Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdivito013155

Master bath: Before and (almost done) After

sdivito013155
9 years ago
Please be kind! This is my first post and first remodel. Started October 1st and mostly done on November 14th. Thoughts?

Comments (100)

• User
    9 years ago
    Apologies for all of my silly comments. It was a joke, I thought I was talking to someone else. Very sorry Mrs. Darzy.
  • User
    9 years ago
    My apologies for all the silly comments I have made. I misread some comments, and I assumed I was talking to someone else. I am so sorry mrs. darzy.
  • pcride
    9 years ago
    Is that the HVAC vent in the middle of the floor?

It looks great overall, I don't think the tub design quite matches... Cool tub but a rectangle deep soak tub would have looked good too.
    sdivito013155 thanked pcride
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    I disagree with pcride. A rectangular tub would have worked in a more modern bathroom. You have very dark, heavy and square cabinetry, with a shaker profile. The choice of an oval tub helps soften the overall look of the room and mimics the curve of the toilet.

Other things you can do to soften the room:

Hang shelves on the wall to the left of your window. The reason for shelves vs. a piece of art is to avoid another square or rectangle on the same wall. A sunburst mirror in an antiqued silver would also look great - it all depends on what it reflects back to the bather.

The type of window treatments used will further soften the space: Roman shades with a blue and white curvy pattern (not geometric). See example below. Or for a more spa and natural feel - a soft hung roman shade in a fresh white linen. See example below.

I will add pics of the mirror and shelving ideas in my next post.
    sdivito013155 thanked Ward Designs
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Mirrors and shelving ideas. I know that turquoise is not your color - substitute it with different shades of blue, white and taupe (or even some brown similar to your cabinets). A grouping of candles on one of the shelves would look gorgeous and add ambiance to your bathroom.
    sdivito013155 thanked Ward Designs
  • loganss
    9 years ago
    Great job you should be proud of that .
    sdivito013155 thanked loganss
  • Gayle Retske
    9 years ago
    Sdivito..You have done a wonderful job! I recently renovated a condo (from 1,500 miles away but with the help of a designer and a contractor) and the stress was unbelievable! I didn't sleep for months. I am now beginning a renovation of my new home but am approaching this renovation more calmly as I know what I like and have a different contractor (in different state from condo). Enjoy your new bathroom!
    sdivito013155 thanked Gayle Retske
  • thickskin
    9 years ago
    I'm not being kind, I'm being truthful; You did a fantastic job. Well done.
    sdivito013155 thanked thickskin
  • Rob O'Daniel
    9 years ago
    Looks great! Just out of curiosity tho, why did you keep the half-walls on the sides of the shower rather than go full glass all the way from floor to ceiling? I'm planning out a similar corner shower redo, so I'd love to know what factors went into that decision.
    sdivito013155 thanked Rob O'Daniel
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rob O'Daniel - Thanks! We kept the half-walls because of the vanity on the left side, and the right side just for symmetry. Also, the on/off valve for the shower is in the half-wall on the right for easy on/off before getting into the shower.
  • Marjorie Polk
    9 years ago
    Love it. You did a great job.
    sdivito013155 thanked Marjorie Polk
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    Instead of asking people to be "kind" ask them to be honest. Honest comment: you did a fantastic job! If that's the first remodel you've ever done, I think you've found your talent!
    sdivito013155 thanked diyer59
  • PRO
    Dream Home Professional Contractors LLC
    9 years ago
    the colors and materials used are great. To create a more dreamy bathroom, I would of installed a larger window, relocated the toilet and placed the tub below the window.
    sdivito013155 thanked Dream Home Professional Contractors LLC
  • vajeeha
    9 years ago
    its actually great.its looking nice.i donot think it requires any change
    sdivito013155 thanked vajeeha
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Dream Home - I like your idea, but not sure where I would have put the toilet and still kept some "privacy". Oh well, too late now anyways, LOL!
  • beingsimone
    9 years ago
    Great job! I know you were limited on space, however I would have had the bath a little further out from the wall. For first time though it is a vast improvement on the old bathroom, well done! Couple of suggestions: put a large mirror over the bath - it will open up that corner (especially as you have a small window). Also, change the large stainless steel laundry hamper for a wicker one. The metal one brings to much attention to it and is too heavy for the room (kind of dates it). A wicker one will blend with the timber vanity/cabinets and create a more organic feeling in the bathroom, creating a more seamless look. Enjoy your beautiful bathroom and that tub :)
    sdivito013155 thanked beingsimone
  • gerberjs
    9 years ago
    What are the prices of the items and total cost of the job?
  • organizedsarah
    9 years ago
    Very nice job! Please post pics after you add towels and accessories. I am a color person and would enjoy seeing what you choose to accessorize.
    sdivito013155 thanked organizedsarah
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Love the Tub!!! Can't wait to see the final result.
    - Michelle GKB
    sdivito013155 thanked Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
  • jbistro
    9 years ago
    Very nice! Can you provide wall paint color/ info? Thx and congrats!!!
    sdivito013155 thanked jbistro
  • Lucie Fortin
    9 years ago
    U have an amazing talent ,,it is gorgeous
    sdivito013155 thanked Lucie Fortin
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    gerberjs - total cost was around $40K, start to finish.
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    jbistro - wall paint was Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa in Gray Owl, 2137-60.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Good job. Bathrooms can be hard. But you are doing fine.
    sdivito013155 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Kitchen Masters, Inc.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    An impressive overhaul - removing that imposing linen closet really opened up this space!
    sdivito013155 thanked Kitchen Masters, Inc.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    amazing transformation!! Love the tub!
    -Angeline, GKB
    sdivito013155 thanked Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
  • lauralouzader
    9 years ago
    It is a very tasteful makeover, sleek and lovely. I love the overall look. However, you may be sorry for that tub. These types of tubs dismay me.. they are difficult and awkward to get in and out of, especially for someone older or lacking agility.
    sdivito013155 thanked lauralouzader
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    lauralouzader - Thanks for your comments. Have you tried to use one of these types of tubs? I haven't had the time to use mine yet, but, to me, it looks simple to just step over the side holding the higher back, and I'm 60. The old tub was unusable for me. We will see . . .
  • PRO
    Amba Products
    9 years ago
    Svidito013155 - this is a beautiful bathroom renovation! I love the colors you have chosen and the soaker tub looks fantastic. Also - gotta show my love for the towel warmer! What model towel warmer did you choose? It looks like a Jeeves model J-straight
    sdivito013155 thanked Amba Products
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Amba Products - Yes! How did I overlook the towel warmer? One of our favorite new things!
  • PRO
    Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous work! Especially love the tub! That will be so nice to come home to. Congrats!
    sdivito013155 thanked Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
  • lauralouzader
    9 years ago
    sdvito013155, I tried a few in the showroom, and decided never, never. Also, I don't like the gap between the tub and the wall, which is a dirt catcher. Still, you put together a gorgeous bathroom!
  • Amanda Roderick
    9 years ago
    I bet that feels great, looks beautiful :)
    sdivito013155 thanked Amanda Roderick
  • Nancy LaRochelle
    9 years ago
    Good job!
    sdivito013155 thanked Nancy LaRochelle
  • jleach111
    9 years ago
    Absolutely beautiful! I would LOVE to have this bathroom, especially the tub!
    sdivito013155 thanked jleach111
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Coming along great!
    sdivito013155 thanked SoCal Contractor
  • L Rob
    9 years ago

