Software
Houzz Logo Print
caffeine101

Placing floor receptacles

12 years ago
Help! Building a new home and have to decide where I want the floor receptacles in the great room. The only piece of furniture I'm certain about is a couch along with built in cabinets along one wall to house the tv. I don't know if I'm putting lamps behind the couch or to the sides or what size area rug using. Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

  • 12 years ago
    Surely there must be some standard for how many and where they go that your contractor has access to. Or an electrician would know, wouldn't he?

    My only advice is to have a few more put in than you think you'll need so you don't have to rely on power strips to have enough outlets.
    Kathy Vaile thanked hayleydaniels
  • 12 years ago
    You'll also want to look at your wall receptacles, i.e., if you have corners where you want to place a table and lamp, you probably won't need a floor receptacle there. Think about your room size, shape, where the windows and doors are and then where the furniture, electronics, lamps, etc. will go.
    Kathy Vaile thanked grobby
  • 12 years ago
    I think I'm going to put an outlet under the couch so I can use table lamps on the sides of the couch or on a table in back of the couch. I will rely on wall sconces and top hats for additional lighting instead of table lamps. I just don't know what other furniture I will be purchasing/using.
  • 12 years ago
    Can you post the floor plan and we'll help you get a handle on furniture and outlet placement?
    Kathy Vaile thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    Here's the floor plan!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    This is a tough room! I'm thinking I'd hang TV on the left wall adjoining the kitchen and the gear can be stashed in the kitchen cabinets. Put it on an articulated arm for flexible view. You really don't have enough depth to do a built in or place a gear credenza on either side unless you extend the side walls of the opening to the galleria some. Otherwise, what you put there will appear to protrude into the opening, and may look awkward. Use an apt/loft size the sofa and 2 chairs with a coffee table around a rug. This arrangement can be placed three different ways. angled parallel to that door to the hallway by the terrace, leaving enough walk space behind it to navigate your way into the room and around the sofa, on the large right side wall, or floating out in front of the kitchen bar facing the opening to the galleria. Use a coffee table 18" from the sofa and two swivel chairs will make for easy turning from conversation to watching TV. The most welcoming arrangement will be one that allows guests to see the seating in front of them as they enter from the foyer. Decide which arrangement will work for you and then we can determine outlets and tables/lamps.
    Kathy Vaile thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    The couch that I have and was recently recovered is a little over 7 ft long. I'm working on getting the matching loveseat covered in same fabric but not sure if fabric is still available.
    I want to put the tv on the long wall and extend the entrance walls to the foyer. The couch would be facing that wall. If the loveseat works out (not getting my hopes up) then I would either face the back to the foyer or outside terrace door in an L shape and on the opposite side I would place to swivel chairs. I would love to get a big square coffee table for the center. I will draw that up next and attach photo!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would go with cable lighting and then use drop heads for reading etc and get rid of the use of floor receptacles completly as they are always in the wrong place when you want to rearrange furniture or even get different sized furniture.
    Kathy Vaile thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Avoid love seats - a pain to arrange and not convenient for two people to sit on and face each other for conversation. You really don't have room for two sofas anyway. Stick with apt/loft sized sofa and smaller scale chairs. Avoid placing the sofa with its back to the foyer as it is off putting.
    Kathy Vaile thanked decoenthusiaste