Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

A see-through bath: too bold or just right?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first time I stumbled across the see-through bath on Houzz.

Is this a dream bathroom feature of yours?
Image:
The Art Deco House · More Info

Comments (74)

• nboston
    9 years ago
    Unique but doesn't look comfortable at all.
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    I'd be afraid if I slipped, I might break it!

Lol
  • Gabe Winter
    9 years ago
    If its going to be see through there better be room for two! And make it longer for us tall people!
  • marleesanders
    9 years ago
    Different and interesting but not for me or my house
  • katherineevers
    9 years ago
    It's kinda cool. I generally like transparent furniture. But this image seems a bit too Hugh Heffner... or perhaps Jay Gatsby, for my personal taste.
  • cabingirl13
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    looks way too uncomfortable.....plus who really wants to see that all that nakedness?
  • PRO
    Quality Bath
    9 years ago
    There are clear tubs that are more ergonomically designed... and some that are not quite as exposing.
  • PRO
    Creations Nadia Interior Design
    9 years ago
    BEAUTIFUL :))))
  • Muriel Geny-Triffaut
    9 years ago
    I love this tub, the whole bathroom even. By the way, using cleaning grade white vinegar in a cheap spray bottle works wonders for keeping glass and tile surfaces pristine looking and clean.
  • PRO
    Oasis Tile
    9 years ago
    It looks like your taking a bath in a fish-tank.
  • adelou1
    9 years ago
    Beautiful so nice to think out side the square.
  • kazmike259
    9 years ago
    Brilliant! If you don't want to see some-one in that bath, just don't open the bathroom door!
    Great idea.
  • sunnie2day
    9 years ago
    Right, not too keen on the fish tank look (I'd feel like a plecostomus, lol!) but the partials are really good looking, and with vinegar would be easy to keep looking crystal clear.

Nice find, Emmeline, I hadn't seen these! We're skipping tubs for shower cubicles but if we were to be considering tubs it would now have to be one of these.
  • Kaaren Baumgartner
    9 years ago
    Slippery, slippery tub and floor tile...sides of the tub look shoulder high...looks dangerous to me, but sure is pretty. I liked some of the less exposed ones too, wonder who makes each of those. I'm a tubber and am finishing my second remodel of bathrooms. I'm on the tub prowl, as my bathroom will be next. Looking for an air tub w/ lotsa air holes, slanted and comfortable back, arm rests and grab bars, and maybe that cosy looking 8 shape. Houzzers, any that come to mind? Aquatic?
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    9 years ago
    I would never have that in my bathroom but I think it's beautiful. That said...to each his own. If you LOVE IT, go for it. I never buy anything unless I'm in love with it cause I know I'll care for it. It's like having kids, they're a lot of work but you love them to death so you care for them. If you don't mind the extra work just do what you love.
  • nosoccermom
    9 years ago
    Squashed buttocks against glass aren't pretty to look at.
  • Amy Klein
    9 years ago
    ^ That. My thought exactly.
  • Linda Milligan
    9 years ago
    Looks great in the picture, not in my bath.
  • forker273
    9 years ago
    I think it's a great look, makes the room appear larger...but from many of the reactions there must be a lot of people out there taking their baths were lots of other people congregate, as opposed to where they and their spouse or SO only spend time?
  • woodieguy
    9 years ago
    Interesting comments all...personally, I love the idea. Not quite sure about the shape, a little more contoured might be better. Yes, if you could afford this luxury, go for it. Would be fun with your SO!
  • Susan Shea
    9 years ago
    Not my style, but if you like windexing a tub after every bath or seeing visible soap scum, this tub is for you.
  • godsplansforme
    9 years ago
    Personally I like this tub, its unique and modern. No one would see it so why not feel sexy while relaxing.
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    Nope, nope, nope.
  • Sam Hill
    9 years ago
    Too public
  • roxieturner
    9 years ago
    Seems cold and stark, not a big fan of modern styles I prefer a claw foot tub and a walk in shower without doors.
  • locrian
    9 years ago
    Oh. -_- I had assumed it was a soaking tub rather than a bathing tub.

It would be a lovely soak...dimmed lights, flickering scented candles surrounding the base, tall ice bucket with chilled Perrier, soothing background music.

