Software
Houzz Logo Print
gregz27

Something is still missing. Ideas?

12 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Just finished the bathroom but it still looks incomplete.

Comments (38)

  • 12 years ago
    Curtains or shades or shutters?
  • 12 years ago
    Love the stone, very organic. Agree artwork on the brick wall, something colorful!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Artwork. Also, open shelves at vanity seem cluttered rather than of any significant focus. Remember, less is more.
  • 12 years ago
    Artwork,shades,curtains,towel rod,cabinets?
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great! What about changing towel color to pull in glass top sink color?
  • 12 years ago
    I think until you put shutters on the window it will look bare.
  • 12 years ago
    Until you put shutters on the window, don't take a bath unless there's no one around for 5 miles.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the main issue is that everything is "hard" and mostly in straight lines. There is a lot of reflective material and not enough diffusing material, so it feels super shiny and not very soft or textural. Shiny vanity, shiny mirror, shiny shower, shiny tub. . .the rock is gorgeous though :) So, perhaps get an indoor-outdoor runner with some color or texture, a roman shade or bamboo blinds for the window. Hanging plants or a little wood bench with an orchid (or fake orchid). just my two cents :D
  • 12 years ago
    I think you've done a good job but art would help. Also, the shelves around the mirrors can look messy and busy with even a few little things out. Remove all but the most sleek and streamlined items. Maybe add some canisters on the shelves and take away odds and ends.
  • 12 years ago
    It seems from this bathroom your tastes run modern. Forgive me if these are way off base. Here are some thoughts:
  • 12 years ago
    actually, I like the art idea. your bathroom looks like it has gorgeous height to it. why not a vertical tapestry or something on that stone wall?
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi---this is a nice space. I do think the shelves look cluttered, towels either all off white or dark, roman shade to soften all the straight angles---what about lighting? I don't see fixtures---?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A piece of art above the toilet and one on the stone wall will work wonders to pulling it together.

    Definitely some sort of window treatment. I agree with the roman shade idea. A bamboo blind could also work if you're not into fabric treatments.

    It seems that you only have 1 source of light in this room (pot lights). Most designers will always aim for 3 sources. Try adding a drop pendant or chandelier above the bathtub and some sort of lighting around the mirror. You could also incorporate lighting into the floor to uplight the bathtub!
  • 12 years ago
    A toilet paper holder?
  • 12 years ago
    Artwork metal on the stone and a tink table against that wall to have tray for the bath and a succulent pot on it
  • 12 years ago
    Bath accessories like soap dishes or bubble bath etc . Perhaps a three tier rack near the bath tub or shelving near the bath?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You need more turquoise to give a reason for the counter top to be there. Towels would work. A bathmat in the colour will also work. The next thing you need is a "snick" of orange to set off the turquoise. You can use copper in place of "orange" and you will get the same effect. A hand hammered copper "something" would do very well. leelee mentions canisters in silver but I would tend towards copper so the turquoise has something to work off of. Artists use orange (very small amount) to set off blues. It is a common technique.
  • 12 years ago
    Chandelier
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Ethanol fireplaces are trending in the bathrooms. They are smoke and odor free so they require no vent and require no gas line or electricity so you can install one anywhere. See more at http://www.ethanolfireplacepros.com/wall.html

    Eco-Feu Malibu Biofuel Fireplace · More Info


    Optimum Recessed or Wall Mount Bio Ethanol Fireplace · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great bathroom! I would get rid of the shelves, as they detract from the clean lines of the mirrors. I also would keep everything in the bathroom in the neutral colors you have except for a couple of pieces of art that could have a small amount of color in them , as in neutral with a streak of turquoise. Too much color would ruin the look. I can't tell where the lighting comes from for the vanities, but if it comes from the ceiling, that will make you look tired. Lighting should come from both sides. How about getting black semi-opaque pull up Mecho shades for the tub area?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The commenter who mentioned all the hard, shiny surfaces is correct, but choose your fabrics carefully.

    A tiny stool next to the tub to hold stuff; remove all on the shelves (even the plants are not the right shape somehow) and start anew with carefully chosen and useful objects like pump dispenser or stack hand towels on one of the shelves; art work in toilet corner?; an orchid one top shelf in cream/white; a roman shade in a fabulous rich fabric; a runner rug in a fabulous textured neutral; all cream or white towels. I'd leave the large wall by the tub alone as the stone itself is the star. The roman shade could be art in itself if you choose a fabulous fabric. It could be a pattern, but the bath itself is so calming, maybe not.
    [houzz=
    Safavieh Martha Stewart Chalk Stripe Ivory Rug | Contemporary Rugs · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    White Rose with Larkspur Mounted Print by Georgia O'Keeffe at Art.com · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Art.com - Find the Perfect Frame · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    needs a tv on the stone wall :)
  • 12 years ago
    I think it looks great. I have a similar stone wall in my kitchen. :) it has a tv on it. lol :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree, the shelves are cluttered and the items on them are too bulky.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I believe that there should be some type of wall art to complete the room.
    -Fratantoni Lifestyles
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would remove the items on the shelves and just add small candles. Suggest white towels, roman blinds in a cream linen or unbleached cotton and a hemp or sisal rug. On the floor next to the tub add a log table or a rustic ladder placed on the stone wall for your towel. [houzz=
    Balinese Influenced Bath · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Flatiron Apartment · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Yorba Linda Master Bathroom · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Gregz27...have you done anything yet? Any new photos we should know about?
  • 12 years ago
    It's hard to tell from the photo whether there's room, but it might be nice to put a tall palm between the door and tub, something with lacy fronds that would soften the space. Definitely need to add the option of pulling a blind or shutter so people won't feel exposed. I visit a relative every year who has a bathroom with a window facing grass, an open field and woods. It should be "safe" from exposure, but dang if I'm not sitting on the throne every time someone decides to mow the lawn, lol.
  • 12 years ago
    @Kathrynecheng, LOL :)
  • 12 years ago
    Love the bathroom and the stone wall. I think it looks fine without any art. It is an accent wall so I think, let it shine on it's own, plus it ties in all of the colors in the floor and the other walls. I feel if you were to tie in the gorgeous sink top with some elements in the same color, then you'll find the room is more complete. Maybe try adding a fuzzy towel in the same color, add a pendant light or with a soft design/pattern, and then add a roman shade made with fabric that is similar to your pendant light. It will soften up the room. Love the soaking tub, but it's curvy shape isn't enough to soften up the room with the beautiful stone and the other hard edges. Good luck and have fun!
  • 11 years ago
    only plants on the shelves, maybe white phalaneopsis orchids arranged in a symetrical way, turquoise towels and bathmats, half hight louvred privacy shutters painted mat in a light stone color ..... that's what I would do .... it's a lovely bathroom !
  • 11 years ago
    for more light reflection also add a silver framed mirror on the stone wall behind the tub !
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Looks as though you might need a window shade for privacy. If so I would consider a flat fold roman shade or woven woods. A fabric would soften things up a bit.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Just art,. accessories and a window treatments to finish up....bring in some color...and don't forget the towels and towel bars and hooks, and such.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would consider photography such as this above the towel bar. http://www.appletonartdesign.com/gabriela-guganovic.
  • 11 years ago

    With all the neutral colors and hard surfaces, I'd want a few soft towels, a lighter colored rug or mat and something to tie in with the blue/turquoise in the cabinet top. Maybe some silver or copper, and yes, a curtain or fabric shade for the window.