Software
Houzz Logo Print
canadianpeep

Carpet and drapes too busy?

11 years ago
Couple disclaimers...The carpet is what we've purchased, but a larger size is being delivered this week (store messed up). The couch will eventually go too, being replaced with a grey/brown suit-pant fabric.

Do you think the curtains and carpet compete/are too busy together?

Note the curtain's main colour is a perfect match to the accent wall colour and the wavy stripes perfectly match the chair colour. These curtains took me forever to find. arg.

Dilemmas!

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    There is enough break between the two that they're not fighting. Very interesting curtains.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the two together.
  • 11 years ago
    awesome! dont know if i like the green couch though .. try brown leather!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Jordan, poster said they're getting a new gray/brown couch so the green couch will go:)
  • 11 years ago
    Ok, positive comments, that's good!

    When you say break between them, do you mean the physical space? I ask as we're getting a larger version of the rug which would close the distance.
  • 11 years ago
    they are good in same room - break is provided by chairs even with bigger rug.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The curtains and rug work great together -- good eye! I think the green sofa is the issue. And, based on your description of the fabric choice for the new sofa, I think you'll find it all comes together beautifully when your new sofa arrives!

    Also, the size of the smaller area rug is okay, but I think the bigger version will be better because it will cover the gold tones of the wood flooring and allow the cooler tones of the rug and curtains to be the focus of the room.

    Also...love the lamp. It's a great complement with the curtains. All around....great look and good job! All that's needed is a dynamic piece of art over the sofa!

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 11 years ago
    New couch, nice art on the bare grey wall, and a piece of colorful pottery on the coffee table. Will look great!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Although you aren't requesting ideas on art or other decorating concepts for your room, I hope you won't mind if I suggest an idea for art. I think a large, rectangular piece of black and white photography would be sensational in this room. Something simple, but bold in statement on a subject that is, perhaps, close to your heart. It could be about landscapes, cloud formations or animals, so am posting some examples. Just thought I'd share....

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 11 years ago
    They look great together, once the couch is the room will really work
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The combination of the curtains rug is very chic! Nicely done!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It looks like I'm outnumbered, but I would have gone with a light pattern on pattern rug that matched your light colored wall and then you could add graphic pillows to work with the style of your drapery and modern coffee table, while introducing an additional pop of color in the room that could also be coordinated with art.[houzz=
    Putney, Loft Conversion · More Info
    ]/11338923/Orana-Ikat-Pillow-Gray-Brown-modern-pillows;[houzz=
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think it looks fine!!! I would bring in some side tables, a soft dark gray throw, pillows and some art for the wall. I think once you add some accessories it will work just fine!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Give it a pop of color..... doesn't have to be much just a little something "unexpected".
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I too think the rug and the drapes work well together -- they are a nice blend. Your new couch sounds like a good match too. What I think is missing is color! Try orange or yellow pillows, vases, a tray, a throw, etc. When you're ready you can also change up the accent wall color to something brighter and not so neutral.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I have to disagree with what most are saying. I don't think it's pattern that doesn't go with the rug but to me it's the lines that are competing. You have the lines of the color blocking on the rug and the vertical wavy lines on the curtains and I think it is all too linear. I wouldn't mind a pattern on the curtains if it was a little more free flowing.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi---I like the drapes-but not with the blinds... I like the rug---but not with the color of the wood floor. I recommend finding another rug, can be geometric, but avoid stripes/lines, as there is enough in drapes---should have a lighter color than wood floor and pull in hues from elsewhere in the room. Here's an example of one. I hope this is helpful. Really like all the pieces, just not all together. Make sense? Keep us posted and Good Luck!
    http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=gray+and+gold+rug&taxonomy=sto1&ralt=sto6,sto43,sto7&TID=AR:TRUE&searchtype=Header#quickview=9213498
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I feel you are headed for a little bit of a challenge here. There is - or will be with the addition of the new sofa - pattern on the floor, the sofa and the drapery panels - all different kinds and related loosely by color. The rug is casual in feel, the draperies dressier, and the new sofa sounds transitional.

    This might make it rough to find artwork that will fit in with all of these differing patterns and styles. You could change the draperies or the rug for something solid. Simple natural colored drapery panels that fill the window wall, corner to corner, or a solid, long shag or flokati rug for some texture.

    Draperies and new sofa - probably fine. Rug and new sofa, not sure [ casual rug with stripes and no color of the sofa in there, and the sofa in stripes too but dressier].

    Coordinating 2 of the 3 elements better will gain you a more cohesive space.