Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mafer_ibanez

What to do with my foyer????

Mafer Torres
9 years ago
I'm in desperate need of help!!!!!!! We bought our first house a year ago and still have my foyer looking like this.... Please help!!!! Attached are photos of my living room and dinning room which I also need to decorate!!! All ideas and suggestions for all areas are welcome and mostly needed!!! I appreciate your help!!!!

Comments (42)

• abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Will the console table currently behind the love seat work in the foyer under the mirror?
  • Mari Ram
    9 years ago
    The round table doesn't look right in that space, would you consider buying a different table? You could place some candles, book that are actually storage not books, some flowers, Picture frames. If you wanted to change the mirror you could put a nice piece of art.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Try one of the tall plants in the dining room instead of the pot and sticks. I hope there is room for one there.
  • Jaima Lawrence
    9 years ago
    It's a beautiful entry way. You may just need a bit more warmth... I'd lose the mirror and replace with a colorful painting/photo that you love. A rug may be nice under your round table, too.

Here is one of my favorite Houzz photos... http://houzz.com/photos/682822.

It brings in some seating (not sure you'd ever sit there though!?) and some natural elements with the wood/twigs. Can't wait to see your "after" pictures!
  • Jaima Lawrence
    9 years ago
    Urban Living - Pacific Heights · More Info

The this link... I hope it works.
  • Mari Ram
    9 years ago
    For the dinning room I would suggest placing an area rug.
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for the suggestions!!!! I will change things up and keep you posted ;)
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Abbyjean thank you for all your suggestions!!! We just bought those chairs so I would really like to find a way to incorporate them in the living room... Do you think I can do that???
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Have you tried the two straight chairs with the foyer table? It seems a bit small and the chairs might expand that vignette. I think you could lower that mirror quite a bit too. Try hanging it with the bottom frame at the same distance from the floor as your windows in the next room. Or place the center point of it 5' above the floor, and see which looks best. I agree that the sofa overhanging the entryway is awkward and unattractive. Try flipping those two sofas to remedy that issue.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    What do you think about deco's idea to use those chairs with the table in the foyer? Otherwise, if you are willing to flip the furniture, we might be able to make them work, angled on the side of the tv nearest the dining area with maybe that wicker table between them.
  • Daniela Zambrano
    9 years ago
    I agree. I would put the two chairs with the foyer table. Also you can sand it and stain the table to match the chairs and give it the antique look.
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like deco's idea with the chairs in the foyer!!!
  • edelsan
    9 years ago
    Consider a installing a built in cabinet/wall unit in the entry way (on the wall with the mirror). Top could be open shelving for books, pics, or even the mirror itself, bottom could have cabinet doors for additional storage space.
  • PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9 years ago
    Lots of space for something amazing. See more at http://www.luxewaterwalls.com/

28" Water Walls in Various Homes · More Info

36" Wide Water Walls in Various Homes · More Info

36" Wide Water Walls in Various Homes · More Info
  • PRO
    Rug and Kilim
    9 years ago
    A soft, neutral rug for both your dining room and foyer will add depth and personality to the room. The chairs would work nicely with a carpet on the floor. Carpets tends to redefine space and make the room appear bigger and warmer. Definitely something I would consider! Good luck!
  • nononanna
    9 years ago
    The pouf in front of the longer sofa and the coffee table are fighting each other, and can you switch the sofa and love seat? The coffee table should go in front of the one that faces the tv and the pouf can go in front of the other.
  • nononanna
    9 years ago
    Ooops sorry - just realized that I said exactly the same thing as abbyjean, the first responder. Sorry abbyjean! But her ideas are right on!
  • PRO
    Firefinish Interiors
    9 years ago
    It's hard to tell without knowing the sizes, but :

1- can you switch the tv and console to where the love seat is, the 2 chairs could go on each side by tv, the couch would be then moved to face the tv with its back to the dining room (you could maybe have a sofa table behind it?), and the love seat would go where the tv is now?

2- can the tv go where the couch is , then the couch would go where the tv is and the 2 chairs can stay where they are?

Hope thats helps :)
  • marsia
    9 years ago
    You have really great neutrals and good bones - very classic. You just need to make the space personal. Use artwork, pillows, throws, cloth, photos, and favorite momentos to liven things up. When you get a few more in there, it will help you have a focus to each space, and you will know how to organize so your eye moves around the room in a pleasing way. Right now things are grouped by function, which is good. Now you just need a flash of colorful decoration and/or interesting sculptural forms (a few vases in groups, etc.) to add accents.

