Software
Houzz Logo Print
mjaynes82

My New Bathroom!

12 years ago
I did this ALL for under $150 bucks! First time homebuyer so I'm on a tight budget! We bought two different lime green paint from Home Depot. Made stripes using painters tape and measured carefully. Then took the vanity apart, sanded it and stained it with Kona Brown Ultra Cover. Next was new faucet's from Home Depot and last bought a fun mirror at Ross. Always good finds there!

Lime Green Paint (2 colors) = $70
Kona Brown Ultra Cover = $12
Painter's Tape = $5
Faucets = $40
Mirror = $19.99

What do you think? Any ideas on how to remodel a bathroom for cheap? Thanks!

Comments (54)

  • 12 years ago
    Great improvement on a budget. Kudos!
  • 12 years ago
    Super wow! limited budget is certainly a big challenge, but here you go! you did it! :)
  • 12 years ago
    Fantastic! Good for You!
  • 12 years ago
    I honestly thought the vanity and countertop were new it made such a difference! It looks very nice. I can appreciate what painting a bathroom involves, especially taping off stripes, and painting behind a toilet as we're doing a mini-renovation on both our bathrooms involving painting, new faucet [bought on Amazon as well], painting the other fixtures with Cyrlon spray paint--they've come out great! I'm on a break so back to getting it ready to paint tomorrow. -:)
    Marilyn Jaynes thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    hayleydaniels , you'll have to show us pictures. And yes, painting behind the toilet was not easy!!
  • 12 years ago
    Did you strip the stain with the stripper first and then restained with dark color? Please advise. Thanks
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Wow! You did a really great job - the cabinet transformation looks fantastic. Naturally, the green stripped wall is modern and calming - and pulls the space together. Good for you!
    -Robert
    Marilyn Jaynes thanked Robert Huff - Hotel inspired living.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The smallest changes can make a great difference, nice work!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What a big difference for just a few simple changes! Great job!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nice job!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great update!
  • 12 years ago
    omg I'm loving the stripes colors! great reno - congrats on the first house too!!!
  • 12 years ago
    well done
  • 12 years ago
    Amazing job!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nice upgrade. I like the green coloring on the back wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Nice mirror & two shades of green is adding depth to the room. Great budget fix!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great job - the green color looks great with the accent mirror
    Marilyn Jaynes thanked Cast Glass Images Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    Great job!!! Looks wonderful!!
  • 12 years ago
    Fabulous transformation!!! :)
  • 12 years ago
    Vast improvement on a small budget without calling in the contractors! Great job!
  • 12 years ago
    Nice job!!
  • 12 years ago
    love it!
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great, but I am having a hard time understanding the two mirrors. They are distracting because of the locations and different designs. I would prefer one over the sink and the more decorative of the two.
  • 12 years ago
    Nice job!
  • 12 years ago
    So creative!!!! well done!
  • 12 years ago
    I despise anything green.. Just me.
  • 12 years ago
    I found framing my bathroom mirror w MDF worked wonders and cost about $30. What color would you paint these cabinets?
  • 12 years ago
    @ Sue Strauch - was that comment necessary?
  • 12 years ago
    Wow bathroom looks fresh and modern - well done!
  • 12 years ago
    Cute! Not sure about the two mirrors without one centered over sink. Out of curiosity, is anyone doing makeup in that bathroom? The accent mirror is fantastic!
  • 12 years ago
    Very cute. Nice and fresh looking.
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice! well done!
  • 12 years ago
    Great job! Only have 2 baths to update in this house and all the projects will be completed. Whoever gets this home when we are done with it is very lucky! Love seeing bath ideas! And no plans on moving anytime soon!
  • 12 years ago
    Love this! The new faucet looks much better too.
  • 12 years ago
    When I read lime green, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but actually, it's really cute. Good job.
  • 12 years ago
    k-carper, I'd paint the cabinets white to match the mirror (or paint the cabinet black as well as the mirror trim), and find a "popping" color for the walls, I'm quite basic, LOL. You didn't say if this is a kids bathroom, if not I'd change the shower curtain and accessories, which would make a hugs difference. If you have a little extra $$, change out the counter top to include the sink or go with under the counter mount type sink. Often these things can be found at quite a savings at Habit stores.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    With the limited space available, I understand putting the mirror off center. It provides more room for your elbow when putting on make-up or fixing your hair in the morning. LOL! You did a great job.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    k_carper, I'd go with a brighter color on the walls. If it's a children's bathroom, I think the cabinet would look great in a bright red, with white or yellow walls. It would sure wake you up in the morning!
  • 12 years ago
    I really like the color you chose for the cabinets, and have been thinking about doing that in my own bathroom, as they have the same light wood color as in your "before" picture and I hate them! I love the new accent mirror, too, it adds a nice touch with the carved frame, however my OCD is going into overdrive, screaming that it really should be centered over the sink :) I'm not sure if you can remove that corner one or not, and I'm sure it was probably installed as a space saver in a tight room ro utilize the negative space, but to me it just seems to unnecessarily crowd the room more than it has to. Sometimes less is more. Otherwise really great job on the budget you had to work with!
  • 12 years ago
    We did something similar to our powder room that is so small, we just have a white pedestal sink. We painted the horizontal stripes white and taupe. Since the ceiling is low, we made sure to keep the top stripe white, same as the ceiling color. Our mirror is framed black. The colors are crisp and clean and enlarge the tiny room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Terrific job - especially like the wall colour/treatment!
  • 12 years ago
    Just finished our powder room also... (before our daughter's wedding which was this last weekend...) wish I had taken "before " pics, now it's too late:) We chose a dark cabinet also, which is striking!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It looks great!
  • 12 years ago
    Great job for crazy little cash!!! :0)
  • 12 years ago
    Great Job . a whole new look... Amazing...
  • 12 years ago
    For a tight budget, this is great work! I'm impressed! :D
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Looks really nice, the only thing I would do is center the mirror over the vanity because it looks strange floating between the vanity and the toilet. The corner mirror (cabinet?) throws it all off.
  • 12 years ago
    Better
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for sharing your work! This will help others who may want to update their bathroom without the expense of tearing everything out.
  • 12 years ago
    Love it!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH