Software
Houzz Logo Print
cdubbz

Please help with my small living/dining room

11 years ago
I live in a semi-detached home and have a condo-sized living/dining room. I recently decided to remove the TV and create a "lounge" just off from the kitchen for entertaining guests. I decided to go for 4 leather chairs in a dessert gray colour and a contemporary rug that picks up on the chair. After several trips back and forth with different curtains, accent tables, I sort of got discouraged and put the project on hold. I was really hoping to gain more progress on the room before NYE so that we could have a few people over. I am looking fellow Houzzers to finish off the room (i.e. accessories, styling the fireplace, window coverings, accent tables, lights). FYI, new HD 2-inch wood blinds are on their way to provide privacy, but I am still looking for curtains. I love luxe decor and transitional or traditional spaces. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (32)

  • 11 years ago
    Hi cdubbz. The table you have centered between the chairs is too tall. Have you tried an ottoman or coffee table there? If you search "four chairs" in Houzz under photos you will be able to see what others have done with arranging four chairs.

    I'm fairly new to Houzz and haven't figured out how to add photos or I would show you some examples.
    Cee Dubbz thanked asterales
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would go for a large light coloured round ottoman everyone can share and then small end tables for drinks in between the chairs. I also think light coloured drapes would look best in similar colour to wall colour.
    Cee Dubbz thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Yes on lower coffee table and definitely yes on adding pillows in colors in painting.
    Cee Dubbz thanked marilynellis
  • 11 years ago
    Much larger, lower round cocktail table accessible from all four chairs.
    Cee Dubbz thanked alicejean
  • 11 years ago
    Agree about ottoman, maybe with a tray so it can double as a coffee table
    Cee Dubbz thanked greenfish1234
  • 11 years ago
    I think this room needs to be painted a warmer color;)
    Cee Dubbz thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes...I agree a lower round ottoman would work well in that space . Also, I love the picture in your room. I would use that color for inspiration. Finish off the room by adding a splash of orange or burgundy as an accent color . Hope this helps!
    Cee Dubbz thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I agree with some of the comments above. I think the draperies in a lighter, softer color might be nice. Also, a lower and lighter colored coffee table or ottoman. Adding some toss cushions with some color and pattern would brighten it up as well. Good luck!
    Cee Dubbz thanked Flawless Interiors Inc.
  • 11 years ago
    I think your room needs some color to make it more welcoming. Where is the entry to the room? Is it possible to angle your chairs differently, so that they are at an angle to the fireplace- making it more of a focal point? I agree that the table in the center is too high and an ottoman would be more inviting. I think your area rug is too busy and (sorry) drab. The green in your picture is nice and could be repeated in pillows and accessories, even in the Christmas decorations.
    Cee Dubbz thanked kpappal
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the feedback. Here are a few pictures of the room from the other angle. The first space you see when you enter the home is the living room. I have a long 18-foot hallway that I still need to think about decorating (another project).
  • 11 years ago
    @Margo any suggestions on paint colour. Because it's an open concept and dark wood floors: we went with BM white diamond. The colour sometimes looks blue or gray depending on the light that is coming in. But, am open to painting.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    One of my favorite neutral colors with a warm yellow undertone is ladyfinger 1045 from BM. This color will look great with your gray furniture and dark floors. Just what you need to warm up the place without looking to yellow. Or you can try one shade lighter - lighthouse landing. Please test it on your walls and view it during the day/evening. The samples always look different in your room.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    cdubbz- I felt your room needed color immediately looking at the photo, but I could not come up with a quick suggestion. I see Decorating Den just offered a suggestion of ladyfinger. I found a pic of it on Houzz and will show it here for thoughts. I am liking this color too;) Looks like it would go well with your blues and grays, and along with your dark floors. I also think your room would look great with cream curtains and the blue rug like in this photo. rest arrow on pic to enlarge.
    Portland Hills House · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    This is the lighthouse landing that Decorating Den also suggested. It is one shade lighter
    Volunteer Park Residence 07 · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Your wall color is just fine! The interruptive elements are the dark drapery panels that are chopping up the walls. Replace them with panels the are close to your wall color and settle the walls down, expanding the walls. Since there isn't much texture here, find panels that have texture. Or, install 2" - 2 1/2 " blinds in a light wall color. These draperies are not adding much to the room, actually.

