Software
Houzz Logo Print
krista_rambow

Our Front Porch says "Blah"

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Does anyone have ideas on how to help stylize our blah front porch? I would like to have something a little more cheerful and welcoming. I'm thinking a potted (silk or real) plant or two, perhaps pretty candle holders in different sizes ....? I'm stumped, and would love some creative ideas. Our front yard faces west, so there is a bit of warm afternoon sunlight for a few hours.

Comments (13)

  • 12 years ago
    Your screen door looks dated so you might change that to a full view door. Is it possible to remove the stones along the right side of the walk, and add colorful flowers? You could add another taller urn of flowers to the right of the front door, and paint the concrete step and front porch area.
    Krista Rambow thanked kpappal
  • 12 years ago
    I would remove all those hooks and clean things up first. I would paint or change out screen door, new rug, bench, potted real plants, flowers.
    Krista Rambow thanked willy4
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all very much for the suggestions! They definitely help build my vision.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with MarleneM, with the further suggestion of putting a few potted plants or flowers on the gravel rocks to the side. If you really want to keep the screen door, why not paint it too? The same bright colour as the door will make it disappear.
    Krista Rambow thanked ladymojo
  • 12 years ago
    I would use a trellis on the right wall with some colored vines. Also take old screen off and add new black screen door.
    Krista Rambow thanked donnaf27
  • 12 years ago
    Really large mirror over the bench, tiny end table would allow you rest a drink. Match bench cushions to front door color.
    Krista Rambow thanked Pelenaka Lopez
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think a new door, and though I would need to see the rest of your house, a blue color could be nice to add some excitement. I also agree to adding some potted plants or other low lying design elements to the right side of the entrance way. A different shade for the door than that in the photo below may be better, but at least this will give you an idea of what I'm thinking. Good luck on the project.
    Krista Rambow thanked Dawson & Clinton
  • 12 years ago
    Love all the comments. Change the screen door and/or paint to match front door. Choose a rug first to help with color choice of front door. I have found great outdoor artwork for my porch. You might look into that for the large wall. Too bad this one is so expensive...it would be great...
    http://www.windandweather.com/metal-garden-wall-art/willow-tree.htm
    This one is nice too...
    http://www.grandinroad.com/birds-on-a-wire-wall-decor/outdoor-living/outdoor-wall-art/25339
    A tall narrow plant to the right of the door, in front of the window. As for plants in the rock filled bed...if you don't want to remove the rocks and plant, you could get decorative ceramic pots in a variety of colors and designs to sit in that area on top of the rocks, and of course add plants in them. Since you get afternoon sun you should have many choices of great colorful plants. Many of the best plants take full sun. Just remember to water them. I also found some self watering pots that have a reservoir that usually last up to 4 days without watering. Here is their website - http://www.gardeners.com/search?q=self%20watering - Not the most decorative pots but perhaps you could set them inside a decorative pot. Good luck. I think it will turn our really nice.
    Krista Rambow thanked nramsey1
  • 12 years ago
    Lovely comments and suggestions! Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful advice. The overall house color does need updating (it is also a blah pale yellow with the red brick)-- that is a project likely for next year, for sure. I have gone out several times this summer with the intention of finding something to brighten things up on the porch, and always come back empty-handed and confused. Now I know what I need to focus on finding, and I'll keep my eyes open at our local TJ Maxx and Marshalls. My husband loves our screen door -- ugh! I definitely agree that it has to go!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the screen door to as well as the small that small table ... spray paint can make a world if difference.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A Wire Mesh “green wall” would brighten up and modernize your entryway. Our website www.mcnichols.com has information on McNICHOLS®’ Wire Mesh line.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Krista, I've got the perfect idea for the right side of your walkway. These Hanging Garden Trellises can be hung from ceiling rafters and will bring beauty to your entry.