Software
Houzz Logo Print
clb1961

My school office

11 years ago
I have been moved to a new office that is very small! I am a high school guidance counselor. Since the room is so small, has cinder block walls, no windows, and fluorescent lighting, and a very limited budget, I am having a hard time picking a paint color and decorating style. I have a free antique cherry desk I can use with some flea market finds. Can't decide if I should go with current cherry color (which matches coworkers furniture color) or paint it. Any advice s appreciated!

Comments (68)

  • 11 years ago
    I am a high school counselor too....I'd go with soft calm color for walls....and add a large picture of the beach, mountains,waterfall, nature...whatever...it will help you feel less closed in and can be a discussion starter for students ( I'm a skier but also love the beach so my windowless office has two large photos on either wall....). Your job is busy and fast paced so efficiency is key element in your design...you're going to need to access files and materials quickly especially in crisis situations. The cherry desk sounds fine...maybe paint it with chalk paint or a fun color if it's not in great shape finish wise. Add some ( not TONS) personal items that can facilitate student discussion and show your personality...sports team items good. but remember this is a professional office too:)

    I've been a counselor for a long time...it's a wonderfully rewarding profession. I wish you all the best and have a great year!
  • 11 years ago
    Oh and a welcome rug!!
  • 11 years ago
    Hi me again....desk should not face students so you are sitting across from them. Instead should be placed against wall with student chair next to desk so you are side to side with student. Gives a less authoritative " vibe"..... Parent chair(s) can be wherever you can fit them and moved in closer if need be. I hope there is a window in your door...if not don't close your door.
  • 11 years ago
    I am so grateful for all the excellent comments. None of my girl friends likes to decorate and my husband and son think the table and chairs I currently have are adequate. Karen, I went to Pier 1 an hour ago and saw the Toscana desk. It is beautiful! If I have the walls some shade wall and an accent wall, which color should my furniture be? Should the rug be one neutral color and go from wall to wall? The sixe of room is 8 X 9. The ceiling is almost 9 ft. high. Groveraxle,, I like the idea of an art window and that is a beautiful picture. We have a great art teacher and art dept and I know someone would be happy to do some art work. Beachlilly, so glad to meet another counselor! We never have a dull moment, huh? I love nature prints. In fact I have some very good photos my son has taken on hikes I could have put on canvas or in frames. I def want a rug to make things quieter and cozier. Thanks everyone for your valuable time and suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    Christalyn - I love your sense of humor! Do you think I would get written up for trying that?
  • 11 years ago
    Karen, I do have a free nightstand that is about 14x14 and 30 inches tall and a tall antique cottage bookshelf that has doors on the bottom and it is a little over 5 ft tall. It is currently painted deep rusty red. I have found some wood dining chairs w upholstered bottom that I could use for visitors chairs. The cherry desk is semi finished on back - just needs a little stain touch up. But if it isn't going to look good, I would rather find something else. As someone mentioned, I could paint the desk if I go for the cottage look.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi clb, That is a tight space! So, we are definitely looking for a desk that is no more than 24" deep. This would give you about 30" behind the desk, and 42" in front - just enough room for a couple of chairs and so e leg room. Kind of like travelling Economy lol.

    Here are a couple of color schemes - one using the Toscana desk in green, and the other using the dove gray one. With each one, I like the Ida of a soft blue-gray for accents - rug, etc.

    I would personally prefer a warm white on the walls, but for an accent color on one wall, maybe a muted gold/yellow, or a muted teal could work? I would definitely stay away from bright colors on the walls. They will be harsh and overpowering in your small, windowless space.

    Here are a couple more collages, showing slight variations based on the wall colors. In the first collage, the paint colors are Ben Moore Dunmore Cream and Spanish. In the second one, I used Raindance and Mayonnaise. I tried to give the space a cottage flavour, but within the boundaries of a place of business!

