rhoneyman

Need help room that serves as a sitting area and dinning room

rhoneyman
October 14, 2014
I've had 3 different designers (not from houzz) that came in to help. They are all 3 lost interest in the small but most important details. This room has panels on the sliding glass door. We were told not to put curtains on the 2 small windows on other wall. Both the mirror and lighting fixture over the table were recommended by designers. Like both, but what can we do get them to talk to each other. I'm have trouble coordinating and bringing life to the room

• Becky Nelson
    Stay with Lynette. She knows what's best for your space.
    rhoneyman thanked Becky Nelson
  • marsharigby
    I think Lynette has some good ideas, but I still think there is going to be a problem putting drapes on the two windows. rhoneyman - while we are still waiting for your husband to move the drapes, could you measured the space from the corner to the window? And then the width of the window? And lets see if we can figure this out before he gets home again. The width of the panel you are planning on moving is approximately 20 to 24 inches pleated if it is a single width panel. From the look of your windows I am guessing they are at least 36" wide. I'm also guessing from the corner to the window it is about 6".

I've copied your pictures so we don't have to keep going back to find them. The finials are going to take about 4" of space and you will have to put them right up to the corner. Then you have 24" of drape that will take you into the window 22" leaving 18" of window open. sandradclark - what is you idea for the second panel? To put it on this same window and get another pair for the other window or put the other panel on the right side of the other window and just have two panels? Not sure how you were planning on hanging the panels, but as you can see because of the small space in the corner there is no stack back room and the panel will cover most of the window. I found some pictures of drapery panels framing two windows. This may work for your windows and then find a large painting or print to fill the space between them. The reason I like the drapery like this is that there is little room between the chairs and the wall and any one walking there will brush up against the drapes. What do you all think?

Need help for my dinning room area

How about a bright color on one wall and a large mirror, print or clock to give some personality to the room?

Help with wall color for Living room + Dinning room area.

Dont get too excited lol, not everyone will agree. Instead of going with the shades on the lamps I decided that I really loved the colour of the cushions once I started playing with colours and especially when you have great art work and pieces to showcase, I don't know, for some reason this colour works very well with everything so far.. again just my opinion.

Need help with my living (dinning) room / working (entertainment) area

Depending upon your budget, you can make a huge difference in the space if you go vertical, rather than having to place all of the furniture and storage pieces out in the middle of the floor. Put shelving and storage up on any wall you have space for it.

Help help! I need help on living room/dinning room

Perhaps I'm not understanding your question. But if you're asking to interlace tile into a wood floor, it likely will not look good not to mention problems with the ease of installation and functionality. So, don't attempt this. If you're asking to put ceramic tiles in the area adjacent to wood flooring, then the answer is absolutely possible. You should consider separating the two floors with either a wood or tile transition perpendicular to the lay of the flooring. One last consideration, I personally do not like to see more than two dissimilar flooring surfaces in the same area. This tends to make the area look cluttered, not to mention additional difficulty arranging furniture, etc. Kirk, MVH
  • marsharigby
    Here's another on with a wider space between. And then some windows with no drapes and one with a cornice. The cornice has to be up to date not one from grandma's house.
  • rhoneyman
    sandradclark: yes you are right. I need to wait until I see what curtains look like on the other 2 windows. Do you think I should use the same drape as on the sliding door? marhsalrlgby: the width from the corner of the wall to the outside of the window frame is 8 1/2". The windows are 36 1/2 in wide.
  • marsharigby
    Also while we are waiting can you find the largest picture in your home and hang it where the mirror is so we can see what a picture would look like opposed to a mirror.
  • marsharigby
    Yes, you need to use the same fabric for both the slider and the windows. You have enough pattern in the room and need to keep the draperies all the same.

Okay that gives you another 2". Before we move on to the option of panels on both sides of the window, what do you think about the pictures above with just one panel on each window? We'll wait for sandradclark and how she envisioned the panels. In the mean time post a photo of one of your pictures between the windows.
  • rhoneyman
    Sure. Photos attached Can you look at the links I provided above for curtains and give me your feedback. Sandradclark your input?
  • marsharigby
    Just looked back at your basement pictures to see if there was anything that you could put between the windows. Love the owl. If it isn't too large hang it between the windows - just to see what a picture would look like there - he needs to be down your basement, he's the focal point there. But lets play with him.
  • rhoneyman
    sure. waiting for pics to upload. gmail is running slow
  • marsharigby
    Sorry just missed your post. That actually looks great. See you took two chairs away from the table. I like it better with 6 chairs. I know - everyone said there were too many chairs, if you check my first post, the two chairs on each side balance with the two windows. I don't think your chairs are part of the problem. It was the mirror and the drapery. How do you feel about this picture? I think it is good but would need a wood or black frame rather than the grey. You don't need to add another finish.

