Software
Houzz Logo Print
jaimetyler1

Honey oak built-in bookshelves

12 years ago
Help! We have built-in bookshelves in our family room that desperately need updating. They are currently stained honey oak, and the moulding in the room is also honey oak. Should I paint them white, stain them a darker color, or something else? Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    White would look really nice against the brick, and do a nice job of brightening up the room, especially considering your furniture is also dark! I would consider painting the molding as well. Hope this helps!

    Kristen
    Akkseum - 12b School street
    Jaime thanked Akke Woodworks
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Paint!
    [houzz=
    Project in Tiburon · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    One of my favorite looks as of late is in painting wood black, with white accents. May not be the right fit for your room but I think the room could use a bit more contrast. I attached a couple photos, hopefully it can give you some inspiration. Let me know how it works out.
  • 12 years ago
    Nope ,nope .YOU GOTTA paint them white.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd do a warm white, and paint (or wallpaper) the backs! Did this recently in a friend's living room and it completely transformed the space.
  • 12 years ago
    I think white built ins with taupe walls and a new ceiling fan would look great!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for the input!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    One more vote for a warm white!
  • 12 years ago
    Not stark white. A creamy white or anything like the a warm sunshine color will balance the exposed brick.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love white cabinetry and woodwork, also. However, sometimes it just is not feasible to begin painting existing wood built-ins unless you are willing to change out many other things so the entire house 'flows'. These cabinets could look more attractive and updated with some shelves removed, and using fewer updated display pieces of varying sizes. Update the fireplace screen, to eliminate one of the 'black holes', and update the ceiling fans. Move on to other accents. For example, change out the pair of black chairs to something a with a little more character, like a new fabric print that will pop against the fireplace and built-in. You don't have to spend a fortune. A couple of armless chairs from any number of inexpensive sources could do the trick. There is more that could be done, of course, but start with a couple of smaller things, then expand as budget allows.

  • 9 years ago

    I have the same exact senario.. only I have more wood than you do.. After researching I'm going to do.. which in your situation also I think would look nice. I personally love contrast. I'd paint the bookcase except for the counter, top boards facing us and fireplace white. At the end you can decide if the top boards need to be painted. but might make nice contrast. Some other suggestions would be to paint your fan black (the gold part). It will update it. or like some suggested a new one. I did that and cost me 5 bucks. Go from there. After that material and starch it up on the back of bookcase. Use any design/color you'd like just don't make it tooo light. The beauty is you can take down anytime or get a new design. I think once you do this your room will pop a bit more.. however.. after that and only then would I paint that beautiful wood trim around the room. Personally I don't think you will need to paint the rest of the room after this because it will bring a focal point and the updated contrast your looking for. think it would balance your room out without spending $$ and alot of time.. and of course once its painted .. you can't go back to wood. You might also consider staining the parts you left wood darker if you still want more contrast.. hope this helps.. please post pictures whatever you choose..

  • 6 years ago

    I have the same exact issue.