    The chair is the Kubu from Pier One, and the pillows are also from Pier One. The art is World Market, but making use of the school's art department is a great way to go.
  • 11 years ago
    Ah, could you post pics of the red bookshelf and the two chairs? They sound promising!
  • 11 years ago
    love the colors you have chosen. Hard to decide which one I like best! I love your style. Where is the rug from? I will have to post my pics tomorrow. I have found a couple of desks and storage cabinets on the Target website from the Threshold Wyndham collection that are reasonably priced and look sort of like the ones from IKEA and Pier 1. How do you make your collages you post? Which BM Paint is in the upper left corner the Spanish or the Dunmore Cream? love that.
  • 11 years ago
    Clb, The rug is from wayfair.com. Here's the pic showing the SKU and other info. I believe the price in bold print at the top is the ?Canadian price, as I am in Canada. The lower amount below would be the US price. That 5X7 is provably about the right size for your space.

    The yellow paint color is the Dunmore Cream.

    I am using an iPad, so I use the Pic Collage app. There are other collage apps put there, and I assume you can access collage sites on a desk top?

    I'll check out the Wyndham collection from Target - it probably costs less than the Pier One!
  • 11 years ago
    I just looked at the Windham cabinets - is it the one that is about 31" high and 31" wide? Very nice! I love the assortment of colors it comes in.

    It looks like the red one is out of stock online, and not available in stores. Then I checked the green one, and it's in stock but you can only order online. Not sure if this is an option for you?

    The teal one is available in stores, although I'm not sure if it is in all of them.
  • 11 years ago
    Karemore - when I saw your first comment and pics, I thought you had read my mind - exactly what I'd envisioned! Ikea was in my mind - even though we don't have Ikea stores in South Africa, I've seen pics of their products. Your other ideas are great too.

    clb - your inherited desk is lovely, but for this tiny office I prefer the ones that karemore proposed because of their legginess and airiness. If you feel that's stretching the budget too much, then you might like to paint your desk in a light colour. I think that keeping it in natural or stained wood might make the room too heavy.

    It's fine to keep the dining chairs in wood as they don't have the same bulk closing up the space - perhaps just re-upholster them to complement your colour scheme.

    Love the suggestions re artwork - a window and / or nature prints to lead the mind beyond the confines of the office.

    So interesting reading everyone's comments, lots of good ideas. Good luck and hope you will post pics of your final choices.
    clb1961 thanked Dina Taylor
  • 11 years ago
    Dina - thank you for more advice! I think I have about talked myself out of the free desk. I am so happy I am getting advice from someone from South Africa and someone from Canada! So happy you took the time to comment to me in my little part of the world. Do either of you have Target stores near by? You both have given great ideas. I don't understand how to pick a paint color for furniture that complements the selected paint colors. If I do 2 colors on walls, should the desk and other wood pieces be same color as the lightest shade painted or different? Do either of you think it would add visual interest to the room to install a chair rail and paint lower half of room some shade of white or cream and the accent color at the top. Can you tell my "cottage style" trying to sneak in? I didn't know if it would work with all of the lines from the cinder blocks (wish I could cover with sheet rock but too $$$). Ladies, your interest in my little project warms my heart! I will post final pics if I can find it in the advice column! Any special trick for that?
  • 11 years ago
    The trick for finding this discussion again is to bookmark it. You'll find a button to do that directly underneath your original post.
    clb1961 thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Good evening, clb! It's easier to pick furniture first, and then find the best wall color to complement that. Generally, with furniture you can get away with bold or fun colors, and wall colors are easiest on the eye when muted - especially in a windowless room!

    I did look at that Sherwin Williams Reflecting Pond that you mentioned in your first post and, yes, it's a beautiful color! It's a good example, though, of a color that would be best suited to a piece of furniture - or as a feature wall in a larger room with lots of natural light.

    If you have a table in mind that you could re-finish, then we could consider Reflecting Pond for the color, and build the rest of the "look" from there.

    Your idea of color blocking the upper half of the walls might work, but again, it would be something you work out once you have more pieces of the puzzle in place. I kind of like the idea of stopping the white color at eye level, so that you could mount student artwork just above it - right where your upper color starts.

    I think your key pieces will be your desk/table and the chairs - then it will be easy to build from there.

    I'm not sure about Dina, but I am near a Target, although being in Canada, the selection can be different. I'm not even sure if the Threshold Windham collection is at the store near me.

    I remember you mentioning some bright green chairs - are you able to post pics of them?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You could install carpet tiles over the whole floor in stead of finding a rug. Placing a rug in your office that does not go wall to wall, will break up the floor and make it seem smaller.

