Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmd75

I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided to go with a more modern plan for the fireplace/surround. I am usually the "symmetry queen" but decided to push myself and go asymmetrical, after seeing a gorgeous photo on Houzz. However, I'm now panicking and questioning my decision. If I want to make changes, it's now or never! Any suggestion for "tweaks" we could make to bring a little more balance to the design...or should I just go with it? Help!!

Comments (205)

  • 12 years ago
    @cmsmiles...no, it's not in the middle of the room. I've posted other pictures of my fp in this feed if you'd like to go back and look at them. It will give you a better idea of where the fp is located in the room. And yes, one of the niches is supposed to be more narrow than the other. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Its really not off balance. The fp is centered. Eventhough the alcoves are different sizes, there is a sheetrock section on the other size of the fp that matches the alcove in size. The only thing not balanced is the steps. But i like them and you could easily adjust them to be balanced. I really hate to see you scrap such a cool and original fireplace. Id take a lot of the critisizm with a grain of salt. Nothing original looks like everyone elses, if it did it wouldn't be original. I hate to see you trash something so original and artistic to do something that looks like everyone elses.
    cmd75 thanked xposure
  • 12 years ago
    Well said xposure! Every Houzz dilemma is loaded with critisism. I hate to see cmd75 scrap the unique idea too!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree.
    I stepped out of this discussion for a while, because it was getting so heavy. However, I would like to say that there is a tendency on Houzz, for people to go negative when they see certain individuals go negative on a topic.

    Trust your design sense, it is very good.
    cmd75 thanked sstarr93
  • 12 years ago
    Absolutely, negativity on Houzz can sometimes seem to gain steam very quickly. I agree, you have wonderful design sense!
    cmd75 thanked Ann
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    okay well its to big for that space it reminds me of one of those places that they buried someone in so if you must keep it then make it the focus point
  • 12 years ago
    No---do not get discouraged. You were on the right track, just a couple of tweaks---do not compromise your vision and rip it out. I know it's going to look gorgeous when it's done. :)
    cmd75 thanked Natalie
  • 12 years ago
    Nothing wrong with being different, it's your home after all.
    cmd75 thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm not sure what the current version for the FP is by now, but here are a few thoughts on symmetry. It is wonderful when it serves us well. Most sweaters comes with sleeves placed symmetrically because we have arms that way. But placing a pin near one shoulder doesn't call for another near the other shoulder. One strong way to use symmetry is to have and break it at the same time. Here the FP is located in the center giving predominantly symmetrical distribution of masses around it. But there is then the freedom to not be religious about symmetry after that.

    The FP will already give a center line to the room, just by its presence. But you can break that and still have it. People are still symmetrical even when their arms and legs are in all kinds of positions.

