Software
Houzz Logo Print
mmakf

Please please help!!

12 years ago
Dear Houzzers,

Finally our new couches came in and I love them, extra seating, comfort and the style makes me wanna decorate the whole room around the couch, making it a focal point.
The TV wall is originally gonna have stone veneers all over running into the kitchen too. Should we do white gray stones, just around the tv or the whole wall?
Please help bringing in details an decor with existing set up. Wall color, rugs, curtains, pillows, etc.

Comments (45)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You could do a vertical arrangement of stones straight from the floor up to the ceiling in a big stripe ( kind to mimic a fireplace). That would draw attention upwards to the vaulted ceiling, a huge feature in the space. An area rug will help anchor the living room space, and is an opportunity to bring in some color. If you are to use curtains, make sure the rod is hung high on the wall and is wider than the window so the curtains can stack without covering it. Curtains are a great way to create the illusion that your windows are larger, and help to soften the space. Pillows are another great way to bring in color. I would try to stick to using two colors, but you can add interest by using different patterns and textures. You have enough couch space to add a variety of pillows. A large mirror in the dining space behind the sofa will help open that space up and make it relate to the rest of the space. Make sure to pull some colors from the living room area into the dining room to help unify the room as a whole.
  • 12 years ago
    So not the whole wall but just the central fire place with TV?
    Ottoman is just temporary, I was thinking of upholstering too. Hubs likes the windows without curtains and I wanna add some drama..can't decide..lol. Should we even consider coloring the walls? I wanted and have a big round mirror for the dining room wall, but I feel like color should be little richer on that wall, dart grey or black. I was thinking black and white rug or simple grey. And bring in the color with pillows and display items, the TV corner had floor speaker, hence the shelf mounted into the wall. I can do a floor lamp next to it or introduce an end table with a nice lamp on top?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like CertaPro painter's idea of running stone vertically from floor to ceiling to mimic a fireplace, but I'm concerned the cost of stone, even if it's a veneer, may cost more than you want to spend, and will require a pro to install. Consider the Vein-Cut 12x24 San Michele porcelain by Daltile set in a straight lay pattern horizontally (like the attached picture). The movement in the Vein-Cut on this wide tile will look fabulous and it's offered in three colors so you should be able to pick a color that compliments your granite counter tops. I also recommend that you pick a color of grout that blends with the tile to minimize the appearance of the grout. This is a rectified tile so you'll be able to set the tiles very close together (1/8"). Don't be afraid to tackle this project on your own, but do buy a book at Home Depot to help you on your way.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    With the ceiling lower in the dining room, I would avoid a dark color, as it would make it cave like. Nice for evening dining, but not so much during the day. It you want drama, a large starbust mirror will do the trick. Will a black and white rug compliment your granite and do justice to your couch? Consider colors you already have (beige, grey, white, blue) so you don't end up with colors that don't blend. The more basic the rug, the more options you have with paint, accessories, art and pillows. A shag or a fake hide could be fun? Hold off deciding on the paint until you have the items mostly selected and keep looking at photos until you decide on what you want. You'll start to see you and your husband keep favoring certain looks and colors.
  • 12 years ago
    If I do curtains, they will not go all the way up to the ceiling as one window has crown molding and other doesn't, should I consider hanging them just little over the window below the molding so both windows are aligned?

    Windows besides TV are narrow. I may do Romans but after the stone/ tile is installed. What do you all think?
  • 12 years ago
    What do you think?
  • 12 years ago
    In the first two photos, the colors of the rug and curtains look off, but in any case, the patterns of the two compete. Is the rug green, blue, or gray? Look for window treatments in a solid color that complements the color of the rug.

    If you're going to keep the four square art pieces on that wall, they need to be lowered a lot. Place them so the top edge is a tad higher than the two small pieces that flank it. Then lose those small pieces (sconces?) altogether.

    The whole TV/fireplace wall disturbs me. At first I thought the fireplace was a too-short TV console, the TV looks awkward taking up ALL the space between the two windows, and I think a stone will just exacerbate the unbalanced nature of the wall. I would consider extending the fireplace surround to the left and right and replacing the TV with a smaller one.
  • 12 years ago
    More pics
  • 12 years ago
    @gloveraxle -everything is gray but different shades of gray. It's really hard to match everything. How lower should we bring the art? I can get rid is sconces, so you think they will look good around the mirror? Fireplace- was designed to put stone veneers on top. TV is big, agree! Hubs don't wanna compromise:)
  • 12 years ago
    Closer inspection reveals that the fireplace appears to be not built in. A gas direct-vent appliance perhaps? I tried stone veneer on the wall and opted for a simple fur-out instead so the fireplace looks built in. I'd carry it to the wall on the left, and go an equal distance to the right, if possible.

    A slightly smaller TV balances the wall better. I added a fairly neutral rug from Pottery Barn and some funky Pomada ottomans from Patron Design.
    Pomada Ottomans · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    OK, I see the new living room rug. It looks good. The brown ottoman has to go. I'm going to rehang your art right now. Back in a sec,
  • 12 years ago
    Art goes about here, yes, really this low:
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think the sconces will look good anywhere, to be honest. For one they're too small, and for another, they don't seem to fit with your decor. It looks like you're going for a subtle gray and yellow look, but I think you're being a bit too subtle and missing the kind of pop you need.