    Choose a floor covering that the students would like too. This will make them feel even more welcomed. Something with simple lines and with color. All of the students wear denim [and it is country friendly], and they all are used to graphics - comics, graffiti, etc. . .[rug #2].

    For these rugs below, the walls could be painted off white. Original art from the school staff would be wonderful...from students might present a problem since every student probably would not get the chance to exhibit their art in your office.

    Keep furniture very simple and make sure you have enough storage for all of your files, etc.

    Set your desk facing the door, a pair of chairs facing the desk and angled towards the desk at the corners of the desk. Add a pair of fold up chairs [folded up when not in use] and lean against the wall.
    clb1961 thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank ypu for this geeat advicee! I had also considered the carpet tiles because they have used them in other areas of the school. I was concerned that the carpet should be wall to wall so you answered that question! I love the carpet selectoons you have shown. I also need carpet to help with sound and helping to feel cozier. Thanks so much for your time!
  • 11 years ago
    Brown is said to increase comfort and trust - as a color choice. Cherry desk would make the place not so 'cinder block office' or would it? I just wonder if rug and accessories wouldn't help.... you want something to anchor their experience as they look in your space....
    clb1961 thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    Posters -I am so overwhelmed by the generosity of your time and efforts to help me with my project. I am reading every post and appreciate every suggestions. I love to share ideas with others and think outside my comfort zone (pretty narrow zone). I have settled on paint colors suggested by Karen - goldish cream and muted aqua. Definitely checking in to carpet squares for wall to wall. they can be pricey but I don't need that many. I do have some flea marker finds that I would love your input about! The first is some chairs for students.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What a fun project! So glad you appreciate how important your surroundings are! Students might not get this, they will only know that they love being in your office - and that alone is enough!

    Please keep us posted as you progress? Thanks heaps!

    P.S. My sister is a retired 2nd grade teacher [35 years worth], and she is always in the back of my mind, making me re-read [sp?] all of my posts and checking for typos!
  • 11 years ago
    the first chair is dark aqua from target that is $36. Second set of chairs are at flea mkt for $15 each (can be recovered by me because I sew), 3rd set are lime green at flea mkt for $15 each. Which pair would look best? Now I have some flea market finds for writing tables that would be easy to paint.
  • 11 years ago
    the craftsman style desk is $30 and the desk w chair is $90
  • 11 years ago
    Find some way and some surfaces to get regular lamps and ditch the florescent. It is too harsh and prison like. You want a warm comfortable feeling in the counselor's office to help make your job easier and the students more inclined to take you into their confidence.
    clb1961 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago
    looking at these desk chairs. First one is actually tan leather on sale for $80 and the second one is at target for $113. I have seen some great redo projects on pinterest w desk chairs.
  • 11 years ago
    decoenthusiaste - I love lamps and want at least 2 - one on a table and one floor lamp. any suggestions for style? Would love ideas.
  • 11 years ago
    everdebz - I love the natural element of the bamboo rugs and would not have thought of using those. They are reasonably priced!
  • 11 years ago
    Hi clb, I like that second set of chairs, if a gold/blue color scheme is what you've decided on. The chairs look slipcovered?

    I like the harvest table best. The other seems more dining room than office?

    And, yes, you can't go wrong with a white office chair!

    So, you are off to a great start!
  • 11 years ago
    karemore - I thought the cherry desk with chair would similar to the beautiful Pier one desk the Toscana which is over $300 I saw it at the store and it is even better in person.. I do like
    the simplicity of the harvest table style.. I could paint it - I like doing diy. What would be a good paint color? Sounds to me lik eyou may be leaning more to the Dunmore cream and spainsh for thewalls. The 2 guest chairs are upholestered. I can redo those in any fabric. Does the chrome desk chair or standard rolling chair look best? I was very excited about carpet squares but disappointed in how expensive they are!
  • 11 years ago
    Good evening, clb!

    I definitely like the office chair with the arms - you will appreciate being able to sit in a more relaxed position when chatting with students! It's too bad the flea market chairs don't also have arms, as I would think the same would be true for the students. On the other hand, just creating a relaxed, fun environment will offset the less comfy furniture, I think.

    I'm not necessarily leaning toward the Dunmore Cream. I do like the idea of a muted teal as well. It's whatever you think will work best in the space.

