Software
Houzz Logo Print
tombent

I need help with my side entry!

14 years ago
I've been able to figure out most of our 800 sq. ft. Cape Cod cottage style house- we've configured an open backwards L shape for a den/dining/kitchen, eliminated a bread-box front room, put in an 8x8 hidden walk-in closet...but this... imagine a 20x40 Cape cod.

The main entry is centered on a 20' wall. the door opens to the left and you have a 4x4 landing. Ahead of you and 2' up is the main floor. To the right is 3 steps up, a 3x3 landing, turn left and your standing on the main floor at the inside corner of a backwards L shaped den/dining/kitchen. The problem is what to do with the entry we just came in and the sudden drop off 2' below the main floor. Any ideas?

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    These areas seem somewhat small. Perhaps focus on exciting wall decor and mount some lights ont he wall. I would scour some antique stores in your area for something interesting since you are going for cottage design.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    The lights and wall decor are right on track. Our style leans more towards a modern/contemporary feel...yeh, I know, in a Cape Cod cottage style house. The real issue isn't the interior walls... it's what to surround the entry "pit" with. It's 2' below the main floor level. Whatever we come up with would have to be on the main floor, perhaps an L-shaped glass block wall about 3 ft. tall, bench seat backs ?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Can you upload some photos?
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi, tombent. If I understand correctly, what you have is a REALLY big step (2ft) up into the main living area directly opposite the front door. Obviously, it's a safety issue. Since your tastes encompass a contemporary aesthetic, I would like to recommend a 4 ft wide floor to ceiling glass wall similar to these:

    Knight Frank LTD · More Info


    Sugar Bowl Residence - John Maniscalco Architecture · More Info


    It will be invisible, which would be good for the small space and also builds on the contemporary edge you have.

    Before it (on the main living space level) so as to prevent any "accidents", a low bench, tall plant, console, sculpture - whatever - would provide a shield of sorts.
  • 14 years ago
    Here are a couple more pics:
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    How about a slat wall? It could go to the ceiling or up to railing height at the mail level. See this photo:
    Rhode Island Street Residence · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Houssaon, I kind of think the slat wall would make this 4 x 4 entry seem almost cage like, especially since it's already somewhat of a "pit". And remember, we're working with only 800 sq/ft - a small space that will benefit from being opened, not closed.

    However, I see the merit in your suggestion if the slats began at the "pit" floor and extended to railing height at the upper level.

    Please understand that my above comments are said respectfully.

    ETA: photos would be helpful.
  • 14 years ago
    I was thinking slats because of the opening between the boards. I agree it shouldn't start at the floor and probably should only go to railing height at the main floor.
    Maybe a glass railing would work:
    Heatherhill Family Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    I may be missing the point entirely - but could the "railing" be set back enough from the edge of the drop to provide a 24" tall bench/table area in the entry way. It might expand the feel of the entry. Depends on what is on the other side and if the 12-15" space could be spared. Another idea is built-in shelving open on both the entry and living area side.
  • 14 years ago
    What a wonderful resource all of you have been. The glass ideas will help to keep the open feel I'm striving for and perhaps if I use vertical slats of glass, railing -high, with space in-between (to code) with a hand rail on top. Or, the open bookshelf idea topped with a horizontal glass slat. Excellant ideas from all.... and now to the modeling table to create a couple of scale mock-ups. Thank you Mona, Manon, Houssaon and PSAnderson.