    Your sofa is fab, the pillows, dining set, and both rugs are great, and the quadtych is sleek and interesting, but a little dark. I think the curtains compete too much with the dining room rug, and I don't think the mirror does anything for that wall.
    Karishma Patel thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    I know you probably won't agree, BUT, I would drywall over those two small windows and stone veneer the whole wall;) It looks like you have plenty of window light, and with the TV there the windows are useless.
    Karishma Patel thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with groveraxle on the sconces and the curtains;) The clock should maybe find a home in the kitchen? or elsewhere.
    Karishma Patel thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Have you thought about wiring for a chandelier over the table and removing the floor lamp?
    Karishma Patel thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Thankyou! Really appreciate the input;)
    Margo- love the idea;) but we have come far way now, renovations were done 2 years ago, just doing touch ups. Groveraxle- love your input and your comments:) I will get the ottomans from patron designs- fun!! Curtains- I can return but thought that it will compliment the bare solid couches with a print that flows? More pics of the corner shelf and the fireplace;) I will bring the art lower and remove the sconces- I bought the mirror and outside return policy, do tell how do I use it in dining, I was adding glitz with it:)
  • 12 years ago
    Thankyou again Margo;) suggest some prints, I can get solid ones too:) let me know if that would do justice to the LR for everything being solid:) sconces will go:)
  • 12 years ago
    Art would make a huge difference in this room:
  • 12 years ago
    For chandelier, I am on a hunt, for a drum shade, perhaps a solid black?
  • 12 years ago
    I'll bet everyone's surprised I didn't hang the great big canary. ;-)
    Karishma Patel thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    Go solid on the curtains. Go wild on pillows, art, those funky ottomans.
    Karishma Patel thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    And more yellow art:
  • 12 years ago
    the entire wall would make a statement I would do the entire wall
  • 12 years ago
    I'm sorry, I totally ignored the original question about the stone veneer. Here is a stone I happened to have on hand. I think with the windows, the too-large TV and too-small fireplace, the stone just adds to the confusion. MO.
  • 12 years ago
    Stone wall with a rug closer to the one you actually have:
  • 12 years ago
    Thankyou so much! Groveraxle- I thought abt black and white before:) fireplace was supposed to have stone veneers as well:) so it blends in, no white at all. The color of veneer should be brown? I wAs thinking white with little slate/gray. Also do I think if I changed the top color in dining to gray- the mirror would stand out? I will bring a tall case with yellow flowers in them?

    I don't know what to do with the mirror, I can't even return it:( gloveraxle- plz suggest options with mirror. You have mad photoshopping skills....keep them coming! Love them:)
  • 12 years ago
    mmakf, I can fix the fireplace easily so no white shows. Will do it in a minute. Maybe we can make the mirror work, but I'm going to attack that part tomorrow. I'm pretty tapped out today. (I've had no AC since Wednesday and won't till Monday evening, and it's been 100 degrees or more. Violins here.) Back in a minute with the fireplace wall.
    Karishma Patel thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    .
    Karishma Patel thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The chair rail is so high makes celling look lower , shouldn't be higher than 32" lower is better , remove it . Continue the crown around the room. Paint walls a blue gray to blend with sofa so won't look so big curtains to match walls hung under crown take down the dark pictures. Paint lighter shade of walls make look higher. Bigger glass coffee table, a pattern rug blue an cream manny down throw pillows, from discount store if can't have them made..24" an 18" some long narrow ones.
    Karishma Patel thanked Custom Interiors By Jerry
  • 12 years ago
    Groveraxle- still waiting:)
  • 12 years ago
    Little dark! Solid curtains- do they go?
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, I think they drag down the room.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How about something like these?
    Bamboo Printed Window Panel · More Info

    Modern Stripe Silk Window Panel · More Info
    Karishma Patel thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Margo! I will bring in some lighter curtains:)
  • 12 years ago
    Lol wrong chat!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the stone you can find some that will add texture and not be to busy or heavy for that area. Love the sofa. I am not a fan of any drapes. They just collect to much dust. What about shutters or something you can easily clean or dust
  • 12 years ago
    Mary-we have blinds already installed, I think the drapes will not make the walls look too brown as the blinds are dark brown too. Pic attached.
  • 12 years ago
    Okay which works the best?
  • 12 years ago
    I like #1 the best:)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Margo!! I will keep the one u like and return the rest. It's a white curtain with grey trellis- works right? Thinking of painting that mirror wall all gray, top to bottom. Once we get the chandelier, will move the floor lamp and place a palm in the corner. You think the mirror wall will need sconces too?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I think that stone veneer all over the TV wall running into the kitchen is a great idea. However,stones would rather be beige to ochre.

    . Also, your lovely new couches need to be brightened with some colorful cushions. Hope following pics may help.

    jihen's house · More Info

    living style · More Info