Looked at your links to the curtains and really like Portico but they are sheers and I don't think that is what you want in here. Also they are 102" wide which is going to be to wide for that corner. Does make them nice and full though. Look at this one http://www.countrycurtains.com/product/010850808+satin+linen+stripe+grommet+top+curtains.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2&refType=1 A linen is more fitting to your space.

But before you start looking at more draperies lets decide if draperies are going to work on these windows and if so where to hang them. What did you think about moving the two from your slider to the dining area? If you don't want to do that then we can look at something else. But that is what we are looking at right now, so if you aren't happy with them at all then we need to move on.
  • rhoneyman
    I'm happy to move those from slider to windows. With respect to the picture. I like it better than the mirror.
  • sandradclark
    I love the picture but I still think the rectangular mirror was the best. I do not think putting all six chairs back is better. I think one drapery panel from each side of the slider is going to work the best at each of the smaller windows behind the dining table. Then buy additional draperies exactly the same to hang clear across the slider. Take flat panels down completely from the slider. Let's don't deal with any other rooms until your dining/living room is completed.
  • rhoneyman
    Okay. Mirror is back. Will get rods to go all the way across windows and slider. Post when done. Maybe can get husband to do it yet tomorrow :)
  • marsharigby
    Love the owl but not here. sandradclark you're back. Ok, are you saying one panel per window like the pictures I added above?
  • sandradclark
    No, the Sierratradingpost or the Countrycurtains will not work better than the ones you have.
  • sandradclark
    Yes, I think one panel per narrow window will work as you demonstrated, marsharigby.
  • marsharigby
    The only problem with putting them on the slider to go all the way across is that these came from Bed Bath and Beyond and they only come in 50" widths. I was looking at the site rhoneyman had above at Country Curtains and the did have draperies for sliders but if you notice this slider is wider and rhoneyman also wanted to keep the blinds on the slider. Correct me if not.
  • marsharigby
    rhoneyman, just caught your remark about liking the picture better than the mirror. Which picture - owl or the landscape? and which - mirror round glam or black? Because this is your room and if you like it better then that is what you need to put there. Art is very personal and it needs to reflect what you like. And I love that owl. So what and what?
  • marsharigby
    I also like the landscape, but with a different frame and a different mat. I think it works with your room best. I also like the black mirror. What do you like? Because we are all going to have a different opinion and you have to live with it. Did you decide where to put the round glam mirror? There was talk about it going on the wall going down stairs. If you put it there then that changes the mirror on the dining wall. You will need a picture there. Just asking while we are contemplating the draperies on the slider.
  • sandradclark
    You would not just need one panel on the sliders, you can have several. They also can be sewn together to create two. The idea being finding a good place for her existing single panels and solving the problem of the flat panels combined with the pleated panels now on the sliders.
  • marsharigby
    rhoneyman, got your measuring tape handy. Can you measure the width of the slider?
  • marsharigby
    Sorry, you need to measure from the outside of the frame. Then measure from the floor to the top of the frame. Measure the height of the windows also - floor to the top of frame. Oh, and also the the height from the floor to the ceiling. That should give us what we need for the rods and the drapes. How long are your panels that are now on the slider?
  • marsharigby
    Sandra, I'm confused as to what you are seeing is on the slider. I see two side drapery panels and a blind that covers the window. The blind is what rhoneyman said she wanted to keep along with the blinds on the windows. When they are pulled closed you get the same effect from them so the seem to match. I think that is why there are just side panels and not a full drapery going across them. So we need rhoneyman to clarify what is going on and the reason for it. If the blind stays then I don't see a need for draperies to cover them unless that is what she wants.
  • marsharigby
    Also it is much more time consuming to sew together panels versus purchasing draperies made for a slider. And is rhoneyman going to do that? Do you sew rhoneyman? We need to talk this through.
  • Joanne Smith
    You said that your tastes ran to traditional so the dining room set reflects that. The only thing I would do is move the narrow drapes off the sliding doors and place them on the dining room windows. You can use a longer rod and tie them back. If you can, remove the shades from the chandelier because they clash with the traditional table and chairs and either get shades that match or leave it without and paint it a dark gold. Keep the picture if you like it better than the mirror.
  • drcakel
    too many competing patterns and styles, i.e, pattern in rug, pattern on dining chairs and pattern on furniture in connecting room, barstool backs and dining room furniture style. this is not eclectic just some how wrong. change out something inorder to bring it together. need rich colour on walls even if it is deeper neutral. pick something from the fabric pallette.
  • rhoneyman
    Okay. My husband was a super trooper. Here are pictures of the one panel on each of the side windows. Left one panel on each side of the slider. The panels hung on the slider door were meant to be stationary curtains with no intention of using them to open or close. The white counter tops and cupboards were white when we moved in here. We will be replacing the counter top with granite at some point. We moved the furniture around as someone had suggested. I know we need wall art and décor to make this area personal. We've been looking but have not come across anything that seems to work, or that I can seem to vision purchasing to later add another piece. I am not opposed to painting just don't where to stop one color and add another with the design of this whole area. An accident wall? Sandradclark and marshalgby your thoughts now?
  • rhoneyman
    more pics. Seems like a lot of rod right how, but if we could find the "wow" factor of artwork?
  • rhoneyman
    adding a pic of a rug for your thoughts on. thank you so much
  • sandradclark
    I like the drapery panels added. I love the mirror. I liked your sofa & chairs where you had them in original positions. You can pull down the pleated shades the way you had them originally on the 2 side windows where the drapes were added.

