Software
Houzz Logo Print
romapatel4a

Need help with updates to a kitchen

12 years ago
We just purchased a new home that has maple cabinets and I am not a fan. Since we are on a budget for improvements, I need help on how to improve the look of the kitchen with granite color, paint color, and backsplash maybe? We will be replacing the appliances and debated if we should paint the cabinets. Since we are on a budget and not DIY'ers probably not an option.

We will be putting in SS appliances and I want a more modern look. Any recommendations are much appreciated. I will surely post after pics in a few months as well!

I've attached the family room pic as well since kitchen opens to it. We will likely be repainting the baseboards and trim white since i'm really not a fan of the maple.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

  • 12 years ago
    I think a medium to dark color granite (I love quartz rather than granite, I just had Cambria Bradford installed in my kitchen) Cambria's Victoria would look nice with the maple. Benjamin Moore has a paint color selection guide connected to Cambria. It gives you paint choices to coordinate with the quartz. I would paint kitchen and family room same color. Change to hardware, try oil rubbed bronze. Subway tile backsplashes are popular and timeless. The tile comes in all colors and finishes. Larger dining table with new light fixture and get rid of vertical blinds.
  • 12 years ago
    the gray of the countertop is amplifying the orange undertone in the wood. a new countertop surface and wall color can transform the look of the cabinetry. take a cabinet door off and bring it to a stone supplier...be sure to tell them your square footage and budget, so they can show you options you can afford. hold the cabinet door against the stone for a good match...and don't rule out quartz!! then choose a complimentary wall color that can flow into the open DR and LR. remove the décor above the cabinets and seriously edit what's on the countertops (trust me once you spend $$$$ on granite, you won't want to cover it up. lol). as mentioned, remove the dated blinds, upgrade lighting fixture and fan. also add more lighting and large area rug to the LR and consider a larger, less country looking, perhaps even round DR table. lots of great potential! looking forward to your after pics!! have some fun with it!
  • 11 years ago
    Looks amazing!
  • 11 years ago
    Here's a shot of the other side of the room/family room.
  • 11 years ago
    We darkened the floors added granite, ss appliances, psinted the cabinets white and I did the island dark...also added the pendants and canned lighting in the kitchen and family room to replace the awful fixtures that were there before.
  • 11 years ago
    You did a great job! What color did you use for the island?
  • 11 years ago
    Did you have to go through the tedious process of sanding the floors before making them darker? We really want to darken our oak floors, but I dread going through the sanding process. I'm sure that's the only way, though.
  • 11 years ago
    We did have to sand the floors. We actually did it twice first time was botched by my painter...we still don't really know what the heck he did it was horrid. We then hired a new guy to completely resand and stain. Quite the nightmare! I have to check the package for the island color and get back to out I used rustoleuum cabinet transformation in a shade slightly darker than espresso...kind of wish I had done espresso looking Back
  • 11 years ago
    The color of the island is Tudor.