    You've got enough symmetry going already. Break it, just the way you are.
    cmd75 thanked Martin Paull Design Studio
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just a suggestion on the stone : Equator
  • 12 years ago
    Can't wait to see what you decide after all this input - my mind would be boggling!
    cmd75 thanked Jenny Sutton
  • 12 years ago
    @Jenny
    Your post was rather timely..."I" can't wait to see what I decided as well! My contractor is heading over soon...and I'm still completely torn...Let's just say I see soffits in my dreams right now...;)
  • 12 years ago
    I must agree with Jenny. This has been more exciting to follow than any Netflix series. Cant wait to "tune in" each day and find out the latest design suggestion, pep talk, or soapbox speech. The regret is that it sometimes seems to add more pressure on cmd75 . So...will it be door#1, door#2, or door#3 ? The fun thing is that we are all rooting for you cmd75 in our own way !! How exciting!
    cmd75 thanked djpkdsems
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Frank Lloyd Wright was similarly misguided.... look at the big soffit he put on the Fallingwater fireplace.... if only he had Houzz to straighten him out!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The elevation looks a bit confusing to me. Because of the construction, the ceilings look to be the perfect Hobbit size. Is it your intention to make the fireplace a focal point in your basement. If so you've succeeded but, I'm not sure you'll like the final outcome. If now is the time to make the change I would do just exactly that.
  • 12 years ago
    sstarr- I guess one would have to be a Frank Lloyd Wright enthusiast to appreciate his style;) I have never been a fan. I see nothing appealing about this Fallingwater fireplace;(
  • 12 years ago
    Hi, it is great, but little heavy looking....if the furniture is sleek you need to rework ...
    If furniture is bulky could go this way I feel :)
    cmd75 thanked chuppi
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Margo, it's not so much whether we like FLW, or Picasso, or Chagall, or Geary..... there is enough interest in these iconic individuals to suggest that their artistic visions had validity.... that is, more validity than HGTV, love it or list it, or extreme home makeover...
    They didn't run with the herd
    Just my 2 cents, S*
  • 12 years ago
    I've never toured Fallingwater, but I very much enjoyed the Taliesin West tour in Phoenix. Not sure how I feel about the fireplace at Fallingwater, but boy do I love the exterior of Fallingwater!
  • 12 years ago
    Cmd75, there's such a thing as too many suggestions, so I won't make any more. But I want to wish you all the best of luck! You've been very patient with all of us, and I hope that whatever you decide, you'll have many years of enjoyment in your new space.
    cmd75 thanked makaloco
  • 12 years ago
    Similar to what another poster did. Took your picture and overlapped part of the conceptual one. I do like it when I see it finished. Your fireplace is a bit longer and I don't know how to switch the vases.
    cmd75 thanked nikitasmom
  • 12 years ago
    @Sstarr
    What an interesting discussion!
    I absolutely agree with you. On a macrocosm scale, there are plenty of other ways to view design.

    Many times there have been things that instantly evoke an emotional reaction of "how I would love to have that in my home." Some things conjure up the opposite response of "not in a million years."

    And yet there is a third group of "would not necessarily install that in my house, but my I really can appreciate the beauty and what a creative and talented mind came up with that one"

    But yet we are talking about cmd75's basement. In this Microcosm her perception, and likes, is all that matters. She keeps gravitating to balanced. A little less Picasso seems to make her happy.