*Sigh* I can just imagine...and day dream...
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    If that was my tub I'd wish I had a mermaid tail.
  • PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    9 years ago
    Love it! Sexy and romantic... Modern luxury at its best!
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    It is PERFECT for this space! I absolutely LOVE this. Very modern and sleek.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I like it.
  • billiesue14
    9 years ago
    I don't take baths. I prefer a nice, big walk in shower. Even if I did take baths, this wouldn't be the tub for me. It doesn't look at all comfortable, and it would be a nightmare to keep clean.
  • Kaaren Baumgartner
    9 years ago
    QUALITY BATH: Thank you so much for you help w/ this. I DO like those very much...just what I had in mind...if the backs slant, they're winners. I SO appreciate you taking the time for me and adding the URLs. Love the Houzzers, always the BEST. Enjoy the summer...my remodel of the second bath continues...they will put in two skylights today...I swear I could sell these door-to-door, I love them so much, and if they leak, they're in a pretty water-safe bathroom, and they will bring light to the rest of a dark room on the wooded side of the house. Again, thanks to you.
  • PRO
    Quality Bath
    9 years ago
    My pleasure, good luck with your remodel!
  • morish
    9 years ago
    Awesome! LOVE somebody that dares to be different!! If an item is cleaned often enough it will not create a problem...
  • stirlingole
    9 years ago
    Fancy a see-through bath?

I think it LOOKS wonderful BUT I'm aware this bath will be the Biggest Chore to Clean and restore to pristine condition After Every Bath.

I just know my excellent cleaning lady wouldn't be able to keep this bath looking as if no one ever filled it with eater, let alone bathed in it ... LOL

So it's a 'NO Thanks' from me
  • Laura Cormier
    9 years ago
    i like a mix of modern and antique...i would add a clawfoot tub...could always paint it a striking color
  • PRO
    Pam Ozment Designs
    9 years ago
    Absolutely Fabulous!!! Looks more like art than a bathtub. Of course you would have to LOVE it to commit to the upkeep.
    But it gives the same wonderful open airy effect that you get with a clear glass (not frosted) shower...so much prettier....
  • minxfrancis
    9 years ago
    that is the best bath that i have ever seen.
    fantastic idea
  • PRO
    Nancy Kempf Fine Art
    9 years ago
    Shame on me....it looks very elegant....but pity the person who must clean it!
  • PRO
    BelyDyab
    9 years ago
    Just. Good
  • help me
    9 years ago
    I'm not understanding why we feel "exposed" in the bathroom? Aren't your doors closed? What happens when you shower in a glass door shower? I'm totally loving it and if I could afford the piece and someone to clean it, I'd totally have it!
  • Rebekah Lowe
    9 years ago
    What a beautiful idea, but that tub is not my style. Might be the shape or that the bathroom seems really 80's to me and I can't get past the feeling I'm looking at a old Vegas hotel room...remember those really cool, but super dated see thru champagne glass Jacuzzi tubs. But again...love the idea of a see thru tub...just maybe not in this setting?
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    @ najeebah1-"Just who would you feel exposed to? You're IN the bathtub, which is in (I hope) a closed bathroom... Its like being in a glass standing shower." My thoughts exactly...unless there is also a mirror on the ceiling.

Maybe you could spray the inside with Rainex-;-)
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    Regarding feeling "exposed," emotions and gut-reactions are not always logical, nor do they need to be, especially in a case like this (if you don't like the tub, don't get the tub). This bathtub obviously will show more of a person in it than a normal one would. Many people look at the tub and imagine themselves in it and even knowing that no one is likely to see them in there, still "feel" more exposed than they are used to. I'm sure if it was actually in someone's home, they would get used to it, but the initial gut-reaction is one of self-consciousness.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    And that's why you're the "sensible gal"...LOL
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    Maybe it has something to do with the position, that people can feel more vulnerable when they are sitting or lying down, or that their privates might be exposed in a different way.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I like it..I was actually thinking at one point of getting one when the bath will be renovated. However, I have to think from the practical point of view...glass is tough to keep clean and shinny..I see that with my shower doors.
  • wrldtrvlr3341
    7 years ago

Absolutely stunning. I would not even mind cleaning this. It's so beautiful.\!

• chinatsun40
    3 years ago

Would look good if you also have a frameless glass shower. I think location is key. There should be nothing distracting on the ‘wall’ side of the tub. Don’t want to look through the tub at ground level and see ugly white baseboards. On the photo the tile has been extended to meet the floor.