Software
Houzz Logo Print
interiordesigngr

POLL: Where do you prefer to do your laundry?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
To improve the ritual, flow, and cycle of undressing, bathing, laundering, putting laundry away, and redressing we recently designed a master suite that includes a laundry area between the master bathroom and walk-in closet. We want to know, where would you prefer to do your laundry?
Implement into Master Bath and Walk-in Closet Area.
Near the main family bathroom where most laundry is collected.
Near the mudroom to limit tracking soiled linens into the house.
Anywhere near the garage or basement so I don't have to see or hear it.
An area with access to a drying line outside.
Both. One near bathroom/bedroom and one near the garage/mudroom/basement.

Comments (24)

  • 12 years ago
    I voted "an area with access to a drying line outside". My laundry area is actually outdoors, behind a door on the back patio. I have a dryer but rarely use it because there's nearly always plenty of sunshine for line drying. The house is small and on one floor, so it's easy to gather items that need to be laundered.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked makaloco
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like a laundry room near where I am most of the time in the house and awake.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Our laundry is right off the kitchen.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I chose my present house because of the 2nd floor laundry closet off the hallway right outside the master bedroom door. Most of the laundry is clothing, bath towels, and linens, so it makes more since to have it there close to the bedrooms. My queen bed is an ideal place to fold laundry and it is a short walk to the closet to put it away. I am relieved I am not one of those that has to haul laundry baskets up and down stairs.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked JH Designs
  • 12 years ago
    I like mine in the basement. Should there ever be an issue with flooding from the washer...it's onto a concrete floor with a grade to the drain.

    I couldn't imagine that kind of mess in my main living area.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked bungalowmo
  • 12 years ago
    I keep dreaming of ways to add onto my house so I can get a pretty laundry room on the same floor as me, and a second bathroom.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked pickyvicky
  • 12 years ago
    Near the kitchen and garden, where I spend my time, ideally with a laundry chute near the bathroom and/or bedroom.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Anywhere except the basement. Unfortunately that's where I do laundry, but if I move, never will there be another basement, but a fabulous laundry room.
    Jennifer Butler Design thanked grobby
  • 12 years ago
    My laundry is on the second floor. I didn't really think about it when I first bought this house because the house met my "must haves." I appreciated the laundry being upstairs after I moved in and started doing laundry! I haven't used a basket since I moved in, nearly four years ago. I dump the clothes on either my bed or the guest bed, fold, and put them away immediately!! No more baskets of clothes sitting after dragging the baskets up two flights of stairs!
  • 12 years ago
    We have a laundry room downstairs and hang washing in sun to dry, however, to save me running up and down all the time, seriously considering to make it on the upper floor in the near future.
  • 12 years ago
    Having the washer and dryer in the kitchen, family rm., really makes most sense, because then you don't have to run upstairs when the washer stops, then put the laundry in the dryer, come down, do some more stuff, then go back up, and.....on and on, especially if you have little ones, it is not handy.
    We used to have a laundry shoot in one of the houses we lived in, which was good, but it also was a great temptation for kids to slide down it ;0(, lol.
    Would be nice to have a compact washer and dryer for the master bedroom though.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't want him tracking dirt and sawdust into the house, laundry stop and strip first, please!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here in California with two story homes so popular they have been putting laundry rooms on the second floor near the bedrooms...it seems to be going pretty well most people like it very much...no traveling throughout the house to put laundry away...for me, it;s in the garage!
  • 11 years ago

    I like my laundry room where it is, on the first floor. If I had one on the second floor near the bedrooms, I might not get it done as much. I want it to be where I am most of the time I am home and that is not in bed.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    One set near Master Bedroom, and one in laundry/mudroom.

  • 11 years ago

    Chook, I hope he either has a change of cloths, or a bathrobe nearby, or, he might catch a cold, lol.

  • 11 years ago

    Near the Kitchen in an enclosed Pantry.

  • 11 years ago
    Ours is in our basement but we fold laundry in our dinning room
  • 11 years ago

    Ours is in the basement - a short walk through the sunroom from the bedroom. Most of the clothes and bed linens are on this floor so it's convenient.

  • 11 years ago

    I think it's best to have it where most of the laundry comes from which will differ depending on your house and family. Our house is a two story with the bedrooms upstairs. The only laundry that comes from downstairs is a few towels. So it is most convenient to have near the upstairs bedrooms. When we bought the house the laundry was in the kitchen - which is the absolute worst place to do laundry! So when we remodeled, we put it upstairs - we are very happy with that choice.

  • 8 years ago

    I voted for near the Master Bedroom. As empty nesters that is where 99 % of the laundry is generated. If space and cost where not an issue, I wouldn't min having one in a separate mud room off the garage for the animals bedding.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    This old topic popped up when I answered the more recent one about sorting laundry. I didn't get to choose any of my laundry room's location! In the four houses we have had since we got married, the first two were single-story "patio homes" that had machines in the garage. I didn't really like that because I would start a load and remember it hours later crumpled in the washer or worse wrinkled in the dryer. I even tried a baby-monitor for a while! I did not have an outside clothesline in those two HOA houses but made use of a drying rack set up in a bathtub!

    The next two houses, the machines were and are in the utility room off the garage, which is effectively the mudroom (which was my survey response). We are CFBC and actual mud coming in is rare! I can keep track of my loads much better. Both rooms have a hanging rod for things that can hang-dry on hangers and both houses have clotheslines, but at some distance from the laundryroom/garage, so the answer about access to a clothesline was a close second!

    ETA: the greatest thing about a laundryroom off the garage is the utility sink! Can wash hands before traipsing through the house; especially handy during the pandemic. In the two houses with laundry in the garage, the garage opened to the kitchen, so the kitchen sink was used for all.

  • 4 years ago

    I dont like my laundry rooms upstairs, because unless I'm sleeping, I'm on the main floor of my house. Also, 2nd floor water accidents- though rare, no fun and cause lots of damage. I prefer main floor or basement floor laundry.