I absolutely loved your own area rug. Do not like the new one in photo. Please when you feel you can afford them, buy new upholstered chairs for heads of table as you had planned to do. Use a plain fabric that coordinates with your chairs in the living room. How do you like the change? You did not add full draperies across the slider.
  • Becky Nelson
    You are getting there but those curtains are hung too high and I liked the scene picture better.
  • marsharigby
    That looks good. The drapes all work together. Did you read my post about you liking the picture? Now that you have the drapes up try the picture you like again. Leave it there for a couple of days and see how you feel about it. You said you like a little whimsy and maybe that is what is missing in this room. Maybe that is where you personality needs to come into the room and the space between the windows is a good place to do that.

Where were you thinking about using the new rug? In the sitting area? I don't mind the rug in the dining area and I think you need another one to bring the sitting area together and make it one defined area so the chairs aren't floating by themselves. You can mix rugs with patterns but you need to be careful. This new one looks like a larger pattern and that my not work in a smaller space. For the sitting area I think a solid one, maybe a blue like the color in the pictures or the blue wall on the stairs. Then a couple of blue pillows for the sofa. The large black and white pillow is maybe a little too large. If it was the same size as the smaller white, black and blue print it would look great with the two blue pillows and do away with the print one.

You need to move the round table closer to the corner and move the large black chair also closer so it doesn't come into the door way. The black chair needs to centered on that wall. Take down the picture above it and try the two floral pictures stacked above the black chair like Lynette suggested. That leaves the two slipper chairs - not liking them where you have them. Another idea - going back to the black chair - can you get another one like it? and put them where the sofa is now in the middle of the room and move the sofa back and put one slipper chair where the black chair is. What would that look like? Play with it and move it a round and see how it would look with another black chair and only one slipper chair. But first move the lamp table into the corner and move the black chair over. It doesn't work the way it is now. Don't move the pictures yet unless you don't mind make more holes in the wall. Maybe try one floral print where the smaller picture is just to get a feel for it. Hope that's not confusing because I gave you two ideas at the same time.
  • moogers
    Curtains are NOT hung too high. Do not lower them!
  • missmagnolia
    the mirror, the owl print, the landscape are all too small for the wall area. the rug under the table is wrong - take it away. the settee/sofa is better on the wall, the chair needs to be removed - what are the dimensions of this combined room? how often do you open the sliders?
  • jillbertsch
    Hi RHM,

My hat is off to you sifting through all the input. I'm late to the task, but it's never to late to see results. So sorry you were misled by 3 designers prior to posting on Houzz. It, too, can be a blurry experience; however, you are the only one who makes the decision to make changes. You stay in control.

Congrats on the improvements thus far- resized dining table, remove the girlie mirror, move window treatments! (Window treatments can be challenging. Don't sweat them now)

Something that WAS working in your original post was the white sofa on the angled wall with the slipper chairs. It makes a strong first impression from the stair landing. I hope you eventually put it back; but, with one small change. Remove the blue chair from this setting. The space isn't large enough for it and the style is too heavy for the other pieces. Can it be relocated, perhaps in the alcove downstairs after removing recliner & piano? Or in a bedroom? Or even tucked into the corner of the dining room?

I'm curious ... Of the pieces you have now, what are your favorites? Historically, you said French Country/Victorian style are you? If a lodge isn't your style then, please, don't force yourself to live in it.

