Software
Houzz Logo Print
deannab

Help this House

14 years ago
No one can ever believe how nice this place is once they get inside, probably because of the way it looks from the outside. I'm looking for any ideas to help improve the curb appeal, so it is more of a place I'd like to come home to and don't feel the need to quickly usher guests inside. I also have an appraisal coming up soon, so something that will help the value too. Any and all ideas will be a big help. Thank you.

Comments (18)

  • 14 years ago
    I would spruce up the patio upstairs there. Maybe with a tall potted plant to add some color and life...
  • 14 years ago
    Perhaps an arbor type of structure over the balcony, and new railings on the balcony, similar to this:
    Chalk Hill Residence - Outdoor Spaces · More Info

    Also some details could be added to the facade like this:
    Zero Energy House · More Info

    And last but not least, paint the front door a cheerful, welcoming color and put some colorful flowers in the planter lining the driveway.
  • 14 years ago
    Its a lovely house just needs a bit of an update. A new entrance door and a new colour scheme would update this house. Check out the colour scheme of the house in modern family - modern greys... Also landscaping!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Larger more impactful light fixtures would add interest, and definitely agree a tall plant on the balcony to balance the left side which is currently empty. Front door needs to pop, currently lost above the heavy staircase. House # needs to be larger, and more interesting. Depending on the # of digits it can be written like Seven as opposed to 7, in nice script.
  • 14 years ago
    It looks as if you have metal siding and so there is no window or door trim that is noticeable, no architectural details that are evident. I would put window grills on the French doors to make them look like divided lights. Maybe some color on the door would define it better as well as perhaps painting the metal railings black. Plants can do wonders to dress up a bare exterior.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with painting the front door. A line of small flower pots lining the left side of steps would invite visitors to your door. Going dark with trim colors would add interest.
  • 14 years ago
    i think it looks to plain but other than its fine
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    The first thing I would do is paint the garage door a clay color that makes it blend with the brick, like Benjamin Moore's Twilight Dreams 049. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/twilightdreams This color (or one similar to it) will make the stairs look less steep and narrow since there is no brake in color. I would also paint the facia of the porch floor this color.

    On the front door, loook at Aegean Teal 2136-40 and paint the sashes and window trim Tuscany Green 2140-20

    A couple of brightly colored chairs and potted plants on the deck will make the space look usable and inviting.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    ourfarmhouse, I love how you transform a building!
  • 14 years ago
    thanks, houssaon.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Ourfarmhouse you made fantastic suggestions! That is exactly what that house needs. I hope they take your advise and post pictures.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Ourfarmhouse, I would like to know what program you used to illustrate the changes to this house. I do this sort of thing on paper, would love a better way to show my ideas to my clients. Appreciate your input and I loved your ideas!
  • 14 years ago
    Well done with the visual update. The only thing I would add is a large potted plant on the porch above the door with a lovely seating area. Very welcoming!
  • 14 years ago
    HI - I guess it depends on how much you want to do .- but just a bit of a fix - I think you should pick out the darkest color from the brick and paint that color on the lower part and the garage door and stairs. Then put that same color on the roof trim and the belcony edge. I would replace the balcony railling with a modern dark metal frame w/ frosted panels so you can't see the bar-b q etc. You could add an awning style roof over the balcony area.Have something tall on the left side of the balcony like a decorative tall lattice panel planter. Bigger lanterns, and larger house numbers , a great color on the front door or a modern new door or a restored antique wood door. Front stair railings should match the balcony rail . The frames around the windows could be added to and some trim to the bottom of the bay window area.As for landscaping - add some daylilies to the planter on the right. Most of all - I'm not liking the color of the siding - I think it's too pale and looks pink to me.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks, guys.

    Waterfront Interiors, it's just good ol' Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.

    tlbeck, It really needs another window on the left side, but I was trying to stick fairly close to existing openings.

    This house could really have a lot of charm!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I think wide trim moulding around windows and around roof, etc. would help so much. I also agree with buying the grille trim you can add to the sliding doors, or use vinyl tape as panes if the inserts protrude and would catch as you opened the sliding doors. What about a flower box with overflowing greenery under the bay window? I like the idea of painting the front door a darker color making it the focal point. I also think you should paint the garage doors to match the brick. On the side of the balcony you could add a trellis with climbing greenery and flowers to give it a punch of color. The house facade has so much potential.
  • 14 years ago
    Ourfarmhouse, your suggestions are good but I would try to balance out the second floor facade. seems unbalanced. Not sure what... a medalian or a light & moulding or potted plant.