Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisemelanson03

HELP! Keep the recliner?!

12 years ago
The colours in the recliner and the ottaman are a little off... I can return the recliner... Should I? Any way to make this work? Suggestions appreciated!!!

Comments (34)

  • 12 years ago
    ** ottoman **
  • 12 years ago
    I think I would get a coffee table and an area rug. Maybe you could use the ottoman in the bedroom or elsewhere?
  • 12 years ago
    Hahah Darzy, we were typing the same stuff at the same time lol ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Great minds... :)
  • 12 years ago
    You guys have better eyes or a better monitor than I do. The color doesn't look "off" to me. The table beside the couch on the other hand, that is what looks off to me. Go figure.
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- My two friends are right - keep the chair , it's a nice one . I think you could re cover the ottoman like the sofa and or use it else where . I think a round chrome and white marble top coffee table would look better there .
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI - I think what you see is in fact the granite counter top of the kitchen and not a side table beside the sofa ..
  • 12 years ago
    it's very stylish :)
  • 12 years ago
    I like lefty's chrome coffee table idea, or an x-style wood one, on top of an area rug.
    Wellington Rectangle Cocktail Table · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Ahhh....thanks lefty. I agree about keeping the recliner too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your room needs warming up. The paint color looks off. Something more taupe for the walls. An area rug, drapery panels and throw pillows would help. The recliner is fine.
  • 12 years ago
    If you keep the recliner, put a nice throw with a pop of color on it and add a pillow maybe with a pattern on it too. It looks bland and that will dress it up. I agree about replacing the ottoman with a coffee table.
  • 12 years ago
    They're all fine together.
  • 12 years ago
    I think they're all fine together, too.
  • 12 years ago
    I would almost like to see a copper top table in this room, I think it would match the recliner well:
    Eclectic Dining Tables · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Can you tell me where is this sofa from? Is it fabric or leather?
  • 12 years ago
    Are rug may light blue/green and some throw pillows for the sofa and chair that coordinate with rug
  • 12 years ago
    Hi---inviting room-love the wall color. Sorry, not a big fan of the ottoman and the recliner is ok, but I do not like the color paired with the paint color. The sofa is very nice! Good Luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Add rug at the floor matching to recliner. add pillows on the recliner for cozy look. see decorating ideas http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=348&Furniture=Living+Room+Sets
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with others who advise you to get an area rug and draperies that pull everything together. I think the recliner and the ottoman can likely work fine if this is done first.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments!! The couch is leather, from the company Palliser (Canada) in the colour Alabaster. Unfortunately, the ottoman was custom ordered and was expensive :( I can't return it... I like the look of it in person... but I can understand that it's lacking in the style department on the pictures... What can I say, I am new at this! :)
  • 12 years ago
    any other suggestions?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i believe you can make this work. the main pieces, the recliners and the sofa. are very soothing colors. If anything take back the Ottoman or find a fabric that ties the chair and sofa together and reupholstered the ottoman. Of course you need to. bring in m I re accessories and accents y o finish the room. Remember change can take time to adjust to so be patient.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the ottoman and recliner can get along just fine. Many of us just prefer a coffee table instead of an ottoman which may influence the opinion. You have a great start on a beautiful home. Are you keeping it monochromatic or will you be adding accents colors? Would you like some rug ideas?
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not sure I want to add an accent colour... at least not a vibrant one. I like the neutral theme I have going... but I definitely need to add on a rug, pillows and accessories. Very overwhelming for us, since this is our first home... Any idea what kind of rug (size/colour) would go best?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi again... The chair looks much better out from the wall. Yay! I think a rug with a pattern would look nice. Perhaps something abstract, organic, or asymmetrical, less structured than the ottoman, would unify the design. Window treatment, straight/tailored. Table(s) lamps. Pics for inspiration. Hope this is helpful... CheerS![houzz=
    Coastal Living Hand-Tufted Area Rug, Rectangle, White-White, 8'x11' · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Light Brindle Cowhide Rug · More Info
    ][houzz=
    LOFT | Luxury Industrial Loft Makeover DTLA · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Sanctuary One-Drawer Round Lamp Table Visage · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    If you want to keep it monochromatic, how about a tone on tone rug and introduce bit of "glam" for interesting textures? (mixing metals is a way to keep a monochromatic space interesting too). A light taupe/ivory area rug - probably an 8 x 10 or at least a 6 x 9. You need lighting as well. A fabric chair with accent table/light would round out the area as well.
    BTW...art, rug, shine, texture and you MAY not even need toss pillows to keep it sleek and simple.
    Candice Olson CAN1991-811 Modern Classics Transitional Hand Tufted Wool Rug · More Info

    Dalyn Tones TN7PE Pewter 5'x7'6" Area Rug · More Info

    Modern Antiqued Mirrored Side Table · More Info

    Robert Abbey Jonathan Adler Meurice Floor Lamp, Natural Brass · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- I like the ottoman and think it is fine in this room just not used as a coffee table . Better used maybe at the end of the sofa perhaps . Stay with your suttle colors and not everything has to match exactly . Keep the ottoman the way it is , it is not going to clash so it's fine . Not sure if anyone has already commented about getting drapes . Full height and width white textured drapes will make the room more complete combined with the blinds . I don't think this room needs pops of other colors . Stay with the creams and whites and the light beige tones but with different textures .
  • 12 years ago
    Hi, like the fabric on the ottoman such a cute print....I can totally get the dilemma u r in :) how about just adding a ottoman brown shade throw on the recliner...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i would keep a recliner and add glass coffee table instead
    also u need a rug and curtains in beige/goldish
    floor lamp
  • 12 years ago
    White shag rug, coffee curtains, kuba cloth pillows, black tripod lamp, hammered metal end table...almost monochromatic.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the ottoman and the recliner. I think your furniture is great so far. Work on a rug, side tables, lighting, drapes and accessories. Some excellent ideas above.
  • 12 years ago
    I love the ottoman just as it is. I have one just about that size and use it as a coffee table. I have a lovely tray to corral remotes and set drinks in so that I don't have to worry about spillage. I have used it for over ten years and I still enjoy it. If I were forced to replace it, I would buy another ottoman. Mine has a storage compartment as well so I have found it to be extremely useful in a variety of ways.

    Since you say you are "new" to this, a couple of pointers. Have what you love and love what you have. YOU are the one that needs to smile and be happy with your surroundings. Many people have many different ideas and that's what makes design such a personal endeavor. Deciding what you want in your home can be torture or therapy because you are making decisions not just on dimensions and numbers but on ideas, concepts and, most importantly, emotions. Trust the emotional responses that things you see invoke within you. Don't force a decision just because you feel rushed.

    As mentioned earlier, it takes time. Learn what makes you feel comfortable and happy. You have a great start and I see terrific instincts. Trust that and don't be convinced that something is right for you just because it's right for someone else or because the trend of the day says that what you should have. When all the pieces are put together, they should tell the story of your journeys. Most importantly, you should feel at home. "Happiness is a warm home."