Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckwillia89

Need help with awkward wall space

ckwillia89
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Need help with what to put on akward wall next to corner tv.

Comments (84)

• PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    9 years ago
    Hi, i have got an idea with your wall , with using the size of your tv, and continuing the view, and i don't know if you understand my english because i am a french photographer, but look at the result, photo is more that words for me !! This project is with Paris photographs
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    I think the TV is mounted too high.
    could it be lowered and place on a piece of furniture specifically designed for a corner of the room
  • JoJo
    9 years ago
    I would vote for the corner console under the TV (mounted as is) plus the arc lamp or other tall, weightier lamp to balance out the heaviness of the corner. Then step back and take a look and see if you need a piece of art to the immediate right of your door behind the couch. And two details: add pillows and change out or paint those white switch plates to match the walls. They can be so distracting to the eye!
  • arkelleymd
    9 years ago
    Mounted tv reminds me of a hospital room. Put it on the long wall surrounded by art hung gallery style- you'll still be able to binge watch Netflix, I promise!
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    Too often people make the TV the focal point in a room, that's a mistake. I think your sectional should be repositioned, possibly the largest portion going against the wall, then it would open up the room. I don't know what it would be facing (photo doesn't show), but seems to me the sectional is taking up too much space in the center.
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    9 years ago
    I think the corner is needing something under the tv to ground it....in my LR, I have a floating shelving unit built-in under my mounted tv and it really makes that area look "finished". but a solid furniture piece like some sort of wooden cabinet or a chest of drawers (great for a dvd collection and some extra storage for games, kids toys, blanket, etc!) could nicely fill in the otherwise wasted, empty space. also opt for more substantial light fixtures with white drum shaped shapes which will fill in some empty visual space and will brighten up the space even when not on. as for wall art. go large in scale and non-generic looking. do not buy your art at a big box store. quality art prints are very affordable and can look so great with good mounting, matting and framing. I am always looking for great budget friendly art, and I love art.com....just do the framing yourself to save $. modern pieces don't need anything more than a clean lined silver frame to finish them off (so no mounting or matting costs ;) ). I also think this space is needing some color. look for curtain panels in a color you love and add some coordinating but not matching pillows to the sofa, look for it to be in your art, perhaps a new area rug, and a few accessories. keep us posted!!
  • Laura Lang
    9 years ago
    I agree with most, the television needs to be a bit lower. It would be nice if you could put some type of storage unit underneath the television as well. As for the end wall, shelving is a good idea. You can put items, books and/or pictures on the shelves. Below are two types of shelving that would look good.
  • Diane G
    9 years ago
    The TV corner just looks unfinished, here. It needs to be anchored and balanced. I'd put a triangular cabinet...ready-made or custom, under the TV and shelving on the sides. A tall, skinny cabinet on the side by the doors. The shelves could be probably be bought and made to look custom. I see this on DIY blogs, all the time.
    I also like the pic above that suggests long low cabinets and a large piece of art. Good luck!
  • Diane G
    9 years ago
    Ann Dee...Please reveal the source of that attractive triangular TV cabinet! I need one for our TV corner...or else I'll have to wait (forever) for my husband to build it...;(
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    @ Diane G.Further to my above reference this unit could be available at Pier One Imports as they may carry many items out of Indonesia.
    You could check it out.
  • sscherlen
    9 years ago
    I still think you should hang it on the long wall, about even with the right hand side of the Couch, and place a console underneath it, to help square up the room. You could add a more substantial coffee table or a chair to the right wall to give more visual weight... and depending on if you need that room-zapping glass door, remove it and add a substantial light to the left corner to balance the room. Good luck, I have a similar but even more awkward set-up:).
  • birdwatcher
    9 years ago
    Lessimore nailed it! That is the perfect solution, the lamp is perfect also. It adds the cozy factor!
  • qofmiwok
    9 years ago
    I would put the tv on one wall on an articulating arm which you can pull out on an angle when you want to, but let the tv lie flat against the wall when not at use. That way you have a full wall left for decorating which will look better. Some of the built in solutions above are nice too, but obviously more expensive and not sure what your budget is

Keep the tv as low as you can; most photos on Houzz show them too high; I read somewhere they do that for staging because it looks better in photos, but don't let it fool you into thinking high is good.

Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but there's also some goofy ideas here. Remove the door? That's probably the best feature of the room, and who doesn't want more yard access, more light?
  • PRO
    Mosaico Digitale
    9 years ago
    Look at the innovative creation from mosaico Digitale for your wall.
    Mosaico digitale creates world-class tecnologic evolution of the classic mosaics utilizing resin tile any digital image can be tiled acrooss any surfaces.
    Our digital mosaics are 100% customazible, in addition to our core designs we produce custom work for clients who want to bring theyr individualized art to the wall.
    For more information contact: sandromosaicodigitale@gmail.com
    www.mosaicodigitale.com
  • roxieturner
    9 years ago
    Love what lessismore did.
  • rach71
    9 years ago
    I think someone said it before, but it's worth repeating. Unless you have a reason, I'd lower the tv height. Your eyes, when seated should be level with about the top third line of the tv. If you add a couple of side tables, tv table, etc it will break the bland wall up a bit and hide that long pale skirting board and the power outlets. Then add maybe some framed family photos or something to the wall. In the corner behind the door, you could put something tall, like a fern on a pedestal or a floor lamp or something.
  • Jessica Cueva
    9 years ago
    Get one of those cheap white curtain rods, bend it to were it can be screwed to both walls than get an epic curtain that drapes all the way to the floor and put a poof on it :) or no poof idunno. Trial and error. :P
  • weatherwaxx
    9 years ago
    You could probably split that sectional into two; more manageable pieces for not a large sum of money. Then you could create a 'U' shape facing the wall.
  • PRO
    Jason Chuck
    9 years ago
    If you move the TV to one of the walls, you can change it to a mirrored TV so it looks like a great mirror when it's not on.
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    9 years ago
    lessimore , that's functional , practical and meets all needs and balance. Not to mention an additional savings on new homeowners. Do you have enough space to extend to the other wall ; add to the right side of television leading into the patio- that extra bookcase? I hope. And too, it hides all the electrical outlets. ckwillia, can't wait to see what you decide.
  • L.
    9 years ago
    What I think would be really a geat idea and one that you would not have to worry about cleaning is a trompe l'oeil painting - something like a window or portholes. It would add interest to the wall without really being there.
  • zapper45701
    9 years ago
    I love books. Why not put a floor to ceiling bookcase on that wall? It need not fill the entire wall, but if centered, you can add smaller decorations (pics) to either side. If books aren't your thing, you might use the shelving to display a collection of items: clocks, china, glassware, etc.
  • lessismoore
    9 years ago
    I just want to say a big THANKS for all the likes! Hope the OP checks in soon.
  • acm
    9 years ago
    Well, you probably have more opinions than you can use, but my approach to that space would depend a bit on the art you have/like and how you see using the rest of the space on the left. For example, one large picture (or elongated grouping of smaller pieces) could line up with the end of the couch (i.e., centered on the wall), or you could use two pieces/groupings, one centered between the couch and the TV (thus in the LR space) and one between the door and the couch (sort of the "hallway" space -- the second space could be further defined with a narrow console table or bookcase underneath. It all depends on how you move around the area and whether some storage would be useful there.
  • ckwillia89
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all! Thank you for all the comments and help! We are planning to decorate this weekend and should have pictures by next weekend!!
  • lilredred
    9 years ago
    Have an L shaped bookcase from your double doors to the couch (along the wall) pop tv onto it at a lower height in the corner.Put a console table behind on of the ends of your couch.possibly the shorter end.It will help section your living spaces
  • marlso
    9 years ago
    The TV floats and needs something underneath- especially since it's not flat to a wall. I would build a simple bookcase or cupboard right underneath ( or surround), so it looks as though it's part of it. Maybe even paint it sleek black or slate grey if that color works in your look-with nice door pulls so it becomes the feature of the room instead of the eyesore. This will not only ground the TV- but will also provide a little storage for your other entertainment gear.
  • PRO
    STEM Wood Design
    9 years ago
    Lessismore, your solution is "more is less". Bite the bullet and get rid of the sectional.
  • danakd2
    9 years ago
    I wonder if switching the dining and TV spaces might work. One option not already mentioned is to add ladders against the bare wall. This would provide space to hang cozy blankets, reading materials, hang photos, etc. Also, my home has a similar layout issue and large custom sectional. We ended up separating the sectional pieces, adding larger pillows on unfinished end and decorative end table.
  • Lee Johnson
    9 years ago
    try a large, simple painting
  • joannpb
    9 years ago
    I think the basic problem is that the wall is visually one decorating space, while the floor plan has been divided into two. If you fill the space behind the sofa, on the end wall, with a large bookcase (floor to ceiling or floor to door-top level), you will balance the wall and eliminate the problem and can then continue your decorating of the seating area.
    That will also hide that lovely lamp cord hanging in space behind the sofa - something that isn't immediate, but you'd have to deal with eventually.
  • PRO
    Staged & Styled by Susan
    9 years ago
    I've read all the threads on this discussion, and here is my take. I agree with some of the comments that the TV should not be the focal point of the room. Everything is arranged around that TV...It looks very out of place just "floating" in the corner and is too high. I would move the TV to the big wall and have a credenza or rustic cabinet (larger than the TV) underneath. You could do an art wall surrounding the TV with frames of various sizes. This will help the TV blend into the wall and not be the obvious feature, like the "big white elephant." I'd move your sectional and kind of float it in the room, facing the TV wall. If the sectional is in pieces, I'd remove a piece to make it smaller. Add colorful graphic throw pillows for the couch to bring color and texture into the room.