    Cant wait to see the result!
    cmd75 thanked djpkdsems
  • 12 years ago
    One more cog in the wheel but when I read djpkdsems comment, it made me think that the fp is balanced it's just not symmetric. Asymmetry is not unbalanced by any means. With that thought in mind and the many comments regarding the fp being basically top heavy, I just inverted the pic cmd75 posted and thought, "Hmmm, wonder if making a piece on the top like the second piece on the bottom would work." Definitely an idea worth considering, I think.
    cmd75 thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay dear yes trim the fat off of it top bottom and sides and then your done that will work and be own with it
    cmd75 thanked Innovative Design Llc
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you are over thinking things and people trying to help are proposing design elements which aren't your style. I think you can dramatically change the way it looks by the finishes you choose.
    I would keep all the same except eliminate the lower LS portion and then extend the RS lower hearth all the way across extending from side to side. The use a stone veneer on the entire middle section. It would give it an almost floating effect.
    Good luck and go with what you like and don't second guess it.
    cmd75 thanked Brian Gannon
  • 12 years ago
    This whole conversation is about cmd75 feeling unsure of her rendition of a very ASYMMETRICAL fireplace she wants to copy (thus not unique as someone said) so I have to wonder why some insist on telling us how they only like a BALANCED design. There is more than one way to achieve balance so you display a sign of ignorance when you misuse the word balance' to only mean only when one side mirrors the other. Asymmetrical is not only a valid form of balance but is more exciting and can be thought of as a more intellectual kind of balance since it involves creating that perfect sense out of two or more
    NON-identical parts. Anyone can put one brass candlestick on each end of the mantle and it is balanced...albeit not very original nor interesting. It becomes more 'intellectual' if you will, when that sense of balance is achieved in a pleasing way using two dissimilar pieces. Even little kids soon learn that two people of different sizes CAN have fun on a sea-saw by adjusting the length of the board. In algebra you also learn how to create balance. Since this is about asymmetrical balance, does anyone really care if someone speaks strongly for only symmetrical balance when that is not the issue? I really love the analogy given by Martin Paul Design Studio above, it is wonderful! cmd75 you've now gotten a lot of good advice from people like Martin who HAVE studied art and design and whose advice is really worth listening to!
    sstarr brought up Frank Lloyd Wright who definitely favored asymmetrical design. He had a very strong philosophy about designing houses and also the furniture that went into them and architects learned much from him, however he had ideas that most have rejected as well like total control and total inflexibility: he told clients what they would have, never considered their wishes; he designed terribly tiny bedrooms that were all but non-functional because he didn't spend time in his. HE insisted on very low ceilings even though he was a tall man. At 5'3" his buildings all had such low ceilings I wanted to hurry outside to breathe! I've been in many including Talieason West and Falling Water and while spectacular in many ways, his need for control is what prevailed. That fireplace in Falling Water is wonderful in one way, the whole room was built around one enormous rock forming the hearth, and that alone is spectacular! The photo also points out that he insists his client use that one special color of red, period. Wright was a genius but you do not have to want to live in one of his houses! Good luck to you cmd75! Now go to work!
    cmd75 thanked Margery
  • 12 years ago
    Once again, thank you! thank you! for the advice, suggestions, honesty, and support! I feel like I have a whole team rooting for me...and I find that strangely comforting! @nikitasmom and @whynottryit...thank you for the images...so helpful! @djpkdsems...your "Netflix post" was hysterical. Thanks for the laugh. :) @sstarr...maybe that should be my new "inspiration photo"?? ;) So...for my "update"...I spoke with a fabulous local designer today and she'll be coming on Friday so we can discuss the behemoth. Feeling hopeful...:)
  • 12 years ago
    Enclose the two vertical sides and flush the top rectangular section. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    cmd75, a designer consultation is a great idea and will be money well spent to end up with a fireplace you love.
  • 12 years ago
    I think it looks really great as is! Maybe lighten the scale with the color of your finishes. I'd suggest matching the finishes in the inspiration photo, but make the bottom two horizontal ledges slightly darker. Love it!
  • 12 years ago
    Most of the time a designer consult is money well spent. Let us know the results of your fireplace design.
  • 12 years ago
    Can't wait to hear the designer opinion and then to see the final result!
  • 12 years ago
    Totally agree it's time to call some local help. Houzzers can do a lot but sometimes you just have to be "in the space" to understand all the nuances of it. Very hard to get the same perspective from pictures. Good luck and definitely keep us posted!
  • 12 years ago
    The actual fireplace itself looks to small for everything built around it. The different sized alcoves throws it off along with the huge hearths. Plus the huge soffit. And you haven't even put anything around the fireplace. It looks like all of that over designing is eating the fireplace.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    To paraphrase my sibling who was drained and maxed out from 4 weeks of painting, scraping, fixing, caulking, sealing, etc, as they readied their house to put on the market, "I have completed all that I am able to accomplish by myself; time to call in professional help.....and by 'professional help' I am not limiting it to only those in the housing business!" :-) Wise words indeed....
  • 12 years ago
    Hi there, you a done a wonderful job....it is not a math problem where there is just one right answer...go with what is convenient for you in terms of time, budget or other constraints :)
    Also the bulk invests of the top member can be reduced visually by painting half of it dark colour, or by painting a dark band in centre! Pls post finished pic... :))
  • 12 years ago
    cmd75 Hopefully by now you've learned to ignore suggestions by those who think it is 'just perfect as is' because you know it is not! You realized that 'something was wrong' when you came on line asking for help! When those same people suggest fake 'wrappings' and keep encouraging you to 'stack wood' by the gas fireplace (that'll freak out those 'dust bunny-chasers among us!) and fail to see what a silly fad that is, those who, in spite of all the good advice you've gotten from those who DO know and understand scale and proportion, still don't 'get it'...don't let them confuse you!
    It takes no skill to put those two candlesticks at either end of the mantle but it does take skill to get asymmetric proportions correct...and if it is not right, that is why it bothers you! Asymmetric balance MUST be correct or it will NOT balance! IT is a delight though when it works!

