Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_pursglove

What should I do to this fireplace??

I'm going to be beginning a complete remodel on a new house soon and in a quandary as to what to do with this fireplace. It is so bulky and swallows up the entire room, but its non-working and I'm not sure if it worked at one time or it was always just decorative, so I'm hesitant to demo it as I'm not sure if I will find anything beneath it but wall (and I would still like to have a heart in the room). I will obviously remove the mirror above it, and I thought of just painting it and/or covering it in stone veneer (though not sure if that will work with these bricks) and maybe covering the cement mantel with a more contemporary wood overlay, but I really am hating the bulkiness of it and not sure what to do. Anyone have any ideas??

Comments (32)

• homedesign_consultants
    9 years ago
    Is it a functional fireplace? Is there a TV in this room? is this the whole room, or just a corner of it?
  • marywashington
    9 years ago
    Can you get the fireplace flush with the wall and make it modern with stone facade
  • Melanie Pursglove
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! To answer some of your questions, right now it is not a functioning fireplace, but I'd like to put a vent-free gas insert in there if possible (not sure if the clearing is big enough but could probably demo the area around it if needed). Let me also clarify that this is not my furniture - there was a renter here who moved out before I bought it. I fully plan to replace this carpet with hardwood, re-drywall, replace the window, add new baseboards & crown moulding, etc. The fireplace is what I'm having trouble with. This is both the living & family room so the TV would be going above the mantle, though I probably won't wall-mount it since I'm remodeling this house to sell it. So, with that in mind I'm trying to keep my costs in check but I'm also a perfectionist and want people to be really wow'ed by it.