  • ronzdezines
    9 years ago
    She's not listening like so many....I do not understand why some people come on here for help when they are so set in their ways and totally unwilling to accept change. But that applies to a lot of things in this world besides how to decorate a room. LOL!
  • hollydn
    9 years ago
    Just a thought, the sectional is multiple pieces, can you use some of it separately or place one of the pieces in another room or rearrange the components?
  • ckwillia89
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi ronzdezines. Just wanted to let you know I am reading every comment posted! I love all the ideas and comments and am considering multiple options posted here. As I said above I will be shopping/decorating this weekend and will forsure be moving the tv down and either put it on a stand or have a floating stand underneath and then will also be Putting a bigger lamp on the table and larger brighter pillows. For the wall I am considering all the ideas but need to go look at furniture/pictures/art this weekend before I decide what the wall will exactly look like! Again I'm not in the position to sell my couch so I am making it work with what I have. Just wanted to correct you that I am willing to accept change and appreciate everyone that has provided pictures and even modified my space on their computer (that really allows me to see it visually). But if you don't have any ideas or help please don't comment. Thanks!
  • treeh0use
    9 years ago
    First I must say that I did not read All the comments so I apologize if I am repeating anything. We have a large white wall and a 50" tv on a console. I did not want to compete with the TV by putting artwork around it. Then,,,,I realized I found the perfect spot for my 6' cowhide. I even wrapped it around the corner in the the hall just a touch. It just happened that way as it was difficult to hang such a large floppy item and we just went with it. Everyone comments on it in a positive way. It filled the space without demanding attention to look at it close up. It's like really cool and fuzzy wall paper.
  • joannpb
    9 years ago
    I'm curious...there appears to be a good-sized window on the wall opposite the sofa; is there a terrific view that you consider the focal point of the room?
  • ckwillia89
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi joannpb! Yes there is a window right next to the couch looking out to our patio. See attached pics :)
  • designgirl178
    9 years ago
    turning the sofa to the blank wall and hanging the tv there--back up the sofa more for extra space, would make it less awkward. You may want to add a small chair or two that can be moved if needed to view tv. Good luck, hope this helped.
  • llmblonde
    9 years ago
    This is what I did with a long boring wall.
  • madilyngreiner
    9 years ago
    I love the bookshelf idea from lessismore! If you have kids they always have videos/dvds/games/toys that need storing and if you don't the shelves give you a wonderful opportunity to display cool stuff that is important to you. My one suggestion is that you try to purchase your items at a Goodwill/Salvation Army/Habitat for Humanity store. If the shelves don't all match you can paint them to match. I like to paint the inside walls of some of the shelves with a fun color to coordinate with the room. I also like to add molding from Lowes etc. to the outside of the shelves to dress them up. You can also do this with inexpensive bookshelves you put together yourself. I also like to mix things up by adding a tension rod to the inside of some of the shelves with material (curtains from Salvation Army etc.) that coordinates with the room. This helps break up the monotony of the shelves, adds color and hides ugly things that might be stored there. Have fun with the space! This is your opportunity to display your personal style. I do agree with lowering the TV and I might paint the long wall as an accent wall. BTW, if you do paint, don't let the sales people talk you into a whole gallon. A quart will work just fine! Good luck!
  • PRO
    Visions HOME DECOR Fashions STL Accents
    9 years ago
    I have a loft space like the one you have and it can be a little difficult to decorate and cause the great design dilemma that you are now faced with. Nonetheless, rest assured I have a great solution for you and it will surely put an end to your design dilemma. My name is Myki and I am a interior designer and stager, the owner of Visions HOME DECOR Fashions STL Accents. My solution to this dilemma is an All-Inclusive Media Grouping called Wall NA BOX which will totally give your room where your flat screen TV is mounted a decorating "WOW" Factor. First I would place the TV in the center of the wider flat wall and if it is possible turn your sectional to face it, then get the Wall NA Box Media Grouping to create a beautiful, comfortable, organized room/space. OK Wall NA Box will dress-up your wall mounted TV, conceal all the exposed cords and cables from the TV and your media components, WNAB will also give you the ability to place corded items like small clocks and pictures viewers on the shelf and you will never see the cords because they are accented not hidden, and there is more, with WNAB you can store out of sight games/toys/books and papers, seasonal blankets as well as anything else that you would need to store away to keep your room/space organized, safe, opened and clutter free. With WNAB you simply get a more stylish display of your flat screen television with a media grouping designed to fit your room/space that will truly be the wow factor you so deserve. I have attached pics of WALL NA BOX for your review, and you can contact me for more information if you desire. Thanks and Peace B2U!
  • joannpb
    9 years ago
    People who sell furniture like to describe sectionals as the ultimate in versatility, however, when you get them in the actual room it's apparent that most configurations don't work, one or two sort of do and one really does work.