    As to a 'freestanding hearth' you must be very careful to see that it is very well supported from behind (inside the wall) because for sure, your 250lb friend will choose take that nice seat sometime and sure as hell, the wall will come tumbling down on top of him! You can't just stick it through dry wall!

    As to those niches...some of us have collections of interesting/valuable things needing a place to be displayed but if not, avoid creating a hole to fill! You're going to get tired of those not really valuable orange vases! Also keep in mind that the fireplace is the focal point so avoid creating a confusion about where you are supposed to look by creating THREE focal points. Simple is always best! IF you decide on a floating hearth that gives you the opportunity to CHANGE the display and not have to find things to fill an awkward space.
    I look forward to seeing what your new designer comes up with and don't get discouraged and 'retreat'! You deserve a lot of credit for 'growing' and be willing to meet a new challenge!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It is going to turn out great!
  • 12 years ago
    What if you were to use BM Revere Pewter and a darker colour on the assymetricals (such as BM Racoon grey or BM Majestic Sage)? You could also clad the assymetricals in wood or wood-look as it would warm things up.

    I am assuming that the 2nd behemoth is where the TV will go.

    One more suggestion: could the top soffit be cut down to the width of the other feature?
  • 12 years ago
    Cdm75 how are things going with the local designer? Someone standing there in the space has a much better vantage point. Space feels completely different when your standing there vs looking at flat images. I hope it goes great!
  • 12 years ago
    What was decided?
  • 12 years ago
    Just checked back to see the outcome - can't wait for the reveal!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi cmd75
    How did it go with the designer? Did he or she give you some good ideas and direction? I wont go so far as to ask what the outcome is at the risk of all of us chiming in again. But at least do you have some piece of mind about it?
  • 12 years ago
    A bit late to the party but I have to comment. Asymetric can still be balanced and I think the lower section of the fireplace is well balanced. I too like smoother finishes and am looking forward to a post of the finished product.
  • 12 years ago
    Whenever I try the extreme Asymmetrical thing I ultimately regret it. Just can't get comfortable with it. Don't like matchey matchey but equal placement of height, etc matters to me.
  • 12 years ago
    I feel for you, and I just skimmed through. You poor human being. :) I can imagine the frustration building. So, I will keep this short and sweet. Left recess brought forward.(less deep) - right recess brought all the way up to the ceiling - left front step, a tad bit shorter from the left side. I think this will give you the same look as your inspiration photo. Which by the way, I like. Most people are scared by different. That makes me like it even more. The room is big and amazing looking now. I can just imagine when it's finished. Post pictures, because I can't wait to see. I think the room can handle the soffit. If your unsure, shorten it a little, but don't take it away. And if you don't like it, I will gladly come pick it up. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!! It looks good. What I've suggested will make it look just like the photo. I think that's why it feels heavy on top. (not my words :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Sterling Radiator Covers a great option for your next radiator cover, call us 631-256-6880.

    WWW.STERLINGRADIATORCOVERS.COM
  • 11 years ago
    Any updates???
  • 11 years ago
    Ditto that, xposure! :)
  • 11 years ago
    cmd75...how disappointing! I saw your ccmd75 at the tope and couldn't wait to open and see thee miracle that you've done...and shoot, i'ts not from you! How are your plans going?
    anything for use to see ye We're all dying to see the new 'reveal'!!!t?
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH