Software
Houzz Logo Print
luckyme7

Are you with me or my husband on this?

11 years ago
My husband and I can't agree upon whether this ceiling treatment will work for our family room. First floor is 9 ft tall. Since the kitchen, breakfast and family room are all in one straight line, we have been figuring out ways to define space. The ceiling in this picture is about 5 1/2" deep, so effectively family room will have 8 1/2' ceiling after this.

Whatever you guys pick he said he will go with it. In order to avoid any bias, I'm not going to say who wants what...winner will be announced end of week :-)

A) Don't do it, you'll feel claustrophobic
B) Go for it, it's worth it!

Floor plan and ceiling photos attached. Please don't distract this post into reviews on my floor plan. We are halfway through construction and it is too late to change anything.

Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago
    Here are the photos of the floor plan and sample ceiling.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think it makes the space very busy and detracts from the elegance of a large room. I would define space with rugs, paintings and placement of furniture. So that's a 'Don't do it!' from me. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Don't do it. There are many ways to define space with furniture and accessories. When you get your kitchen table in there, you'll find you have natural definition anyway. The ceiling will be very distracting unless you have minimalistic furniture and decor.
  • 11 years ago
    I vote no, but not because of claustrophobia. I assume its the same concept you're using in your dining room, and I think it's fine there since its a defined space, as a true coffered ceiling would encompass the whole room and be integrated into the surrounding crown moldings. But I think it would look awkward in the family room, just ending in the middle of the ceiling. I would define the space with your furniture and a big rug in the family room. If you think that's too wide open, you could have the builder box in 2 fake posts and a beam across it, but I wouldn't bother. Undefined spaces give you much more flexibility in furniture and decoration. I'm not a pro, just my humble opinion. I'll be watching to see what the pros say. Good luck!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    No for me too , Too busy and has no connection to anything just plunked on the ceiling.
  • 11 years ago
    Nope,,it's too busy and it seems a bit out of place. In the photo, it looks like the owner decided to add something on the ceiling just for the sake of adding something and didn't finish whatever they had in mind
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    My vote is, no.
  • 11 years ago
    It's a complete afterthought. And looks it. No way.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Agree with keeping the ceiling clean and simple in this situation.
  • 11 years ago
    No to that specific form of ceiling panelling....floating in mid-ceiling with no connection or relation to the form or scale of the room generally. (But YES to a coffered ceiling done right in the right space as part of an overall coherent architectural plan.)

    To define space, you may want to consider dropped headers with or without columns. I recommend getting an architect's advice.
  • 11 years ago
    So, who won the knife fight here?
  • 11 years ago
    I would pass. Doesn't add anything to the room's design. Sometimes we want a particular design, regardless how it works overall. I understand. Been there.
  • 11 years ago
    And the sweeping victory goes to the WIFE! After such overwhelming vote for "Don't do it" we decided to leave it alone. Thank you for all the responses!
  • 10 years ago

    I had to read the post and look at the picture three times before I got it?! No one would do that as a divider. I thought that was started and stopped and you weren't sure you should continue, but if that's finished...? Hell no!

  • 10 years ago

    Well, they worked it out a year ago, pan.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida