Software
Houzz Logo Print
erica_schaub

Be honest with me on this Living/Dining Color combination

12 years ago
I absolutely love this light blue with a teal accent wall (and accent high divider) combo for my Living/Dining, but I'm not sure it would sell. I pained it a couple months ago before we were planning to sell. The colors are on trend right now (aqua is everywhere) but is it too much for the main color of the living area? The rest of the house is done in neutral sell-friendly tones. (ignore that it's not staged/decorated fully right now - it will be). Just looking for color opinion - be honest please! :)

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Ditto Brandi!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not loving the aqua paint and especially the accent wall. Go with a clean fresh neutral.
  • 12 years ago
    paint for selling - off white, light beige, light gray.
  • 12 years ago
    I was thinking the same thing. Even though I love my wall, blue is hard to sell. Then my Realtor came in last night and said not to paint it since I just painted it 3 months ago and it looks fresh, and that accent walls are popular. (This is in a 1900 sf house in mpls suburb aiming for 180-200 k sell). So now I'm confused. I'm not selling until march so I have time, but I'd like to sell quickly when we do.
  • 12 years ago
    Let the new owner paint it the color she wants. If you've ever watched any of the house hunting shows on HGTV, you know that people buy homes they absolutely HATE so they can completely renovate them.

    I would make sure the home is as clean as I could get it, make any repairs needed and the like so your home comes across as having been well cared for over the years. That's a lot more important to potential buyers than finding a home with their favorite color on the walls.
  • 11 years ago

    Since you are already questioning the color, it would be best to paint neutral. I think it will show better in a light color that goes with the rest of the house. If it does not sell right away you will be painting it anyway thinking that might be it. I would do it now at your leisure, instead of later when you are in a hurry.

  • 11 years ago

    I also love those watery aqua blues but if you are trying to sell, I'd go for the neutral paint as well because it is one less thing for the buyer to have to do. You can probably get away with keeping the one teal accent wall though. As much as I love color (from someone who painted the insides of her closet an aqua blue), I would be turned off by all that blue in a living/dining area. I'd probably like to have some color in the drapes, throw pillows or an area rug though.

  • 11 years ago
    I not sure an aqua and blue combo blends very well together. And for selling, the living room looks really dark. I would leave the aqua accent wall, but repaint the blue la creamy yellow beige, and bring some aqua accents into the living room.
  • 11 years ago
    Neutral for selling purposes. Please, no more depressing, trendy grey.
  • 11 years ago
    I love the color but I think it would have much more of an effect if it was used in your decor and not on the walls. Maybe try rugs, paintings or vases. It's too strong of a color on the living room wall and might turn some buyers off
  • 11 years ago

    Ladies, this post is a year old.

  • 11 years ago

    Angel, with the key word generator, a year old post is up-to-date! I've seen threads from 2012 resurrected.

  • 11 years ago

    Hayley - yes - it happens all the time. It's just a little frustrating when people don't read the posts - like this one - the house is possibly sold by now.

    Erica, perhaps you could jump in and let us know how things went.

  • 7 years ago

    The blue is lovely, but I believe you have too much brown in the wood tones of the furniture and the floor. I would suggest you paint all the trim, the china cabinets, and the chairs white and get matching area rugs that have shades of blue and white in them to give everyone a break from all the brown. My parents once had their living room and bedroom a blue similar to this, but they had a clear finish on natural color hardwood flooring and dark grey and silver metallic upholstery in the sofa and chair. In the bedroom they had a lighter grey stain on their headboard and dresser. They had white curtains with a scattered black print in both rooms, and the effect was lovely! I do believe you need the white to bring in contrast and to soften the look. A white lace table cloth and matching lace curtains would bring a contrast in color and texture to the room as well. A few well-placed large mirrors and some lamps will brighten the scene too.

  • 7 years ago

    From 2014

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, for god's sake sheilaskb! Read the thread. Pay attention! Four years ago Angel18432 pointed out (only 3 posts above yours) that the thread had been dead for a year, and now, you resurrect it for no reason and don't even bother to read what's been posted.

    It's 2019. Learn how to use the internet and forums.