I think you've got the one that works, there and you're right to work around it. You're also right to hold off throwing accessories at the empty spots till you feel comfortable with an idea. I think I already said this, but if you install a tall bookcase behind the sofa, on the end wall, you will, visually create a separate entry space behind the sofa and the rest will give the effect of a separate livingroom and be much easier to finish.

If you can find a bookcase that matches the wood trim, I think it would give the appearance of a built-in.
  • PRO
    Visions HOME DECOR Fashions STL Accents
    9 years ago
    Here is more information on Wall NA Box: Wall NA Box is a RTA) Ready-To-Assemble home décor media grouping furniture product. Wall NA Box consists of the following components:

Shadow Box Frame, Solution Décor Display Shelf, Décor Display & Storage Pedestal, Décor Cord Covers & Cord Cover Caps, Wall Mount Décor Display Frames

The following are just a few unique features of WALL NA BOX aka WNAB:
    WNAB is 100% Made in the USA and in the State of Missouri WNAB is made of wood and it is also made of another material which is also constructed as an easy to assemble (RTA) construction WNAB is a RTA media grouping, consisting of 5 components that are normally all sold separate to fashion the wall mount flat screen television WNAB is the added "WOW Factor" when you enter a room WNAB is a home décor grouping that will address/fix several decorating dilemma/disasters related to the wall mount flat screen TV WNAB is great for home, dorm, and/or office WNAB RTA constructions requires no power tools to assemble any of its 5-components, with only one component piece needing assembly WNAB fully assembled construction encompasses décor “wow factor”, space saving, organization, concealment, storage, illusion, and safety WNAB also have component pieces that can be sold separate ~ with new and innovative design features WNAB comes with everything you'll need to create a beautiful media grouping/space/wall all in a box
    Wall NA Box is available in 3 sizes for the flat screen TV and the pedestals range form 32" 42" and 48" wide with open back for storage. Three finished/colors black is shown, white and brown wood finishes. Also, there are three types of wall mounted shelves, cord management/concealment that adds an accent and can be cut to fit with utility scissors and adheres to the wall via double sided repositionable tape, WNAB décor cord covers can be painted to match your room/décor and as its name implies everything you'll need to create your space is all in one box, now YNV~ME getchaown Wall NA Box!
  • seazon1961
    9 years ago
    Can you break-up the sofa into smaller pieces? If you did you would find many more options for your room. You might be surprised how comfortable and spacious the sofa can be when it is not fixed as a sectional.
  • PRO
    LaMonica Custom Builders
    9 years ago
    wow! i am on the edge of my seat with anticipation! (-: so many great ideas and such a great space to begin with!
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    9 years ago
    You may want to consider is this modular wall system that can be matched to your kitchen or home decor, creating a design flow in the open space. The shelves can be easily changed or moved around and there is space for tv wiring behind:
    NYC Showroom · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-collection-contemporary-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~3863948
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-collection-contemporary-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~3863954

Let us know if you have any questions. Best of luck with your project!
  • madilyngreiner
    9 years ago
    I agree that shelves are the way to go. Check out Ikea too. They have a lot of great ideas and very reasonable prices. Check them out on-line if there is not a store near you. There web-site is a bit hard to navigate so you might want to send for a catalog. I still say you can also find nice shelves at thrift stores. If they don't all match and that is the look you want then you can paint them to match. You could probably find all of the shelving you need and the accessories for under $100 by visiting various thrift stores in your area. Whatever you do, have fun with the space. Use the accessories to show your personality! Good luck!