Software
Houzz Logo Print
northwindgirl

Kitchen help!

12 years ago
Cabinets are in great shape but hate the color I would like to paint them. I also have dated diagonal 4" tiled backsplash to deal with. Can the tile be painted too??

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago
    I would get a pro to paint the cabinets, and a professional tile guy to carefully chip out existing tiles and replace them with whatever you like. If you're keeping the gray countertop (as I would imagine unless you really want to $pend), then I'd recommend very very pale gray cabinets - almost white really - plus a tile backsplash incorporating gray, white, and one other soft, grayed color like pale slate blue or pale slate. Stainless microwave would be good if you could swing it.

    The cutout-style valance looks a lot nicer than the usual scallops but I'd still probably remove it as an unobstructed window would look even better.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would not paint them if they are in great shape, but I would change out your back splash and hardware on the cabinets. The cut out valance above your sink would go also, it kinda dates it. Add an updated roman blind or valance to the window.

    Oh! I would also take down, is that wall paper on the ceiling? that's what I would take down. Paint the walls a color that coordinates with your back splash tile.
  • 12 years ago
    What is on your floor ? Is it wood or brick colored tile ? The cabinets look very nice as.they are. Wouldn't it be easier to change the floor (in case it's tile). I would go for a slate tile.in medium grey with a hint of redish brown in it. Also the countertop color is not terrific, I would change it for something in a not too speckled grey and the backsplash could be a metallic mosaic in greys and black.
  • 12 years ago
    Alternatively if you want to keep the floor, understandable if it's wood I suggest you have the cabinets painted in a mat blueish black, keep the countertops as they are but change the sink for a stainless steel one and the backsplash for the above mentioned metallic mosaic. Whatever you choose let us know !
  • 12 years ago
    It's kind of a shame to paint such nice cabinets. How about a darker glaze? A tinted toner coat and a glaze could give you a wood finish more to your liking? Change out the hardware, remove the valance. Backsplash demo is not that big of a deal and you could add under cabinet lighting if there isn't any there. Since the counter is very plain, you have a lot of options for backsplash material that would really add flair to this kitchen.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that swapping out the hardware on your cabinets to something more fun/modern, removing the wallpaper, and painting/replacing the backsplash will go a long way to making the space look less dated. If you do end up painting your cabinets, a two-tone look is very modern and would help detract from their traditional door faces. If you have a little more room in your budget, consider replacing the cabinet doors with a shaker or unadorned style, and adding in some glass/frosted panels to the top row.
  • 12 years ago
    Your cabinets seem too nice to paint.
    I like diagonal set tile but can see getting rid of the black diamonds. I have sprayed appliance epoxy on tile. Touch ups are easy but I only did it tile the didn't get a lot of wear. If you can find white replacement tiles you could just chip out and replace those black tiles.
    I'd start with getting rid of the wall paper and choosing a paint color.
  • 12 years ago
    The cabinets are in great shape! I would paint the cabinets a chalk paint with dark knobs, a simple & timeless white subway tile back-splash & marble counters are a similar material for the marble look ! Add a few neutral accessories & pops of color & it could be a fabulous & fresh new kitchen ! Paige.Rose @ http://thequaintsanctuary.blogspot.com/
  • 12 years ago
    Can't give any advice until we know what decor you LIKE? Traditional, modern?? If you can afford it, remove your soffitts and a cabinet company can add upper glassfront cupboards with interior lights to take them to the ceiling. Your $ will be well spent to have a refurbishing specialist repaint and/or glaze your cabinets. Not a job for amateurs. Check out www.ccfauxfinishes.com for a successful company that does just this!
  • 12 years ago
    The layout looks fine as does the counter and sink, just fix the tile and cabinet color and you should be good to go.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The gray backsplash and countertops are working against your cabinets. I'll guess it's more of a hassle, expensive, and questionable, to paint the cabinets rather than change the backsplash and countertop. Replace those with colors that look nice against your cabinets. It might be you hate their color because they look bad against that gray.
    It looks like you have cherry wood floors? Those are also fighting against the grey in the counter and backsplash, but they do seem to go with your cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    Just went through this exact thing. First to answer you, yes. I recently painted the tile in the bathroom exactly like this, and it went well. You have to clean super good. Then apply a primer such as "Gripper", I used that and so far so good. Made a big difference. As far as your cabinets and before you paint, I would absolutely remove the piece over the sink between them. That screams dated. Next I would change out the hardware to a more updated knob style after you choose the paint color for the tile. Then if you still do not like them, paint away. I personally done mine in a creamy white and adore it. Good luck
  • 12 years ago
    I think your kitchen looks fine with a little updating. Your cabinets seem good quality. If you are dying to change the color and don't want to spend a ton of money having them professionally painted, maybe you could add some antiquing in the groves of the panels. Updated knobs will make a huge difference. Take down the fretwork panel over the sink, remove wallpaper and paint. I think a marble with white and grays in a large subway tile as the backsplash, would tie in nicely with the countertops.
  • 12 years ago
    Darker or lighter glaze over the finish. My choice would be to go lighter. Take the trim down over the window and replace backsplash with some color. I love the glass tiles, but they may be too modern for you. Go subway tiles, if so. My neighbor has these cabinets and she had doors cut out and glass put in. Hers look great. You can have lights put in too. Adding upper cabinets and removing the soffit is a big expense that doesn't make sense unless you are completely redoing the kitchen. Definitely get rid of wallpaper, and replace pulls. The white on them makes them look country (dated). If you have more to spend, invest in good stainless steel appliances. I replaced my microwave with a stainless one that is also a convection oven. Come summer, that's all I use. A new, upgraded faucet would be nice too. You won't lose spending on these things, even if you completely redo the kitchen later.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd brighten the cabinets to a distressed creme as they seem to clash a bit with the floor right now. Definitely change the backsplash to tie in the cabinets with the floor and counters, remove the wallpaper…replace the sink with stainless steel and a transitional faucet to update the whole look.
  • 12 years ago
    I painted my tile backsplash. It worked great! Four years and two kids later it still looks fabulous.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Agree with TF Larkin
  • 12 years ago
    I have exactly the same color and shape of cabinets and they look very different from yours because of colors around them. I have antique bronze knobs, darker granite tops, and natural stone color backsplash.
  • 12 years ago
    I would not paint the tile, they're still in style :) Just work around them. Cabinets and be painted and wallpaper should match cabinets and tile. Doesn't seem like you have to go so drastic as painting the tile...that color will go with anything. I would go more whitish for cabinets, with maybe some black screens to replace a couple of doors. I'm no decorator so go with the pro if you're really troubled :) Your kitchen is nice anyway.