Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmileos

How do I tie all together? Master Bedroom Makeover Trouble!

14 years ago
So after 10 years of living with drab furntiure, we splurged and started new. The only thing that remains is the wall colour. Here's my dilemma. I can't seem to figure out how to tie everything together and what accent colour to go with. What colour should I paint the walls? How do I tie in the black and gold fluer de lis carpet my husband loves with the bronze coloured upholstered headboard and curtains? What kind of bedding should I go for? I tried the ivory but it's horrid. I think I'm going to go with black bedding (duvet or coverlet) and complimentary coloured pillows. Any ideas on how to tie it all together with wall color and bedding would be greatly appreciated. (Not against changing out the carpet but trying to keep it since hubby loves it so much). The pictures to me look pretty true as far as colour. Walls are yellow, headboard and curtains are a bronze. Floors are wood stained cherry. (We are going to get rid of the mouldings behind the bed as the bed is just to big). The only other thing I would still like to purchase is a sitting chair in the corner of the room.

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The rug is throwing me off - it is actually a bit too small for the space. If it were twice the size then that would be much better actually. If you want to work with the rug, I recommend painting the walls a deep gold that is in the rug and it will also compliment the hardware in your dresser and side tables.
    I would keep your molding and paint it the wall color - it adds interest to the walls.
    The glass round table doesn't go with what you have. I would remove it.

    I would recommend getting a new rug - look at this photo if you like the blues family
    http://www.decorpad.com/previousPhoto.htm?index=8&searchQuery=Bungalow 5 Jacqui Chest a fun rug, brown headboard and dark furniture. Fun!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You need 2 side lamps - large enough to make a statement. I like the ones in the photo above. White works since your trim is painted white. I would also remove the two ottomans or reupholster them in that fun check.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks Kelli. I don't mind the gold idea but would it go with the bronze coloured headboard and drapes? I feel like the gold and bronze tones would clash.
  • 14 years ago
    Well it seems you have a taste for the opulent! I have to agree with Kelli on a lot of the above concerns. When I first viewed your room I was struck my the fact that you might have been striving for a plush hotel room. I think you're almost there but need some more layering to tie everything together. Some options would be a bold wallpaper in your wainscotting panels, another option might be mirrors. I'd be tempted to go darker rather than lighter as I feel this would add more depth and make your surroundings richer...
    Our Navy Living Room · More Info

    These are just a few more pics. for inspiration!
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-hhl-master-bedroom-contemporary-bedroom-phvw-vp~135988
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-hhl-master-bedroom-2-contemporary-bedroom-phvw-vp~135990

    Hope all of this gives you some food for thought, good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    That first link seems weird, let's try again!
    Our Navy Living Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    I think the rug overpowers the whole look--something lighter would be great. Use the rug in a dining room(for the hubby!) The i would paint the outside of the frames/molding a nice beige/ivory and the middle sections a light sand tone. The sconses look too high. Either lamps or chandeliars on each side--I think the bedtables are too dark and large for the space .Would be great if youu could find those mirrored kind.
  • 14 years ago
    love the window seat!
  • 14 years ago
    I agree Maureen. I think the rug is what's giving me the most trouble. Yes, the wall sconces are too high. We are either going to lower them or get rid of them altogether and use lamps. The furniture is new so that's staying. The molding is coming off. The bed is too big and covers it on both sides so it looks odd. (Now off to work on how to get rid of the rug lol).
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks Maureen. That's about the only part I'm loving so far.
  • 14 years ago
    Oh, and the cords on the tv can be covered with trim pieces(plastic) from Home Depot and could be painted the color of the wall. Just a suggestion...
  • 14 years ago
    That's a defenite. Hubby is going to hide them in the wall. Thank goodness he's good at that kind of stuff. ;)
  • 14 years ago
    They do know their electronic equipment--don't they!!
  • 14 years ago
    Does anybody think I could tie the rug in with an accent chair in the corner? Say, a wingback or something?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    HI Joanna, Although I think the rug is a tad small as pointed out above, I'd like to take a stab at making it work. Please consider Brookline Beige HC-47 by Benjamin Moore for your wall color. Good idea to take the molding down in the room, it's not needed. This color I'm suggesting is like a cappuccino color, I think it will look nice with the bed, nightstands and rug. Try some tall lamps with black shades, like this...
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-hhl-living-room-contemporary-living-room-phvw-vp~135992
    Now for the trim in the room, including the decorative panels over the doorways, paint it all black.

    Try Twilight Zone 2127-10 by Benjamin Moore for the black trim.

    May I suggest you remove the glass top table and and the things in the corner. They are not really doing anything for the room. You can then place a chair in that corner and try black and tan textiles for your bed.

    Consider black and white photography or abstract art for behind your bed, keep all the finishes gold.
    Alder Hill · More Info
    Hope this helps. Charmean Neithart
  • 14 years ago
    I see this room in a cool blue like Winter Lake 2129-50 from Benjamin Moore.
  • 14 years ago
    I saw blue too.
  • 14 years ago
    I've been playing around with BM's colour viewer and I'm leaning toward blue as well although I don't mind the taupe/beige tones either. I just feel like the blue makes me feel a little more alive.

    Thanks for your suggestions Charmean. Yes, a chair will be going in the corner and the stuff there now going. I've taken a picture of the glass table people are picking up on so that you can see what it looks like. That's a mirror on top. (Almost looks like a picture as the drapes on the opposite wall are closed and we've pulled the bed forward for hubby to take the molding down. Not too sure about your suggestion to paint all the trim including the panels over the door black. That sounds a little scary to me. (Sorry, the room was dim when I took the pic so the coloring is off.)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I know people are usually scared of black, but it's very elegant. I was trying to work with the rug your husband likes by bringing in some more black. If you get rid of the rug then blue would be a nice color to go with the brown headboard. Still think the glass table doesn't do anything for the room. Good luck. Charmean
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks Charmean. I'll defenitely consider it. I think telling the hubby to paint the door panels black may be my key to getting a carpet change lol.
  • 14 years ago
    Here's an inspiration room that echoes your bronze fabrics, dark furniture and white crown molding. The teal wall color is dramatic and elegant.
    Mary Trantow · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Michigammemom - beautiful room you found!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Cool space! I love Bella Notte Linens bedding because they have GORGEOUS colors, its machine washable and just would fit nicely into your look. I mix all their peices: so do bedding that has black , purple and yellow in it. If you need help email: joan@getbackjojo.com
  • 14 years ago
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Bella Notte. In fact, that's what I'm leaning toward. Love the velvet coverlets they have. What I'm debating is do I go with a coverlet in the black as a base or something along the lines of seaglass (as I'm contemplating a greyish blue color for the room). I will defenitely email you.
  • 14 years ago
    Greyish blue for your walls would look good with your bed and curtains. I'd replace the rug with something more subtle.
  • 14 years ago
    Yup. The more I play around with it, the more and more it confirms the carpet has to go.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    First thing I notice is too much furniture and not enough breathing room visually. The double chests under the TV screen allow no space on either side. You would almost be better off using one chest. The TV screen should be mounted lower on the wall, and could have been larger. This takes care of the wire management, as it would be lower on the wall. Your bronze can be broken down into a lighter shade from the same family for your paint. Find the exact match in paint for your bronze headboard or your draperies and ask the person at the paint store to cut the formulae by 1/3rd. It will work with what you have as you will have already determined the exact family required. It is my belief, architecturally speaking, the moldings you have are not doing justice to your doors (an important statement). They certainly do not enhance your furnishings as they are much too small to continue the statement from your doors.

    Again, the chests on either side of the bed are soaking up all the visual space. I know you want to keep what you have but what you have placed in the room is too large for the space. I would sell 2 of the chests. If it is possible to move your bed away from the window, I believe your demilune table is a nice change from the heavy chests. On the left side of the bed you could keep the chest as you have it.

    If you want to have lamps with black shades (with the bronze-gold lining), this could make for a very warm and romantic light in the evening. The base of your lamps could be a crystal or very nice glass, so as to reflect light on various surfaces.

    The rug should be larger, but if you were to move it forward, more toward the headboard so it leaves about the same space between headboard and rug and dressers (on TV side) and rug, you might find a better look.

    For your bedding, you can continue to move upward from your bronze into a soft tone from the bronze family that is not too gray, not too yellow and possibly more toward the ecru family of color.

    Your accent color is aubergine or a gray lilac....a very sophisticated shade that doesn't go red. This can be the cover for your chair. It also can be in a deeper shade for your throw on the bed. You can combine the bronze and gray lilac/aubergine with throw pillow, trim,etc. You also can bring in a major piece of art, reinforcing your palette.

    The white trim in your room is very important to offset these darker tones. I have found when I do ceilings, use 1/4 the paint formulae for the ceiling that I have in the walls. Also with your white trim, you need to be certain that it is coming from the same family, using the same pigments.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi Joanna,

    I noticed there was a recommendation for some photography/art in your space. Please feel free to click the link below to see some of the available work on our site.

    Everything is made to measure so it can be sized to fit your space and can be produced on canvas, plexi, as a giclée print or as a regular matt print. A lot of the work we support comes from award winning photographers from all over the world. We ship art ready to hang and offer two different shipping companies to choose from in order to ensure you get the lowest shipping price.

    Enjoy looking!

    http://bit.ly/thAceg1