Software
Houzz Logo Print
firsthousejohn

Paint color?

12 years ago
Looking to repaint kitchen and I'm think a very pale tan. Don't want too white since quartz counters are black. This yellow came with house and it has to go! Welcome ideas.,thnx so much

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    I love those bar stools- can you share the manufacturer? I agree with the soft white-- the tan may not look great with the light wood tone of your cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful! Except for the paint color. The yellow doesn't work with the pink/orange undertones of the wood. Tan will be tough to pull off. It will either blend with the cabinets or the undertones of the tan will clash with the undertones in the cabinets.

    Have you considered going bold? Choosing a color that makes the cabinets pop! Burgundy, Burnt Orange, Chocolate Brown.

    If your not that bold, maybe a sage green?
  • 12 years ago
    Remember this room does not float somewhere all by itself. Think abou the rooms next to it and how the colors will flow from one room to the next.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    A classic gray or an off white perhaps?
    Riverwoods renovation · More Info

    East Meets West · More Info

    White Dove OC-17 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

    Classic Gray 1548 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Can you post pictures of the room that shares the kitchen wall?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I can definitely see a blue-grey like Boothbay Gray HC-165 from Benjamin Moore in your kitchen - it will look great with the cabinetry and the black counters. Also attached are some photos of a bedroom/ensuite done in this colour so you can visualize it better. Good luck from Montreal!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This might help too.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with Lauren....maybe something like this
    http://houzz.com/photos/2310698

    The blue/gray suggestion although pretty for a BR will be too cold for your kitchen, especially with the stainless.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Ironically, I think the blue/grey could make the kitchen warmer and more inviting.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks everyone, I'll post more pics tomorrow if what other rooms are in the area. I can't think you all enough for your help & knowledge.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Everyone, here is some more of the pics. It's a living blue living room leading into an area where I'll put a dining table, and I am taking down a piece of that blue wall to,open up the blue room so it flows better into the yellow rooms.

    So soft white, Greyson through out?
  • 12 years ago
    Grey through out, not cold grey, but a warm grey?
  • 12 years ago
    And yes the hanging pots will be outta there.

    Thnx for your input.
  • 12 years ago
    Classic grey by Benjamin Moore, light almost white
  • 12 years ago
    This is a pretty neutral warm gray. With the strong color in your LR, it would look great!
    Revere Pewter
    http://houzz.com/photos/1291372

    The yellow has to go!
  • 12 years ago
    I have/will add color with art, some plants, etc. you think I'm on the right track? Ok, I'll stop and wait for comments. Just excited I guess.
  • 12 years ago
    I have similar colour cabinets as you and funny my kitchen was also yellow and I hated it... It went the opposite direction and painted a dark brown, Otter Brown I believe, and I love it with the cabinets. I did this a number of years ago and still am not sick of it yet and still get compliments. (Looks even better when my kitchen is tidy, lol) ...anyways figured it's something you may not have considered yet.
  • 12 years ago
    I also had yellow walls at first, and changed to this Benjamin Moore Sage Tint and loved it. We have since moved and got lots of compliments from potential buyers. The house sold quickly, and I think that color had a lot to do with it!
  • 12 years ago
    the otter brown above is very good - not what I was thinking until I saw it.
  • 12 years ago
    This is the perfect time to think about a whole home color pallet. . . What are the colors that you love, how will the colors flow from room to room in your house. How do they work with the things that your not going to change.

    I have attached two to give you an idea of what I am thinking.
  • 12 years ago
    This is a sample of how the colors work together with the colors that will stay.
  • 12 years ago
    Here is a blank that you can upload to most paint color visualizers and add your colors