You did an amazing job! It looks wonderful. Amazing transformation!

sdivito013155 thanked L Rob
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    8 years ago

Looks fantastic, and a great use of available space!

sdivito013155 thanked Talianko Design Group, LLC
  • pvchaves
    8 years ago
    Beautiful and now so fresh looking and spacious.
    sdivito013155 thanked pvchaves
  • Eva Lutz
    8 years ago
    well done, looks beautiful !
    just one suggestion : to add more light and depth replace with or just glue on mirror rectangles on the 2 top rows of your closet next to the shower as well as on the top of your vanity tower.
    a bit of art on the walls of the tub and wc corner and you are done ! bravo !
    sdivito013155 thanked Eva Lutz
  • gaminola
    8 years ago
    Looks very nice! What color is the grout?
    sdivito013155 thanked gaminola
  • sdivito013155
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TEC AccuColor Sanded Grout in Birch

• Marjorie Polk
    8 years ago

Love it, but how will you get in and out of that tub? I opted out of that when I redid mine for fear of not being able to lift my leg over it!! Well done!

sdivito013155 thanked Marjorie Polk
  • organizedsarah
    8 years ago

Beautiful job...but a big mirror over the tub kind of frightens me. I just don't want to see THAT much of myself getting out of the tub!

• sdivito013155
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Marjorie Polk - I have no trouble and I'm 60. If you can step into a regular tub, you can step into this one.

• sdivito013155
    Original Author
    8 years ago

organizedsarah - there's no mirror over the tub in the remodel. Are you looking at the "before" picture? That's one of the many reasons we remodeled. Hated that mirror!

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    8 years ago

What a beautiful job! I especially love the tub!

sdivito013155 thanked Stecki Construction
  • organizedsarah
    8 years ago

You're right, it isn't in the remodel which I did see...I think my mind blanked out and went into panic mode when I saw that big mirror over the tub! It's the remodel with that beautiful new tub that I think is beautiful! I'm glad not to be the only person who is mirror-phobic when it comes to mirrors over the tub! I am not usually a fan of dark wood, but it makes your bathroom look very "rich". AND, I love the corner shower!

• PRO
    The Art Of Balance
    8 years ago

Beautiful job! I love the shape of the shower. With the window replaced, and color accents, this will be a lovely space! In feng shui terms, be sure to keep the lid of your toilet down and door to the outside closed when not in use.

sdivito013155 thanked The Art Of Balance
  • PRO
    Amy Wolff Interiors
    8 years ago

Nice transformation!

sdivito013155 thanked Amy Wolff Interiors