Software
Houzz Logo Print
thart522

Need help with our kitchen

12 years ago
Hi, we are looking to update our kitchen. We would like it to be more neutral, so thinking about Shaker Beige for the walls. Any other ideas to liven up the space? We have recessed lighting over the island, so maybe doing hanging pendant lights instead?

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think Island Lighting is definitely a great plan, either an island light or single pendants used in multiples would suit your kitchen well. Here's an island light that might work nicely in your kitchen since it appears to compliment your appliances and cabinet handles: http://www.1stoplighting.com/lighting/2-250-747-0-438595/Quoizel-Lighting_Emery---Three-Light-Island-ER353BN.htm

    Or if you wanted to use single pendants, the Beso Pendants in a brushed steel finish from Feiss would be a fantastic choice: http://www.1stoplighting.com/lighting/14-455-628-0-276539/Murray-Feiss-Lighting_Beso---One-Light-Chandelier-F2706-1BS.htm
    (seen in the room shot and product image)
    thart522 thanked 1STOPlighting
  • 12 years ago
    Do you think we should paint the cabinets? I love those lights by the way! Also, if we get a new fridge, do we need to remove those cabinets next to it?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the cabinets the way they are. I think just painting the walls a lighter color will brighten up the space.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Beaverton Kitchen · More Info

    Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc · More Info

    Crisp Architects · More Info

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

    Cabinetry Product Photos · More Info

    Country Home and Kitchen · More Info

    Mill House Kitchen · More Info

    Custom Kitchen Island with Blue Macauba Quartzite · More Info

    I agree with vjs12 about your cabinets and think just painting the walls would update the space, you have a lot of wall paint color options. What colors do you like? Pendant lights would be great over your island. I would not paint your cabinets. But you could just paint the island cabinets like in the last few inspiration photos?
    thart522 thanked Eileen
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There is nothing like a fresh coat of paint to brighten any space. With things as they are, and depending on your tastes, a medium to brighter yellow color may bring a element of youthfulness and radiance to the space, reminiscent of the former years, of grandeur times. A lot of time is spent in the Kitchen, so It should be inviting and comfortable, which underscores the importance of a good source of adequate lighting, dispersed liberally throughout. Two pendants lamps should do the trick,

    Best of luck with your project
    thart522 thanked Winston Ricketts & Associates Inc. Gen struction
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi thart522, your kitchen is very nice, not much needed to achieve your results. As already suggested change the paint color, pick a light shade from your granite, grey, yellow or beige, and paint that door also. Great idea to add two pendants above the island, but then match it with a new one for the dining room table. Update the window treatment (idea attached), or just remove the valance. Good luck :-)
    thart522 thanked Lyn Martin Designs
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all! We painted the kitchen Shaker Beige this weekend. It made a world of difference. Now we are on to the pendants and the window treatments. Do you think we can keep the windows bear with just blinds, and maybe add some trim around the windows?
  • 12 years ago
    Empire Cuisine, do you know where to get the blinds in that picture you posted?
  • 12 years ago
    Here is after painting with Shaker Beige
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi thart522, nice job with the painting, love the color, and removing the valance has taken 10 years off your window lol. I am in Quebec our local manufacturers - Altex, Elite, Maxxmar and Shade o matic . . .the latter has many dealers they supply to a google search will provide you the information. On Houzz I found Laura Ashley Flat Sheer Shadings, there is always Hunter Douglas, but I find them very expensive.
    thart522 thanked Lyn Martin Designs
  • 12 years ago
    I am in the US, but will look into the manufacturers you mentioned. What are your thoughts on the slider door? Also, what color were people saying to paint the pantry door?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would do the same window treatment on both windows keeping the spaces cohesive. Now seeing that this is a slider it will have to be installed on the top of the window frame, (for an inside mount) I am not sure in the picture if it will be possible. I have attached a picture shows a kitchen window with an inside mount and a patio door as an outside mount. If you can't do the same window treatment, stay with the same color. Painting the pantry door the same as the new wall color, blending it into the wall and not pronouncing it with white. I keep looking at your before and after pics and WOW huge change, you must be happy with it :-). Have you picked out any lights yet?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We have great pendants on our site that I think would look great in your space. Also, I would get rid of the red paint, paint the cabinets, as well as replace the hardware on the cabinets and drawers. All inexpensive fixes that go a long way!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the island lighting is a great idea. However the shaker beige in my opinion isn't a lively enough colour to tie the whole thing together. I would go for a more bright and bubbly colour making the room stand out, making it casual enough for a kitchen at the same time! I also think that your work surfaces and cabinate doors are far to dull and need to be updated to a more modernised look. This will open up the room making it seem not only lighter but more spacious too, as at the moment the dark wood is absorbing all the light. Try changing the floor to a lighter shade of wood too.