Software
Houzz Logo Print
jillglen

Living room panic.

11 years ago
I have this new home and the living room is bigger than my old house. I am keeping the couch and the half moon table. My dad made the table so it is sentimental. I need more furniture in here but have no idea what to do or how to warm up this space. Help!

Comments (58)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    While I do like the LR chairs, they look to be more of the height of a dining room chair. Too "leggy" for a living room. I can see a couple club chairs, which will bring the seating area lower & more relaxed.

    I do love that little table between them tho....reminds me of this Stickley table below.

    I also think an area rug is needed to really bring this room together. It's the missing "glue".
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think you should move the couch to the long wall (and perhaps look for a larger piece of art) and add the round table next to it with a lamp. Move the half moon table to wall on right and add a large mirror (place on the low side) and a lamp. I would straighten the single chairs to face forward for a more modern feel. In right corner as you walk in, add a chair or a chaise lounge. Add a tray to the ottoman and an area rug will pull the whole area together. Once you have your drapery + rug + pillows, it will feel more complete. I would also introduce another color and mauve or purple is warm, modern and fun.
    houzz=
    Domicile id · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Palos Verdes Estates Remodel · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Amoroso Design · More Info
    ];
  • 11 years ago
    I think I need an 8 by 10 carpet or rug. Any suggestions on colours or design. We don't like antique looks or flowers. Sigh. Not so easy to find
  • 11 years ago
    Should the club chairs be fabric or leather? Any suggestions and with what rug. I am finding this so challenging to pull together.
  • 11 years ago
    Go on overstock.com and look at area rugs. I Iove the sparse modern look of you room. You will need more lighting: floor lamps or a small table lamp on your demilune table.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The consensus seems to be add an area rug, and we agree. It defines your seating area - almost like a tray for your furniture. Consider a texture for the rug; shags bring a new dimension to your space. Since more and more homeowners are using hard surface flooring, the rug designers have really stepped up and are coming up with some amazing additions to their lines.

    You have great wall space. Consider adding some big art. Fill the space! Many people are under the misunderstanding that large pieces can make your space seem small when - in fact - the opposite is almost always true. A big mirror would add to the already great lighting in the space.

    And a side table - solid to the floor - may be a better choice between your chairs. Since your sentimental table is open, a heavier one will balance out the chairs and other pieces.

    Now add a tray with some books to the ottoman, place some of your accessories in the space and even add some greenery or birch to bring in some elements from nature!
  • 11 years ago
    I have changed the room around. What does everyone think? Where should the lamps go? And I have to change the art work. Or should I keep it?
  • 11 years ago
    A round mirror over moon table will be nice. Good you have a floor lamp.
  • 11 years ago
    I think those 2 framed pieces on the long wall should be hung closer together...inside the living room area.

    As far as club chairs....I'd just go with something that jumps out at you. Keep an open mind & if you have something small, like a pillow, that is the fabric (or close) of the sofa, bring that with you so you can see how the 2 look together.
  • 11 years ago
    I don't care for current arrangement, it cuts off DR. I think sofa should go on long wall as Craig and Maureen suggested above. Could half moon table go on wall opposite long wall on side that's closest to DR or is a TV going there? New larger chairs could flank sofa creating a u shape.
  • 11 years ago
    This one is crying for help from AbbeyJean. If any of you know her, please send her a post. Killeen, what are the rooms dimensions?
  • 11 years ago
    That's jillglen, not Killeen...... darn auto-correct!
  • 11 years ago
    Definitely add a splash of color to make it pop! It's a great space but I think bold accent pillows (ie orange or red) would love great! Maybe even turquoise would be nice. I always like bringing in plants to liven up the space as well.
  • 11 years ago
    jillglen ... Agree with the above suggestion to place sofa on the long wall where the half moon table is now.

    I think that you mentioned that the only pieces to remain in the room are the sofa & the half moon table. Would the 2 smaller chairs fit in the dining room as end chairs or could they be placed against the dining room wall?

    Room dimensions would be very helpful. Where does the other opening lead to .. entry hall?

    When rearranging the present furniture remove the large ottoman so as to get an actual sense of the space that you will have.

    Place the larger pieces of furniture first, then tables, rug, pictures, pillows.

    The 2 chairs in the room can be used as mockups for the new chairs.

    You did not mention if there will be a TV in this room.