I love the fireplace in this picture and that is really what I'd like to achieve. I think just demo'ing that flat part at the bottom of my fireplace (not sure what you call that) I think that would at least make it look more contemporary and I could achieve the look in this picture. Can I do that without messing with the entire fireplace?
  • PRO
    BetterWall
    9 years ago
    Demo'ing the base of the fireplace can introduce new challenges, such as the structural stability of the fireplace. I agree, the taupe color is really outdated and really distracts from its structural design, but when you update the carpeting and other elements, you may find that just painting the fireplace white (or a variation) will give you an updated and modern look you're seeking. You can also use candle holders or small sculptures to enhance the fireplace opening if it's non functioning.
  • Melanie Pursglove
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    can i cover this kind of brick with faux or natural stone veneer?
  • homedesign_consultants
    9 years ago
    if you're going to re-sell it, then there is no real need to demo the surround, hearth (the lower part) or the fireplace.. As suggested, paint the brick white, and maybe paint the hearth (the flat bottom piece), the insert (where the ventless fireplace will be) and the top mantle piece, a dark espresso/walnut shade to make them stand out. If there is hardwood under the carpet (in many older homes, it usually is), the painted hearth will look fine against it...Another idea would be to consider painting above the mantle an accent color to stand out against the background paint. check my portfolio to see what I did with my fireplaces..(I had 3 of them!).
    Melanie Pursglove thanked homedesign_consultants
  • Melanie Pursglove
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thats interesting, thanks for the suggestion! can someone just tell me if covering this kind of brick with stone veneer (either faux or natural) is possible?? Just wondering because the grout in this brick is so deep in, the surface is much more uneven. It may not be the most cost effective approach but I just want to know my options!
  • marywashington
    9 years ago
    I had a traditional fireplace with large mantel. I redid it with stone and gave it a more modern look and the insert is a Valor propane insert that heats wonderfully
  • homedesign_consultants
    9 years ago
    Wouldn't placing a layer of stone veneer on thick brick make this 'big' fireplace bulkier? the veneer (in the pix you like), is actually similar to the brick you already have, albeit yours is all grey instead of patchwork.. so maybe paint separate brick layers different shades so it looks like the veneer you want?
  • PRO
    Now Interior Design Studio
    9 years ago
    I would frame in some of the stone work add floor to ceiling shelving or cabinetry on both sides and paint all the finished wood white. The mirror should be framed or updated too. Having this wall completely framed in will make the room feel lighter and larger. Good luck!
  • Melanie Pursglove
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    well if you look at the picture again, you'll see on the right hand side of the facade there's like a thick all-gray strip. see how it ends before it gets to the opposite corner?? it also looks like the inner frame right around the opening isn't as deep on the left hand side as the other (and i don't think thats just the perspective of the picture). i'm not sure what thats all about, i need to look at it in person again to really see whats going on there but if it really is asymmetrical like that i'd like to fix that and painting it wouldn't solve that problem.
  • PRO
    BetterWall
    9 years ago
    Unless you have relatively high ceilings (8'6"+), framing up to the ceiling will make it look swat, especially if the room is square and small (which it seems). You can veneer it into smoother surface, will make it look lighter than the stone. Another source of the "chunkiness" is likely the mantel. A color change here would also make it lighter, especially if you make it a slighter lighter color than the fireplace itself.
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    9 years ago
    since it's nonfunctioning and is stealing valuable floor space, I vote for removing it. as for advice on a new focal point, I'd love to see more of the space first. ;)
  • tcjoy
    9 years ago
    Honestly Melanie I do not think it will cost excessive more to mount TV above a mantle and the look of 'A Crew of Two' pic above is perfect example of how 'Wow' that would look. You can do this, but please even if planning to sell put TV up above mantle because that sharp look in staging will only help sell quickly and with more $. Take from one that has 'been there done that'. :) Have FUN!
  • PRO
    Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
    9 years ago
    This does not look like a real fireplace. If it is it would have a deeper firebox with an opening to a flue at the top. If it is not real or have the potential to be utilized as a fireplace then I would remove it. Installation of a new gas unit would require certain structural and fire and safety codes that need to be met in which this unit doesn't seem to have. Don't waste any time on it if you don't like it. There are a multitude of options that can be done once you get rid of it.
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    9 years ago
    it's hard to say not knowing how big the entire room is. Based on the picture above the room look way too small for such large fire place, maybe too small for any fire place at all. The furniture look oversize and the short "curtains" make the room look even smaller. I would get rid of the mirror to start with, replace it with a bit smaller piece of art, something colorful. Would get much smaller sofa with clean simple lines and not so "cushy" (look bigger than might be) facing the fire place and a side chair, have an area rug 8 x 4 (solid color please) and a larger coffee table. Get a full size drapery panels set (which can be stationary) and take it all the way to the ceiling. A side table with a nice size lamp would complete the look. If your room is small, avoid clutter at all costs - getting rid of all the "cute little things" people love to collect for some reason.
  • MaryAnn Ahrens
    9 years ago
    Sorry, but there is just too much going on. Remove the corbels above the window. They're not even being used and don't go with the feel of the room. The curtains definitely have to go to the floor even more importantly than to the ceiling. And, declutter. Empty spaces are OK. . . I'm a plant person so where there were empty spaces, I'd probably put a tall plant or two. Don't know what you intend to do with the furniture but you've got lots of other suggestions on that.
  • Valerie
    9 years ago
    There are no windows on the side of the fireplace, so It's asking for built-in shelves. Replace or frame the mirror above the fireplace, or a better option is to remove and replace with a picture. You can also repaint or resurface (with stone) the fireplace if you want to spend that much.
  • kakunia
    9 years ago
    Keep the fireplace but decorate around it! Check out "non working fireplace ideas" on houzz - it'll give you lots of stuff to brainstorm with ... depending on what the rest of the room is like, doing built in shelves may make that side of the room too heavy (and SO typical) ... why not add in large paintings, large photo frames etc on those walls ... also ... adding in built ins will block a part of the window that is already there ... unless of course when you replace the window, you will take this into account. All in all, I like the fireplace, I would keep it, and even its dark grey colour can work well as long as you use the right pieces of furniture. Or you can paint it. :) Good luck and have fun! PS: And yes, good idea to get rid of the mirror. :) PPS: TVs over fireplaces are a bad idea - unless you want a permanent kink in your neck.
  • Scott Booth
    9 years ago
    You are fixing this house up to sell. If the fire place is nonworking then get rid of it...If it is save your money and paint it. Focus on the hardwood and new molding. I would get rid of the bookcases on either side to give the room more space. You want to make the room feel bigger for potential customers.... Stage it with smaller furniture pieces and area rugs to show different seating arrangements.... Glass coffee table will give the appearance of more space. Make the room function as a living room. Television over the fireplace is perfect. Choose colors that are going to allow the potential customer to see how their things will fit the space. Keep it simple and remember you have a whole house to fix up... Wow the potential customers with quality trim work that fits the style of the house... People like bright well lit rooms... drapes should allow good viewing out the windows... I think once the mirror is gone you'll see the fire place fitting the space better. A gallon of paint would be my starting point and any good carpenter can cover that mantle with quality plywood and trim... Stain it, stand back and see how smart and cost effective you were. Keep it simple...
  • Christine Johnston
    9 years ago
    you can even get ventless eco-friendly fireplace set ups for not that much - a fireplace is a good focal point, and just nice to have. if it could be made more flush with the wall, and some good stone with either a color above, or a tv. wall mounting for tvs isn't expensive, but i hate the wires so have someone do it or build a rustic wood facade to hide the wires. just have fun with it and think long term what you would enjoy
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago
    Does the home have an exterior chimney for the fireplace? That would be the first indicator as to whether it ever worked or not. Look for fireplace experts in your area whould would be willing to give you an inspection and estimate of what it would cost to replace/repair the fireplace (for a small fee); base your decision on that.
  • PRO
    Baires de Diseño
    9 years ago
    Reduce it to its minimum expression removing all the unnecessary bricks.
  • jklb1950
    9 years ago
    I love contemporary, so my 2 cents worth would be to replace the fireplace with a sleek, wall-mounted version with glass stones for the bed of the fire. If you want a mantle, make it very angular. Good luck in your remodel. That's very exciting.
  • David Richard
    9 years ago
    Visit www.omegamantels.com they do a lot of fireplace face lift
  • PRO
    Julie Smith Fine Homes & Estates
    9 years ago
    If you want to save allot of money do what I did and get some glaze paint with a metallic finish. Paint over the brick. You will still see the brick but it will be prettier and much more modern. You keep your focal point and it is so inexpensive and easy.
  • mackenziedarlene
    9 years ago
    crew of two...you hit the nail on the head...this is amazing, I absolutely love your idea.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    I agree with others: most people like the idea of a fireplace, working or not, so I would paint it all the same color, including the raised part to the right and the wall above. I think it's the color, rather than the design, that is the problem. The size of the brick looks like subway tile dimensions, or the modern ledgestone dimension, so it will have a modern look to it. You can not remove the hearth (the raised part) but how about tiling the top (same on the bump out to the right)? I like the offset design of the mantle. You could play this up by tiling that trim piece underneath it, or do something completely different to finish the mantle (same material as floor?) Another thought: cutting the mantle back so that there is no overhang would give it a more modern look, too. You could paint this a striking color to liven everything up! Or how about painting the existing brick and then using a similarly dimensioned and colored ledgestone on the wall above? It depends on how much you want to spend and to some degree, what the style of the house is (what does the outside look like? You don't want to ignore that)