    Assuming you go with Dunmore Cream (or similar) and a blue rug, you could paint t the table maybe a soft teal, or a blue-gray? And, there's nothing at all wrong with painting it a crisp white.

    Showing below a few possible colors: Cape Blue, Nimbus Gray, Pelican Gray or Gentle Gray.
  • 11 years ago
    Here's another possibility - what about the lime green flea market chairs? They definitely give off a happy vibe! You could do something like Ben Moore Mount St. Anne for the upper part of the walls, and the Mayonnaise for the lower part. Mount St. Anne has a little more blue in it than the Raindance I posted earlier, so would look better with the lime green chairs, I think.

    You could then paint the table white. You would get a nice play of whites - the lower walls, the table and your office chair - each in slightly different shades, which would be textural and interesting.

    Showing below a collage using the lime green chairs, the wall colors, and an indoor/outdoor rug which would pick up on these colors:

    I inserted a random white table for visualizing the look.
  • 11 years ago
    It doesn't surprise me that the carpet tiles are expensive. The only brand I'm aware of is Flor and, yes, they are pricey!

    The indoor-outdoor rugs would be very low maintenance. They can actually be hosed off to clean them - not that this is something you would do in a school!

    Here's another one below. You can have a lot of fun with color and pattern. This is also from wayfair.com, as were the other two I posted. They are dirt cheap. Other online stores that would carry this type of rug include rugsusa.com and overstock.com.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Well, just to mix things up a little bit, the more I think about your office space, the more I believe that the end wall, straight ahead of the door, could be developed for the best use of the small space.

    As genius groveraxle suggested, comb your school's storage rooms for two to four file cabinets that have 2 drawers [low]. Line them up on the end wall, in the corners. Place a top on the files that spans the entire wall. This "desk top" could be made of shelving material found at building centers and is sold in various widths, is wood grained or white and would be the only cost for this monster desk surface.

    Doing this would make the space appear wider. It would also be possible to place [found] book shelves on the desk surface over the file cabinets.

    Hang an art piece of a vista between the bookcases to add the appearance of depth to the room.

    Keep the side walls simply painted. Install ledges for student art that would lean there. I know that installing these ledges would take a little work, drilling into the concrete, but it would be nice to have. Maybe other posters have ideas for getting these shelves up?

    Keep all business items on the end wall and free up the rest of the valuable floor space. It can get claustrophobic in small rooms if there is just too much going on in there. Use airy colors throughout with artwork that has a horizon in the distance. Think "smoke and mirrors"!

    Some ideas for color combinations too.
    clb1961 thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • 11 years ago
    Sandy G and namijati - you have provided very thoughtful and proactical ideas I have never considered! I appreciate the pictures of small offices with the desk against the back wall. I have a very special print of a painting by one of my favorite artists in our state. It is a nature scene of a beautiful creek. It wasn't large enough for my old office but might be perfect for this one. I love it when people help us think out side our little box and both of you have done this. I like theidea of painting file cabinets the same color and putting a top on them or doing combo bookshelf desk along back of the wall. The safety issues are something I must keep in mind. Bless you for sharing these great suggestions!
  • 11 years ago
    Sandy - my space is important to for my students. Students loved my old office and liked to come in there and for no reason because it made them feel cozy and comfy to catch their breath. It is th efirst thing my older students comment about - what happened to your old office -I loved it! I feel like I have to make this one as nice, if not better! With all these great ideas - it will be! I am staying positive that smaller can be better : )
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thank you so much for your comments and it is my pleasure to suggest solutions for threads! I agree with all of the tips you received from nasmijati. Being a peer, she/he knows more about the safety rules and subtle touches that are important to you guys.

    I love doing this and since I am retired, my home and all of my friends and relatives are taken care of design-wise for the time being, contributing on Houzz keeps me involved with what I love to do.

    Thank you for posting your design dilemma!
    clb1961 thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • 11 years ago
    Sandy - what was your career prior to retirement?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Only a counselor would ever ask me that! Bless your heart! I could write a book, but I will spare you that yawn!

    My first dream job lasted 30 years! I was designing and constructing costumes for live theatre. Mostly historical -- I love research! I usually had a small staff and many visits from the actors. For some reason, the costume shop was a "groovy" place to hangout!

    Decided to go back to college in my '50s and changed my earlier major from physics education to design - graduating at the top of my class - mostly because I was a "mature" student and just did the work!

