Software
Houzz Logo Print
gordsc

Kitchen countertop

11 years ago
We are trying to come up with an alternative to the laminate countertops the builder uses in the home we are having built . The allowance is 800 dollars so we know we will have to put some money with it . Any suggestions on something a little cheaper than granite but better than laminate ? Roughly 35-40 sq ft of countertop

Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago
    Not much cheaper than granite these days.
  • 11 years ago
    Butcher block??? Tile. Granite tile
  • 11 years ago
    I don't think there is much in between those costs other than wood or tile. I am not sure how much custom concrete counter tops are...you could investigate the cost. What do you like or really want for countertops? Read through this article to get an idea....
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-countertops-101-choosing-a-surface-material-stsetivw-vs~1623075
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    With the smaller square footage you might be able to find a remnant of something at a counter top fabricator. The allowance of $800.00 isn't going to get you much.

    Have you considered going with a tiled counter top? There is a product called Benissimo Granite Solution which looks like a slab when installed. It is a granite tile system that is pretty slick. There are 15 granites to chosen from.

    http://www.benissimosystems.com/Granite+Solutions/default.aspx


    There is NO WORRIES with grout if you use Laticrete Spectralock Epoxy Grout. This grout will not stain, mold or mildew. Never needs sealing. Besides you can install them as close as two business card together thickness, if desired.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The two project photos below are where I used the Benissimo Granite Solutions on the counter tops. It is hard to tell that is not a slab counter top.

    The second photo, we did go with a matching slab counter on the island. The rest of the kitchen is the Benissimo system.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all , that benisimmo system looks great grout lines wouldn't be a huge deal for us . I'm going to do some research hopefully we can fit it in the budget
  • 11 years ago
    Slab is cheaper. Seriously.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    My location is in the Pacific Northwest USA. I'm an authorized dealer for both Granite and Quartz slab counter tops and the Benisimmo Granite System from my retail showroom. Benisimmo is half the price, some colors are less than half the price of the granite slabs including the labor of installing. After secret shopping some of my competitors, I found they were selling it about where I am.
  • 11 years ago
    Maybe you can find what you're looking for here http://www.web-don.com/. I bought my countertop and cabinets here cuz they are reasonably priced without compromising the quality. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    Best investment in value of home is kitchen. up your budget and go with best quality solid counter you can afford. Granite or Quartz. Quartz is best for kitchens. This is not the place to cut corners.
  • 11 years ago
    There are many really interesting new patterns from the Formica 180fx line of laminate. There is nothing wrong with using it. Why not just put in the builder or better laminate and live with it while saving up to have them redone in a few years, when you are not skimping to do so.
    I had my builder laminate beige counters for over 10 years in my new home and when I finally changed them a year ago, I got laminate again. Yes, granite and marble are beautiful, but it is so expensive. I am using the savings to completely remodel a bathroom this year. Enjoy your new home !
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There is also Wilsonart revolutionized laminate with Wilsonart HD. Easy care and durability along with style; so not only are they gorgeous, they’re also practical.

    Here is Wilsonart' link: http://www.wilsonart.com/homeowners/laminates/designs?criteria=hdhighdefinitionlaminate

    Here is a photo of the sample counter I have in my showroom.

    Remember, even though granite and quartz slab counter tops cost more, they will increase the value of your home and be appraised for more when you go to sell, unlike laminate counter tops. In speaking to the appraiser in my area, granite tile counter also will increase the value of your home, but not as much as slabs. The Wilsonart HD Laminate really does look like the real thing without the extra costs.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments , I think we will go with a nice laminate for a couple years , as I don't want to spend money I don't have . How durable is the wilsonart and other products like it ? My wife cooks a lot .
  • 11 years ago
    I currently have formica. It's been great for 18 years. I did put a hot pan on it one time and the glue separated but that can be repaired.

    Looked at the Wilsonart recently. The styles are fantastic. They look unbelievable. Much better than "budget" granite or most tiles. They can also do the eased edges like stone and quartz so its not like the olden days. I would seriously consider it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Wilsonart is definitely one of the better options if you do choose to go that route, we also from time to time have clients find great deals on granite remnants if they don't need much counter space. If you know you'll have to replace it eventually anyway, go with a good quality Wilsonart and just take good care of it - talk to the fabricator/installer about daily care, that's a great start - and for sure, never put a hot pot on it directly off the stove and never cut directly on it!
    Good luck!