Any good design has a style/color inspiration piece. What is your inspiration piece?

Things still to consider: 1. To paint (or not to paint) the window & door moulding. If not, 2. consider a wall color that has less contrast to the moulding (one of the golden or greige or malt hues from your wood floors?) ... though painting the moulding would pay off in spades! Once you nail down the paint color and get it on the walls, and yes, it would be best to do all the walls including the stairwell, it will be time to work on the fluff. 3. The light fixture over the table needs shades with texture. Something that speaks to the sofa and chairs, something woven perhaps. This is easily a DIY with fabric or burlap (ecru colored).

You have made great changes so far! Slow and steady will avoid costly mistakes. Thanks for reading.
  • jmmcv
    I think your room is looking better because you have better balance between the light and dark elements. I hate to add to this, but i think your sofa is badly positioned. Why not try eliminating the big black chair all together. Move the sofa back to the back walls, slightly angled between the two walls and bring the chairs to where the sofa currently sits, with the table between them. I think it would open your space up more and add pattern in a different space. Most of all, stay with what you feel comfortable with. Someone mentioned living with change for a few days before coming to a conclusion - good idea.
  • happyleg
    Try slipper chairs with table in corner & chair on each side.
  • happyleg
    One other thought put slipper chairs in each dining room window.
  • happyleg
    I don't like the recliner with the slipper chairs in same area.
  • melora9
    Remove mirror, lighting fixture, and drapes
  • marsharigby
    Now that the dining area is taken care of, lets get a fresh start with the the sitting area. Take every thing out except the sofa and light. Take down all of the pictures and take the pillows off the sofa. How do you use this space and how much seating do you need? You have black and white here. Is that the color scheme you want to use?
  • marsharigby
    Post a photo of the space without any pictures or pillows.
  • marsharigby
    Instead of the black chair and round table, what about a buffet there. You could put the light on it and stack three pictures above it next to the lamp. This would give you storage for table ware and linens that you don't have room for in the dining area and make better use of this space. Put the two slipper chairs where they were across from it.

To see what the pictures would look like on the wall, get some paper and cut it the size of the smaller black picture that is there now. Stack three of them where the black picture is and four of them over the sofa in pairs stacked. Use the two walls for a collage of pictures that work together.
  • sandradclark
    Let it rest
  • rhoneyman
    what a difference a pillows makes.
    flair lighting
    where did the curtains go? they looked great!!! i like the chairs where they go in the living room, and still whant you to slip cover the rest.
  • jmmcv
    i really like the combination of the sofa, artwork and lamp on this wall. At some point you might try separating the two chairs so they face inwards to the sofa, place a tiny (12" diameter arm height table between the two, eliminating the large ottoman. If you needed you could place a very slim coffee table in between but i think it's unnecessary. The light in this area is nice.
  • lepstein
    I like the new look, except that I liked the curtains on the windows. Is the ottoman new? It is exactly like mine (from Pier One). I love it, although I have put a tray on it so my grandchildren won't jump on it and adults won't sit on it (not sure how strong it is, but it lends itself to many different colours of decoration). I wouldn't paint your walls and don't really thing you need a rug in the sitting area.

People have mentioned the big black chair. It doesn't really show up on my screen. Is it in the corner to the left (on screen) of the sofa? Unless you need it there, I'd put the table mentioned by marsharigby there.

Enjoy!
  • sheilaskb

I would suggest you get valances that match the peachy-beige curtains on the other windows. To bring out the silver of the mirror, place a silver-tone pitcher or vase on the table and fill it with colorful flowers -- even artificial flowers and greenery. Since you have the florals inside the glass globe, I would suggest you place the globe on a fairly large silver-tone tray or platter. The red candles seem a big high, so I would suggest you place them on black stoneware saucers as the black saucers will tie in with the black trim on the chandelier shades. If you wish, place the candle/saucer units on the tray so that each one flanks the globe. If you add any wall art or family photos, place them in silver-tone frames to play up the silver as your main accent color. However, I would suggest you find some colorfully printed or painted salad-size plates and vertically display three or four of them on plate-hangers on each side of the large silver mirror. When the table is set, I am sure the silverware adds to the décor. You might invest in silver-tone metal charger plates and keep the table set with them most of the time. A white runner, which matches the fabric shades, placed across the length of the table, will tie the window and chandelier shades and the chair upholstery in with the color scheme. You also might make small bolster pillow covers in silver fabric and place each one at the seat-back juncture of each chair. The pillows will add a soft texture, plus the "bling" of the silver in your decorating scheme.

• gtcircus
    Some ideas