Add a nice, low-contrast paint to the walls (I would paint ceiling the same color), maybe some inexpensive roll-up bamboo blinds paired with curtain panels a shade or two darker than the walls, and I think it will look great.

Farquar Lake Residence · More Info

bay house · More Info

Dallas, TX: Brian and Katherine · More Info

My Houzz: Scandinavian Style Inspires a Bungalow's New Look · More Info

Brush Prairie House · More Info
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago

Is that a large decorative piece over the window? Woah, if it is I know you are taking it out. I would raise the curtain rod to a level equal to the top edging of Fireplace, it will make the ceiling appear higher. Of course that's if you are going to hang drapes. If going with blinds that's different, and you may use a cornice board at top which would set very close to ceiling. Getting off point sorry. With your FP, is the mirror attached to the wall or free standing? Either way you're taking it down and whatever's behind it will be exposed. I like the concrete mantel, if you want to change the look with minimal cost, paint it to look like marble. It can be done. You can blend 3 different colors with the current one, creamy white,gray,gold etc. just blended. Don't give it a solid look, it needs to look 'swirly', like real granite. I'm an avid viewer of home improvement shows, and I'm sure you can lay atleast a veneer over the brick, and an inlay right around the FP opening. I wouldn't take any stone veneer above. Possibly could use the tile you use on the inlay around FP opening IF it is a flat smooth material, with a minimum shine. The mantel however should have a bit of shine so it won't look like a big flat slab against any other material, or paint you use. I would make the ledge around the bottom of FP look the same as mantel, or leave it if it works with whatever you decide to change. I'm not sure about cost for your budget, but I think even if the FP is non working I would install a door covering to finish the updated look. But that's me and I'm picky with those things. If the shelf to the right isn't connected, then it shouldn't be there, and may have left with the renters. ( I have several rentals and I know you can inherit things) since a TV will be on the mantel I think I would put a grouping of fairly tall candel holders, 3 and vary the size, make sure they are to scale with the area they are sitting. Or group of clear, or faded color glass vases/containers. It is not a place for a lamp. You could put a few different lanterns, clean lines, from really large, large and med. Nothing too small or it will look even smaller when used there. To give you an idea or two..not necessarily exact.

• auntqueenie
    8 years ago

Marble look

Opening and hearth

FP door

Inlay tile work around FP opening