Software
Houzz Logo Print
niccifitz

Need a little help finishing my living room

12 years ago
I have been slowly updating our living room and could use a little extra help! The sectional couch, blue/grey upholstered chair, pouf and coffee table are new. The plan for the pitchforks is to hang them on the empty wall behind the couch/next to the tobacco basket (I also need some hanging advice since it's plaster wall; can anyone suggest some nice brackets that might work?). The leather club chair can stay/go... and I feel like I need something in the empty corner (where the little toy baskets currently are)..... Also, any suggestions on paint color for the TV cabinet - love the cabinet, but I have outgrown the dark finish. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think an area rug would really do wonders for this room, you could also run a single curtain rod above the TV and both windows and have drapes that frame in the entertainment center. A storage bench in the corner could hide the kids toys and with some throw pillows add some extra seating near the fire. For the TV stand you could do a lighter brown that would reflect the pieces above the couch or try a lighter shade of grey to mirror the couch itself. Black could also be a good option. I like the chair, but I would relocate the side table next to the couch, it feels obstructive to have it in the passage way there. It could possible go in the empty corner next to a smaller bench.
    niccifitz thanked Bozeman Kitchen and Bath
  • 12 years ago
    I completely agree with the side table, but I need something for my computer in the evenings..... any suggestions on a style?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is it possible to add wheels on the existing table? It could reside next to your current coffee table in a tiered fashion, but be easily moved for convenience when needed.
    niccifitz thanked Bozeman Kitchen and Bath
  • 12 years ago
    Also, I'd lower the art that is over by the pitchforks. I'm really hoping you can live without a side table by the sofa - it would look so much better without one at all.
    niccifitz thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Bay window. Window seat
    niccifitz thanked Daisy Saia
  • 12 years ago
    I agree about area rug. It will really warm the space. Re: the side table, thought about a table that slides under the sofa? Also, in the corner by the window, how about an indoor plant/tree? It will give corner some height & add color.
  • 12 years ago
    What about a warm gray for the tv stand? Farrow and ball lamp room gray could look nice. Or pull out the red from your cool ceiling fan.
    niccifitz thanked jtheend
  • 12 years ago
    Pull the sofa away from the wall - you have it crammed in the corner and would look so much better away from the walls. Take away the end table. A carpet would do wonders.
    Put the log end table on the other side of the chair.

    The pictures are far too big for over the mantel. Put the huge lamp behind he sofa when pulled out from wall. will help the basket on the wall not look so huge.
    niccifitz thanked Angel 18432
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    finishing - wonder about accent on the brick of cream paint, or just on inner shape to accent that? [It would go with blue accent here and there also]:
    Breakfast Room & Kitchen · More Info


    Coppell, TX: Dana & Nat · More Info


    called beachy, but posting fyi-
    Fair Winds · More Info


    Project in Tiburon · More Info
    niccifitz thanked everdebz
  • 12 years ago
    Get an area rug and move the seating around it and away from the wall. Make the fireplace the focal point. Put the pics of your beautiful children on a wall and get a single piece for over the fireplace.
    niccifitz thanked Angie K
  • 12 years ago
    gotta lower the TV -- both for your long-term neck health and for the aesthetics of the room. once you do that (with the long low console suggested above) you may find that that side of the room takes care of itself... otherwise, agree with suggestion about area rug. nice cozy space!
    niccifitz thanked acm
  • 12 years ago
    Sheepskin area rug would blend right in.
    niccifitz thanked RM
  • 12 years ago
    I think you really need an area rug. I love your coffee table and the accent chair. Maybe you can add some lighter colored throws or decorative pillows to break the grey couch. ALso, maybe for later You can get another accent chair, in a lighter color, to go at the other end of the fireplace.
    niccifitz thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Just one suggestion: I felt the pictures were too big for the fireplace. That was the first thing I noticed, actually. And I also feel, that since all of your furniture is plain, you could try adding some prints in the decorative pillows. Just a suggestion.
    niccifitz thanked User