I have the same problem, but our house is a lot less finished than yours. There are a lot of nice neutral things creating a unified, neutral backdrop in our house, but I have not unpacked (and maybe don't even have) the things that will unify the rooms by boldly showing my individual style throughout.
  • PRO
    J. ANDERSON STUDIO
    9 years ago
    You could have so much fun with this foyer! I would ditch the mirror and get an oversized piece of art...canvas for sure. Then I would throw a light tan colored real horse or cow hide skin rug ( low pile) under the table... Would consider painting the table off white as well. Then finally I would replace the hanging light with a low hanging slightly oversized contemporary/modern chandelier...probably also in a white or off white color... Then put a vase on the table and add so long stem calla lilies. - Jonathon
  • Krista Collins Garland
    9 years ago
    While I normally like asymmetry and groupings of three, I feel like you entry table need one large accent on it. Not three off to the side.
  • PRO
    HB INTERIORS, LLC- Home In A Box
    9 years ago
    Foyer: Loose the mirror, and try an accent color on this wall only. the table is not proportioned well with the space. try a higher table to anchor the light on top.

Living room: Re arrange your furniture, it looks so crowded. Put the love seat where the two chairs are, and move the sofa under the windows. Now you can use the chairs where the sofa is, though in my opinion, they do not belong there, style wise.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I love ypur space and furniture. Modern and relaxing! If you do consider painting your table, I have a few ideas you might like at www.the painted table boutique.blogspot.com
  • nononanna
    9 years ago
    color and texture! I love fabrics so I'm always looking for somewhere to add them - is a skirted table too old school? And if you put the TV where the couch is now, it's not the first thing you see when looking into the living room. Not that TVs need to be hidden, but...
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The problem is that there is not a cable connection anywhere else but on that wall where the tv is right now :(
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I haven't got time to shop around yet... I'm just moving the things that I already have to see if I'm getting your ideas... Please let me know which one do you guys like better ;)
  • E. C.
    9 years ago
    The mirror is interesting and would really stand out of you painted it black. Love the light fixture!
  • PRO
    Vielle Frances Interiors
    9 years ago
    You have the perfect foyer. The wall where you put the mirror and console table is perfect. You can do so much with it. I would put a cool wallpaper print on it. Not sure if this is your taste we revamped an entry way in a New York apt. This customer wanted to have a rock n roll feel that was a bit dramatic.. Here is the BEFORE and AFTER
  • PRO
    Vielle Frances Interiors
    9 years ago
    #inspiration #wearstler
  • PRO
    Vielle Frances Interiors
    9 years ago
    #inspiration
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Although I suggested the chairs, in the foyer, I don't think they work as well as the sofa table. For me, the issue is the shabby chic mirror. You could replace it with a starburst mirror. I like your living room and dining room, but the incongruous parts are the mirror and the two chairs. Maybe they'd work on the upstairs landing if you still have a hankering for the old antique look. I just don't care for it with your stylish contemporary living and dining rooms.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    The console table is a nice fit, and yes, with a different mirror. I like the chairs, but not with that table between them. Is there a place for them with the taller round table?
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    the tall mirror with console table seen on the landing would look nice in the foyer space.
    As Vielle Frances Interieurs suggests
    My Houzz: A Basic Builder Home Gets the Glam Treatment · More Info
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    another suggestion for furniture placement
    Forest Manor Model Home · More Info

ref/insp. pic
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    I see there are 2 chairs in your living room area, you can consider moving the two chairs to the foyer area and get a small table in between the 2 chairs. Good Luck !
  • PRO
    Vielle Frances Interiors
    9 years ago
    Since its going to be the first thing you and your guests see. definitely get a wow-factor put a wow-factor there.
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I totally agree!! Whatever I do I need new furniture for the foyer... I was just using what I have just to see if I wanted to use the chairs or a console table ;)
  • Mafer Torres
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Vielle Frances interiors where can I get those beautiful wallpapers??????
  • PRO
    Vielle Frances Interiors
    9 years ago
    Those wallpapers are by Kelly Wearstler. You can buy them here: http://www.kellywearstler.com/wallcoverings/wallcoverings,default,sc.html
  • PRO
    Sherry Rose
    9 years ago
    Hello! Pertaining to the FOYER:
    1) Add a large area rug (under that table)
    2) Replace the mirror with a large floor mirror (at least 5' High, and 36" Wide). The bigger the better, to brighten and open the space.
    3) Hang beautiful fabric or drapes on either side of the new large mirror.

The flowing drapes, large mirror and area rug, with your existing table (placed in front of large mirror) will create an inviting cozy atmosphere!

Please post new pic after you've refined the area.
  • snicole1
    9 years ago
    Liked the console table in foyer, need larger rug, and paint the mirror black. You will be good to go.