    Need to know the pieces that you will be using to make accurate suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    I definitely think the couch should go on the long wall. Then the chairs ( or club chairs) can go in front of the windows. You need to add some color- especially lighter colors, as the room feels very monochromatic and dark. Some long fun curtains would help, as well as a larger piece of artwork over the couch.
  • 11 years ago
    The chairs don't have to stay. Only the couch and table. The art can change too. No tv in this room. The couch on the long wall is good. But the opening prevents me putting chairs directly opposite the couch.
  • 11 years ago
    @jillglen, a visual of the arrangement I think would work with sofa on long wall. This is the u-shape I mentioned.
    Locust Hills Chateau · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Would you please show us a pic of the u-shaped arrangement as MarleneM has suggested?
  • 11 years ago
    As mentioned by several other posters, an area rug might go a long way in helping bring the room together and making it cozy. Choosing a rug can be difficult, but we have several rugs in our collection that might inspire you!

    Here are few ideas that may suit your style and your space - and we have many more on our profile page.

    Tanjib rug in Hemp · More Info


    Worthington rug in Cool Grey · More Info


    Fence rug in Light Blue Ivory · More Info


    Best of luck!

    Capel Rugs
  • 11 years ago
    I like to look at the back of the sofa so if you can place it where it is seen the most it will be good. I would also like to see both paintings on one wall together.
  • 11 years ago
    Here are a few photos of the living room set up in the way suggested. There is a big space behind the one chair and where the windows are. I will not keep the square ottoman. And the chairs will change. How does this look? It does give a flow through to the dining area
  • 11 years ago
    I like the positioning except for the paintings. They should be about a foot apart I think.
  • 11 years ago
    The art will change for sure. To the person who recommended more color, what did you have in mind. This is the tricky part for me. I don't know how to choose colours for accessories. Or accessories themselves.
  • 11 years ago
    What about the space near the windows? What can I put there?.
  • 11 years ago
    jillglen ... this arrangement looks like a keeper!

    Wondering if the sofa is centered on the long wall .. it doesn't need to be .Would like to know if there is sufficient room to pass from the dining room opening. If it seems a bit tight I would recommend sliding the whole arrangement down a bit towards the windows.

    Next step is to think about end tables & lamps. Do you plan on using end tables? The half moon table looks as it might be a good height to use as an end table. Have you tried it for that purpose before? Put the flat side to the arm of the sofa.

    Window treatments?? Will you be using drapes or shades?

    That small table that was previously between the 2 chairs could be used as a plant stand & placed on the small angle wall by the windows (if you are into plants).

    On the wall opposite the sofa "a slimline console" ( with a lamp) be a make a nice option to give some weight & height to that side of the room. Could hang a large mirror above it to help widen the room.

    Then need some lamps on the sofa side. Perhaps the tall floor lamp that is there now ( not sure if you have 1 or 2 lamps there) could go on the side of the sofa towards the dining room.

    As for more color .. do you want more color or are you going for a monochromatic look?
    What colors do you have in the adjacent rooms?

    Would you please show a close up of the paintings on your wall for accent color suggestions?


    Don't hang your paintings until you have "all furniture placement" finalized.

