Software
Houzz Logo Print
emptynesterof2

fireplace

11 years ago
I am trying to decide weather to reface my fireplace or leave it as is. Not sure if it's just that it's not decorated right or if it's because it's the 80's look and it needs to be revamped. Need some advice on what to do. Also, not sure what to do with Living room. It needs updated. Would appreciate any good advice.

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The room has some nice architectural elements that can be used to your advantage, For example, the built-in bookcases are a great feature, but perhaps could be painted white or off-white to help brighten the room. Have you also considered repainting the trim all together? Although the room is dated, stone is very popular again so instead of refacing the fireplace, I think brightening other elements of the room, like the trim, could help make the fireplace more of a focal point. The wood trim above the stone seems to break up the wall, which draws your eye down. If you were to lighten the trim, that would make the room appear taller. As far as the interior design, I would recommend bringing in a larger rug to help "ground" all the furniture - it appears to be floating now and the look of the larger rug could help solidify the design. The chairs could also be reupholstered with a patterned fabric to compliment the color of the sofa.
    emptynesterof2 thanked Decorating Den Interiors - Bromberek Design Team
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Good advice from Expressive Interiors.

    Your furniture arrangement is awkward and so is the position of the rug. Are you going to update/replace any of the pieces?
    emptynesterof2 thanked JudyG Designs
  • 11 years ago
    Expressive Interiors - Thank you for the good advice. I had not thought of removing the trim. Although if I remove the trim above the fireplace it seems like the fp will have an unfinished look at the top of it, because of it sticking out. Maybe that just me thinking that . I have crown moulding that is all over the house it goes down the hall way .That is something I will think about seeing if it will work. Would be a lot easier than changing the fireplace.
    Decorating Den Interiors - Thank you for your feed back and yes, I have wanted to change the color of my trim but my husband vetoed that because we have so much of it through out the whole house. He suggested us putting in accent lighting and see if that would help. Guess I may have to work on him for that if he will not let the crown moulding be taken down.
    JudyGDesigns - Yes, I am wanting to update all of my furniture . My husband likes leather so I wanted to update with a brown leather sofa and then get two matching chairs that are tone on tone neutral so I can change accessories and not be locked into a specific color like I am now with the jewel tones. I want to get a bigger rug and I want to get rid of the armoire and get a bigger TV. was thinking about moving the piano where the armoire is now and putting a TV in the middle of the wall. with a nice stand. I have felt like my furniture arrangement is awkward so after reading your email I straightened the rug and the sofa and that seemed to give it a better feel.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Great! I suggest this then. Put the t v in the built-in. All those shelves are kind of wasted space anyway and you have to decorate them and dust them. Then face the new sofa toward both the fire and the t v, flank with your new chairs and place a good sized area rug in front of fireplace. Then you can keep the piano on that wall and add a couple of smaller accent chairs near them.

    Media Room facing pool · More Info
    emptynesterof2 thanked JudyG Designs
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint the walls and ceiling cream color.
    emptynesterof2 thanked bgfuqua
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would definitely leave your lovely stone. You could paint the bookcase and door the same color as the walls, perhaps a soft cream. Try your rug and couch facing the fireplace and your two single chairs, table and floor lamp as per the first picture. This will improve flow into your room as well. Think about beige slipcovers for your two chairs and ottoman, which may just do the trick and add lots of pillows (coordinated to the color in your drapery). Your couch table will look nice behind the couch in its new location. When decorating your bookcase, try a more modern feel - see second picture. I would remove your greenery/items from the top of armoire and mantle and update firepalce. Instead of spreading out your photos around room, select one spot..ie: couch table or just the piano. [houzz=
    Highcroft Residence · More Info
    [houzz=
    Family Room · More Info
    ]
    emptynesterof2 thanked Maureen