once you get those windows dressed from floor to ceiling, you will feel inspired to keep going- it will make a HUGE difference in this room, as will crown moulding!!
  • hopingtogetfit
    12 years ago
    Oh, those white walls make the room look cold! Put some color on them. That will add instant drama and warm the room up!
  • susan adler
    12 years ago
    What about a soft gray for the walls with white trim including crown molding. A graceful oval table, keeping the black chairs and perhaps adding two head chairs. Ceiling to floor drapes in a shade darker gray, pulled back with white sheers beneath. To add some pattern an oriental or other patterned rug with color. It can be a mutted color, maybe in the rose family if you are using mahogany. I would add a silver framed mirror over the chest with scones on either side and a new chandelier. You need a small painting to the left of the one window that picks up whatever color would be in the rug. Good luck.
  • thelakehouse
    12 years ago
    Sounds VERY PRETTY Susan Adler!
  • PRO
    Pat Gericke & Associates, LLC
    12 years ago
    I don't know why, but looking at the room from all the pics, that table seems to be going against the flow - if you keep a rectangle or better yet an oval, I would turn it to run the other way. It doesn't seem comfortable to me to have the back of the chairs facing the main entry. I agree with crown moulding and definitely a more dramatic color on the wall - I would find a fabulous wallpaper that would make those bumps in wall disappear. Perhaps add polished nickel nailheads outlining the chairs to add sparkle -
  • pebn
    12 years ago
    Love the idea for cool gray walls! How about a great crystal chandelier and a 4x8 glasstop table. Leaves lots of options for other furniture.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you find a wall covering that has a fabric to match - the odd walls will recede. Perhaps look at William Morris designs that were prevalent in arts and crafts and art nouveau periods. I would use open back chairs, maybe a beautiful lattice design frame - that way the eye goes through the chairs and allows for more space and air around - adding to draw your eye into the room.
  • prtpamela
    12 years ago
    A round table is a must! It will soften the angles of the room. Also crown molding, soft semi-sheer full length drapes with a roman shade underneath. Add some beautiful big artwork, especially on the large wall in the entryway. Have fun!
  • sheriflores33
    12 years ago
    I am so in love with those dining chairs, could you please tell me where you bought them? I agree with some of the others about grey walls, white floor to ceiling drapes with a rectangular table, but do not change the orientation of the table, it looks great right where it is. Definitely change the light fixture, maybe to a crystal chandelier. There are some gorgeous grey and white area rugs from Horchow that would look beautiful with the grey walls and black damask chairs!mment here...
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    One thing I've noticed in recent years is that tableclothes just aren't used any more. If you'll search houzz, look at magazine pix, you won't see too many. If your table isn't in good enough condition to go without a tablecloth, find a new one.

A long tablerunner (you may have to have it custom-made as that is a long table) with a centerpiece that won't compete with the chandelier you choose.

Wallpaper would make those wall angles disappear; think of the possibilities! So many patterns, so few walls! If you can't decide, get a couple of feet of wallpaper and pin them up for a couple of days, look at them at different times of the day. Light alters how things look.

This room has huge potential. I can understand your frustration; all that white isn't inviting. Trust your instincts.
  • istenhu
    12 years ago
    I see Phillip Jeffries neutral grasscloth wallcoverings, silk draperies, a new chandelier to add sparkle and glamour, and accessories! www.americanhomeintl.com is a fabulous source for all "to the trade only" and other high-end wallcovering, lighting, etc. ...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I still stand by my comment regarding the table orientation - if not then I would use a round table. I would work with a semi-sheer roman shade with drapery panels corner to corner from crown moulding down on a lovely rod perhaps with a crystal finial. The other option as istenhu suggested above is a grosscloth wallcovering with a similar color silk dupioni panels - this would be another route to go if a pattern panel and wall scares you. Attached is my round table with upholstered chairs in a dining room I did for a townhouse; this room had very square proportions.
  • thelakehouse
    12 years ago
    Do you have any pictures of the other living areas in your house that you could post? This could help, as there are both simple and bold suggestions being given.. All are fabulous though! The possibilities for your dining room are endless, so tying in what is already "happening" in your other spaces could help you narrow your choices down.
  • mitsy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I have attached three more photos of our kitchen & living space which is all main floor, entrance has long hallway into livingroom. They too have no window coverings and are not exactly as they should be as far as furnishings or final look
  • mitsy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    enterance from both directions.. all walls are white and bare and have no window coverings of any sort
  • thelakehouse
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Really pretty rooms! And those floors are stunning! Color on those walls will make all the difference and really warm things up, I think.... You have great bones in all the spaces shown, Can't wait to see what direction the experts steer you in after seeing your existing furnishings and floor plan!
  • PRO
    SRM Architecture and Interiors
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You've got some nice bones there-- sounds like you're just missing a little "pop." Check out a few of our dining rooms for a little inspiration. Happy designing!
  • mitsy
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    -suggestions are round table & rectangular, how do I know which one to go with?

-I find it hard to know what to put on walls and where? I am struggling with idea of art work or perhaps nice glass cabinets on side wall, on other side of the larger window there? perhaps then placing a large standing mirror where the current dresser is?

- I could also envision beautiful wallpaper w/chair rail or a nice paint with wainscotting and perhaps carrying that into the entrance area and living room, but not sure?

any comments on what ideas work best?