Software
Houzz Logo Print
tlutkenhaus

Help needed with Shower Niche nightmare!

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
My husband, is planning to leave the raw edge on the wall tile that is bordering the shower niche. I tried to explain that leaving the raw edges looks wrong. But he is telling me that a contractor would do the same. Is he right?

Comments (22)

  • 12 years ago
    They way I have seen them is the inside of the niche tile butts up to the outside piece
    T Lu thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 12 years ago
    Use a chrome edging
    T Lu thanked V C
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I bought a very special bonding primer and had color matched. There was no way around mine bc edges were just unfinished. Mine was a step down at entry and I would have exposed edge no matter what! Came out great and traffic has done nothing. However, yours is in a shower so I'm not sure if that's ok? I mean we paint siding material so maybe an exterior paint? If the tile has been set maybe it's an option but I hope pro finishers weigh in with this option!

    Ps-it's actually that tile in my profile photo on that very edge on the "rise" face.
    T Lu thanked a_rainbow
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Better shot. Again mine wasn't in wet area.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We usually do it this way with a bullnose tile on the sides overlapping the wall tile. Or a trim piece of some kind.
    bathroom shower shelving, niche, bench · More Info

    Showroom · More Info
    T Lu thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • 12 years ago
    There are two niches side by side so I am really hoping the niches will look uniform in the end. At this point I am hoping we are track with this bathroom remodel.
  • 12 years ago
    I had never paid any attention to what my tiler used, but it looks like he used bullnose tile to give a somewhat finished look. It looks good to me in person.
    T Lu thanked Lynda
  • 12 years ago
    The next step will be the border. However, to keep life simple I am considering not adding a border to the shower. Any thoughts?

    Thank you to all who commented. I feel a lot more confidant in our remodel. Thanks again for the support.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    No border. I'm my opinion, it was a fad that has now become obsolete. I clutters and is especially going to make your shower walls look extremely busy given the 2 niches. Keep the lines clean. My 2 cents
    T Lu thanked Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i suggest using bullnose or a Oil Rub Bronze Schluter. It will be a much cleaner look
    T Lu thanked Cusano Construction Company Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    Good news is that we took your advice and nixed the border. I am glad we did.
  • 12 years ago
    Now we are in disagreement over how the floor tiles should be placed. I feel like they need to be a consistent grain. However, my husband wants to have them going all different directions. Which way would look best? The picture shows them all different directions.
  • 12 years ago
    I prefer the grain going the same way as well as you can.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If this is for the shower floor, I say square or on a 45
  • 12 years ago
    I have a question about the tile on the shower curb. My husband has it matching the brick pattern on the wall. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It is not possible to eliminate all raw edges. However, it is best if you can finish as many edges as possible. Not only for your enjoyment but better for resale down the road.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We like to finish our edges with a bullnose edge or with a small pencil liner. It gives it a nice finished look.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for the comments. My question about the tile layout on the curb. Should that tile layout have been symmetrical or was it ok to have it match the wall?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nothing wrong with it matching the walls.
  • 12 years ago
    Which grout color would look the best?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I prefer when there is less contrast between the grout and the tile, so it looks like the bottom one to me. Hard to tell on a computer screen.