    Getting this room to give you the feel that you want will involve moving things around a bit & using the suggestions that feel right for you in your room.
  • 11 years ago
    If I shift the whole arrangement down towards the window then there is a larger space on the dining side. I do want to have side tables and drapes. But I am bad with adding color. I play it safe which I hate about myself. Lack of color confidence
  • 11 years ago
    If there is a larger space on the dining side it doe not matter as long as the pathway from dining to living does not seem too tight. On Houzz it's all about trial & error.Most people when they are given a color suggestion will buy the item try it out in the room .. just keep the receipt & return. Do you have any shops nearby?
  • 11 years ago
    I think it looks good Jill. Is the sofa centered on the wall? I realize it's not easy to get a straight on pic for us because of the narrow depth of the room, so it might be centered, I just can't tell. The room will look more complete when you get larger chairs, area rug and curtains, so the empty space by windows won't be noticeable. As far as the art, it needs to be a few inches apart. I think the dark frame of the art is maybe to dark though beside the wood trim on sofa. Maybe they could be moved elsewhere and get one larger piece of art for behind sofa.
    You said you were having trouble finding a rug that wasn't traditional or flowered. There are many geometric styles around now, what do you think of them? Do you have a colour scheme in mind, or do you want to keep it neutral?
  • 11 years ago
    Ha, looks like Leona and I were typing at the same time, I got interrupted by a phone call though.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like the initial configuration. Just add a few accessories: area rug, drapery panels, throw pillows, floor lamp, wall art.
  • 11 years ago
    We went looking for larger chairs tonight and are debating between fabric and leather. Hubby likes leather but I am not sure. The pictures can go in another room or not be put up at all. What shape art would work. A large rectangular picture? I Do want to add color but I don't have a flair. Hence the neutrals. I would like the room to pop a little. And we will buy a new table in a rectangular shape and maybe side tables too. Is out lamp the wrong fit? I will attach a pic. Help on pattern and drapes. Just don't know where to start with that.
  • 11 years ago
    Here is a picture of the room in two parts. Can't show you the full wall with couch positioning. Also pic of lamp and the adjoining dining room which is also a work in progress.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes to leather chairs, different than couch.
  • 11 years ago
    What shape were you recommending? Tub maybe or is that too compact?
  • 11 years ago
    @jillglen, you are such a trooper, moving around your furniture and taking all the pictures. I thought sofa should be centered on wall, but the more I look at it, I think Leona is right it should be moved closer to window. It will be fine because as she said would open entrance to DR. Art behind sofa should be rectangular and be at least 2/3 width of sofa.
    Leather chairs can be nice if stylish and in an unexpected colour. For drapery, I notice both LR and DR windows are off center. Drapes can camouflage that. For the DR I wonder if buffet should be moved to in front of window. Not the ideal place to put one, but i don't think you have the room to have it beside table.
    Here are some rug suggestions from plushrugs.com. Wondering what u think?
  • 11 years ago
    Jillglenn you are really doing an amazing job putting some much time and effort into this space! It's going to look great! As far as color- I think burnt oranges or light blues look great with browns and. can do a lot for brightening up the space. Whites and creams will also help it seem airier. Attached is an idea for artwork that would look good.
    Some fun and colorful pillows and curtains will go far.
    http://houzz.com/photos/87784
  • 11 years ago
    Should I change the lamp to a different look? I looked at the three rugs Marlene and the middle one is good for me. Hubby hates green in it and he says it's too busy. He is not a green person. Sigh. I think it is too zigzag for us. Doesn't inspire tranquility. Sorry
  • 11 years ago
    Don't be sorry jillglen, knowing what you like, and don't like, helps to narrow things down. If you want more tranquility possibly a tone on tone would suit you and hubby better. More colour could be added into room with art and pillows too. Although these are in the orange/yellow family, they are available in other colours too.
  • 11 years ago
    I think you have to much furniture in the room. Try moving one of the chairs out. Try putting the couch on an angle also. Just a thought
  • 11 years ago
    A couple suggestions. First of all, I would change the wall color. I can picture a pale Perwinkle blue on the wall or a light Aqua. The paint color will open up the whole room and keep it from looking drab and boring along with your neutral furniture.

    The couch needs some varied colors and patterns to make it stand out. I would place it on the diagonal where the windows are. I would move the ottoman to the other wall and get a longer coffee table. Put the two chairs and smaller table on the other wall so that you can open up the room.

    Get a fantastic rug with a great pattern to tie the whole room in. In fact, before you buy your pillows, buy your rug.

    A few links:

    http://www.wayfair.com/Chandra-Rugs-Bense-Garza-Rug-BEN-3015-CUG6197.html

    http://www.wayfair.com/Chandra-Rugs-Bense-Garza-Rug-BEN-3001-CUG6184.html

    http://www.wayfair.com/Chandra-Rugs-Bense-Garza-Rug-BEN-3002-CUG6185.html
  • 11 years ago
    Or sofa table...in front of windows, not a tall bulky highboy. Credanza table.
  • 11 years ago
    Ok the couch up against the current wall is great! wall color good! I think that the peach like rugs that someone has posted are a great pallet more the 2 nd one! the design that's flower like because it pulls in the dark and light colors you currently have! I would also lighten up on dome decorative pillows pull colors from rug as well as pull some suddel patterns! bring in some floor to ceiling window treatments something light a flowing! elegant!! move the two chairs on same side of the room prefer the window side! add a small glass or mirrored style round table between the two! Dont block the flow between the two rooms! grab some art work for above the sofa! add a sofa table or credenza to the opposite wall from sofa add a large mirror or a set or trio of smaller mirrors with a lamp or two on either side! add some accent pieces throughout the room to bring in color! the ottoman could stay! add locking casters to bottom! this will help move it round if need be it can be mulit functional ! coffee table ottoman or scooted foe extra seating
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You def need less furniture. Yow. You might need art and curtains though. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Ok. Found a rug I like. Not sure if it is too small.
  • 11 years ago
    The rug is fine with the furniture placement. You need lamps, at least 2 more couch pillows. Get the green or rust, or brown.
  • 11 years ago
    People say the rug should fit just under the legs of the couch and chairs. The ottoman will be going and we will get a rectangle table. Any comments on rug size?
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks happy leg how about drapes?
  • 11 years ago
    Rug size looks right.

    Is there a path to walk from dining through living room & go though the other opening ( not sure what room that is) & not be walking on the corner of the rug?

    If not the rug can always be pushed a bit further under the sofa. You can decide when you get your new chairs.
  • 11 years ago
    There is a clear path to walk through to dining room. The next size up was huge and you would have the corners hanging out. Now I need to find drapes to compliment the rug. Aaaahhhh
  • 11 years ago
    Cream or beige or linien drapes. Like duck cloth.
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio