Software
Houzz Logo Print
dkammerlander

3 D printer

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am a high school FACS (home ec) teacher. My principle is interested in possibly investing in a 3 D printer for my high school interior design class. This is something that would be purchased with grant funding that is to support industry standards. ( something that would be used out in the work place by interior designers/design firms) Is this something that would be a valuable piece of equipment to use in my classroom? Why or Why not. I am not sold on its educational benefits(and I lack the knowledge of what the benefits would be). What quality of 3d printer would need to be purchased to replicate what is being used in the real working world? Any suggestions on a particular printer versus another. Cost will most certainly be of a concern, is the supplies needed to create the 3 D image expensive. Please be honest, there are many other educational items I need and I do not want to invest in something that would have little educational value in the long run. If from my research and advice from professionals can show me the benefit of the investment and maybe some suggestions of how I could use it in my classroom then I am all for the purchase. Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated and price estimates if you have any would be great too. Thanks Deb

Comments (8)

  • 11 years ago
    Oops, wanted to put in discussion area. Also posted there. Not sure how to delete from polls section.
  • 11 years ago
    I guess maybe it will work in this section and the other, I will combine my feedback to share with my school principal.
  • 11 years ago
    I am not sure what I would be doing with it. That is what I am trying to figure out.
  • 11 years ago
    River Valley Cabinet, thank you for you comment. But, I am wondering what purpose I would have in a basic interior design class to actually do 3D modeling. I am wondering what my student should get out of having a piece of plastic? Can we make something useful, purposeful, and the big question educational. I get it that it is new technology, I am wondering if it has more purpose than just cool factor. My students are currently learning the elements and principles of design. We are going to learn basic room layout, arrangement. Room drafting symbols, how to use a plastic template. Then we are going to start our room design boards. Last year I had all students pick whatever house they wanted. This year I am going to give every student the exact same rooms, have a guest come in and have them interview them so that the boards will take on each their own personality, creative style. Getting back to my original question I am just not sure where a 3 d printer fits into an educational purpose. Thanks for any input.
    Deb
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Ma'am, you can make about anything on a 3d printer(within reason). So right now you are doing design in 2d. Architects sometimes make 3d models of their projects to get a feel for how everything fits and looks. If you get a 3d printer that uses multiple colors and types of filament, the students could take the 2d room and translate it into 3d in plastic.

    The most formal design training I have had is Drafting in my sophomore year in high school. I use a cabinet program to draw my kitchen designs. Here's the thing(and as a teacher, you probably already know this), people learn in different ways. Some cannot visualize in their heads; they have to see a physical representation to make the connection.

    I could see a 3d printer being more useful in a shop class, but those have gone the way of the typewriter.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Are you giving students a start to being interior designers, or just an introduction to interior design -- like teaching someone the basics of cooking rather than training to become a chef?
  • 11 years ago
    Think you would be better served by CAD. The 3D printer might be something more useful for an architectural design class, though really, at high school level, I think even the arch. class could put the money into computer programs.