Software
Houzz Logo Print
amari_hamilton

Accent/color dilemma

12 years ago
My main living room colors are a fun apple green and a navy blue, I am trying to decide what to do with my wall behind the couch and the empty space where the rug is. I want something very different and unique...I am also looking to add in another color to break up the green and blue that I have going on. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My first suggestion would be to pull the rug closer to the sofa and love seat. So no carpet shows. I would try the wall hanging you have in the photo that shows the TV. Hang it above the sofa side ways. The TV cabinet feel to low almost like it could work as a coffee table? Could you hang the TV where the Mirror is and perhaps use large bench pillows on that as an extra seating area? You said you have Navy Blue with the Apple Green, but I only see it on the sofa pillows. You could paint the wall behind your TV a deep navy blue...
  • 12 years ago
    Those are great suggestions..I am currently renting so once I move I plan to mount the Tv on the wall, as far as the green and blue I also have it in the rug and there's a large green vase and two blue accent pieces on the tv console, would you suggest adding another color with it or continue maximizing the green and blue?
  • 12 years ago
    Awesome ideas thank you!!
  • 12 years ago
    Patricia Gagnier made some great suggestions. Particularly the rug needs to go under the front legs of the sofa and loveseat.

    My concern is that the TV is so low it makes it difficult to put a coffee table on the rug as it will cause and obstruction in viewing. Since you can not wall mount the TV the console and the TV need to be higher. One trick that may work since this is an interim living arrangement is to get 2 cinder blocks and paint them. Use those as feet under the console to raise it up.

    My next suggestion may be a bit difficult to follow. Remove all the visible wall items. Take the lattice hanging and attach 2" x 2" standoffs (small blocks of wood) to the back 4 corners. Paint the standoffs the same color as the lattice. Place the lattice horizontally over the TV then mount the sconces to it. What this will do is create a wonderful light shadow.

    In the green glass floor jar add some interesting dried flowers and reeds in the colors of the rug.

    I'm not a fan of mirrors over couches but if you have no other place to put it it would be fine there.

    Now to the "something unusual" on the rug. Check your local buy/sell adds. Find the ugliest cheapest but sturdy coffee table for under 50$. Paint it. Create a stencil or mosaic on it. Done. You will end up with the colors you want and something truly unique.

    I don't think you need more colors you already have quite a few to work with in the rug. I do think you need to bring the lighter colors around the room. The wonderful blue jars on the console are lost on that dark console.
  • 12 years ago
    Those are also awesome Ideas I would have never considered, thank you! I will have to keep searching for a coffee table, havent found one that I love just yet but I will try and find local buy/sell items! Thank you again!
  • 12 years ago
    I also have three 16x20 frames that I want to paint and incorporate one one of the walls, if I did not move that lattice and put the three frames over the tv would that work?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your rug is fabulous!
    Love your bold sense of styling in this room.

    Because the rug is so bold, if you are considering adding another color, I would suggest keeping it neutral. Such as, one of the brown/caramel tones from the rug. This could help make the green and blue pop! While adding a three-dimensional color scheme.

    Happy decorating!
    Amari Hamilton thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs