Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dezinertipe

Ideas for minor kitchen update to large gourmet kitchen...

dezinertipe
9 years ago
I need help with how to update my kitchen. I love the space, but the house is ten years old and I need to refinish the floors and probably the cabinets. It got me thinking that the kitchen is a little tired and needs a minor update. The cabinets are solid alder, but I've considered painting them cream, carmel or white. How would that look with the granite? I also thought about going to a dark stain for the cabinets. . I'd like to do the floors a dark walnut, though, and that is maybe too much dark wood. I have always disliked the granite, but don't know if I can replace it. I want tile back splashes to coordinate with a solid material countertop. If I have dark cabinets, I want a light countertop and visa versa. Could I just replace the backslashes? I plan to add pendant lights. The range top and all appliances are good, but the microwave is too high. I want to add a farm sink, maybe in copper, glass fronts to the cabinets on either side of the range, and a second dishwasher. I'd like a different range hood-something custom, maybe copper? And I'd like space for 8 burners instead of the current 6, but now I'm getting into more than an update because cabinets around the range would need removal and remodeling. I think I need to ditch the stuff above the cabinets on the soffit, but should it be bare? I love my Italian ceramic dishes, but don't know how to incorprate them into a new design.

All ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Anna

Comments (11)

• studio3600
    9 years ago
    Definitely, pendants over the eat in island. Also, have you considering painting the islands? I like the idea of a cream color for them. (Maybe a distressed cream)
  • dezinertipe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for such great suggestions!
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I would take everything, everything off counters, islands, and soffit area and post pictures of basic kitchen. then put back ONLY items that need to be out for proper kitchen functioning, or that are very special to you and would be missed if not on view. your great kitchen is too cluttered.
  • PRO
    Leslie Cohen Design
    9 years ago
    With all of this work, you might want to consider varying the heights of some of the cabinets. The solid line of cabinets all at one height makes your ceiling look very low. If you really want the room to feel fresh, the appearance of a higher ceiling can do wonders.
  • Phyllis
    9 years ago
    Add some color
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Cabinet refinishing is a huge project. Instead work on the floor to compliment the granite and the cabinets. I would pick a really dark or really light floor. Add hardware to the existing cabinets for a new modern look. Get a stainless steel vent over stove top. Add modern pendant lighting over island. Throw a few rugs on the floor. Get lighting under ur cabinets and above. Remove most of the decor on top of the cabinets. Your recessed lighting in the ceiling is boring. Switch from white 'cans' to a bronze or stainless steel. Possibly have some custom made barstools that can slide under island with lighting under that top as well. Change wall color. Also add a fancy backsplash. These are relatively affordable items that can really change the original appearance. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Painting the 2 islands would be nice. Don't have a pic but my mother just did hers in a weathered white and a dust of gray for a chic look but left the original cabinets that actually look like urs. She added very light flooring to compliment it.
  • PRO
    Delton Cabinets
    9 years ago
    You might also consider closing in the gap above your cabinets... perhaps a bulkhead that comes out the depth of your cabinets with some recessed lighting... this would definitely update the space.
  • PRO
    Cabinets 4U, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Time for an updated color palette! Here is a great article http://bit.ly/1u1TOb5
  • rananashville
    9 years ago
    If you truly want it to be a minor update, I would rein it in quite a bit:

Maybe just restain the island cabinetry/wood in ebony -- and match your hood with that stain color. (Look at the darkest colors in your granite to help you find the exact stain value.) If you want a lot of impact, you could even go with a more unusual stain (with some green or other interesting hue).

Consider bringing in some light-colored rugs (runners) and coordinate one focal color of the rug with some low-hanging pendant lights over the eat-on island.

Remove the greenery and any platters that are not in frequent use. If you find the top of the cabinets too bare, then display those pretty Italian dishes there, if that's practical for you.

And see if you can get someone to alter the cabinets alongside your range-hood to add a glass or chicken-wire. First make sure you can keep the contents "presentable."

Little changes can go a long way!