    I landed my second dream job at a furniture retailer with 5 storefronts and spent my days at work going from one furniture setting to another. Heaven! The job description included everything from designing a new setting on the showroom floor to tightening up an older one as a lamp or pillow sold. Of course there were many other tasks and responsibilities included in this position, but most of this job was hands-on display.

    Ever-so glad that I discovered Houzz! It has filled a big void in my life.

    Thank you for asking! I am flattered!
  • 11 years ago
    You have had very interesting careers! Before counseling, I was a Family and Consumer Science (home ec) teacher. I enjoy sewing but can't imagine designing costumes. You certainly got to be creative in both careers. A lot of lucky people on houzz get to benefit from your advice!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much! Actually, being a "creative" is no big deal. Everyone is creative. Some are creative cooks, teachers, lawyers, electricians, waitresses, absolutely all people think creatively in one way or another.

    Home Ec teachers in high school taught me the love of sewing that changed my life! They often asked if I would come in and do a presentation re: costuming to their classes. Was so much fun - the students put the costumes on and modeled them for the class. We turned them inside out to check out the way seams are different from street wear, etc., ways to distress fabrics, how to construct costumes so that they would make it through the run of the show, on and on!

    You could absolutely design costumes! Since you can sew, you ARE a designer already - having to select fabrics and trims for the pattern. That is all it is, really.

    What is your sewing forte' ?
  • 11 years ago
    Hello Sandy - sorry for delay - work has been crazy this week. love sewing curtains, house décor items, or little girl dresses. I haven't made anything in a long time. I would like to try one the simple easy sewing machine quilts. Maybe I could sew a "photo" for my office on a canvas . Have you ever done anything like this?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I have not tackled anything like this and do not really understand what you mean. I have a simple but workhorse machine here - nothing fancy - so sewing a photo would produce a pretty rustic look!

    Is sewing a "photo" what it sounds like? I mean, when you have finished, does the image look like a photo - stitching completely covering the canvas with all of the shading and colors? WOW!

    While designing & constructing costumes, I often used machine applique. It was difficult to find fabrics with large medallions in the print - especially for the Renaissance era - my favorite. If I did find something that would work, it was out of my budget for the show. So I just made my own out of old, raggy & tattered textiles found at thrift shops, tag sales, flea markets, etc.
    clb1961 thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • 11 years ago
    Yikes!!!! I would steer clear of all that hard/harsh stuff and put in comfy stuff. Public school kids have a hard enough time talking to the school adults, I'd go well out of my way to be comfortable. And forget all things old. Dive bomb facebook and put up a collage of posters shared among kids, peppered with academic posters, real life facts, maybe there music tuned way down. Try to avoid political bias... that stuff scares kids, they can't vote yet and it makes many feel impotent. Good luck.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    gaylenoe, I was not suggesting that these Renn. images should be in this counselor's office - just answering a question. I am so sorry if you assumed that I thought these would be appropriate for this office. So sorry if my response mislead you and I totally agree with you. This office should be colorful and fun.

    clb1961, have you had a chance to work on your new office? - sounds like you are really busy with your job! What age are the students you are working with? I agree with gaylenoe that it might be a good idea to accessorize your office with images they know and love. Make them feel more comfortable.
  • 11 years ago
    Sandy G - I was talking about an applique or quilt like fabric picture - either glued on canvas or on a lighter weight fabric and attached to a canvas. I have painted the office and found a rug. I painted my little desk but don't like it. I am still looking a free desk. I so appreciate your help and feedback. I am going to post my completed room. I have been sidetracked with a couple of projects. I am a high school counselor in a wonderful community in a small town on the outskirts of Little Rock, the capital city of Ar. Sandy, do you post photos on your page of your costumes?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    So glad you have made progress on your office project! Please post some pix - even of the process!

    2 years ago I donated all of my costumes to a local theatre. . . I retired from theatre because I was burned out and physically spent! I do miss having the costume stock here around Halloween because I rented them out. However, with so many places selling mass produced costumes now, it was better for me to donate and get my basement back!

    I do not have a page that I post on.
  • 4 years ago

    Did you ever take pictures? It's been 7 years and you may no longer be at the same school but would love to see what the office ended up looking like. I'm trying to help a therapist who is in a similar situation.