    The cocktail table is chic, a nice size, and has an open look. An upholstered ottoman would be too heavy for this smallish space. You do need coordinating side tables for your chairs though. This might be a fun place to do something unique, like painted tables in a color that is in your painting.

    Add accessory pieces to this cocktail table that have some color from your painting - pieces like a pottery vase, books, candles, etc. These things can be very tall - adding a bouquet of dried twigs, cut flowers, grasses, etc, resulting in a variation in the height from the backs of your chairs.

    The mantle can be more interesting. The mirror should be replaced by metal sculpture or Chinese calligraphy. Your painting reflects an oriental feel and could be repeated over the fireplace. Objects on the mantle could be larger and fewer. In smaller spaces, limit the number of things displayed. Have lots of them if you wish, but change them out instead of putting them all out at once.

    When your holiday tree is down, rearrange your chairs so that they conform to the round table and face the fireplace.
  • 11 years ago
    Natural linen curtain:
  • 11 years ago
    I like Grover's suggestions. Also rotate the chairs so two flank the fireplace opening. And two opposite in a circle.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I echo Frugal Parisian's recommendation of a round ottoman instead of the coffee table and then small tables between each pair of chairs. Eventually I would paint the walls the warm beige color in the rug and replace the curtains in a gray and off white geometric pattern. The black curtains look a bit stark.
  • 11 years ago
    here is an inspiration pic for your set up. you have a beautiful room.
  • 11 years ago
    I still say some color is needed on the walls to warm/liven it up.;) What is the feel you want?
    The white looks cold and formal. Some color would offer warm and relaxed.
  • 11 years ago
    I think the draperies should be the same color in the picture background (blue/green). The walls should be taupe or the same color as the pillows.
    Cee Dubbz thanked mlynnrose
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hello,

    VERY unique idea and I love it!!! Few things...

    -Pick up a lighter neutral color from your rug for drapes, and this time hang them about 6-10" higher. I suggest a silk fabric to add shine to the room. Right now it looks dark.
    - Try switching the artwork and mirror. The art is larger and will help that fireplace to be more of a focal point rather than tucked away (as it looks now)
    - The candle holders are great but try not to put too much more decor on your mantle as it looks crowded.
    - For side table try bring in the "Luxe" element that you like and bounce the finishes our using on the mantle around the room. Try looking for chrome and silver side tables. Check out "Z Gallerie".
    - The art is lovely and I would love to see that color repeated in your pillows, this way with such a small detail you can switch your accent color out easily. This is why I suggest neutral drapes...

    Good Luck.
    Cee Dubbz thanked Masters of Design
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you so much for all your feedback. I've made some real progress with the room. New drapes and side tables and lamps. I moved the mirror on the wall and photo above the fireplace. I'm just worried because it's an oil painting. I will post pics soon.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Here are update pictures of the living/dining room now. The pictures are from my cell phone so they are not so clear - but, nonetheless - thanks for all your feedback!
  • 11 years ago
    One more photo! :)
  • 11 years ago
    Curtains look really nice, pick up the teal in your artwork for your cushions, vases
    Cee Dubbz thanked Irene Morresey
  • 11 years ago
    Colors of the painting look lovely over the fireplace, but unfortunately (with the bulk head above) I think the painting is too large :-(
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Yes, the painting is way too large. It looks like you are trying too hard! A piece about half this size would be better. "Scale" is the idea.

    Draperies are very nice. Pull your chairs a few inches toward the cocktail table. They seem to be pushed against the wall, so loosen up the group some.

    Find a piece of art glass for the table. Take advantage of the light coming in through the window. Something tall, robust, complicated or simple, that will be the centerpiece of the space. Something fine from the museum shop or you might find something at the thrift shop! It doesn't have to be expensive but it does need to be right - where ever it is from! Build a wardrobe of pieces that you swap out often.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think the key to designing an amazing small focus is to actually not focus on the fact that it is small. Great your dream space. Incorporate all the things you love then devise a plan to make them work with the space you have.

    I have an amazing blog post that I think may help.

    http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/01/19/decorating-a-small-apartment/
  • 11 years ago
    Yes on a lower coffee table or ottaman with a big tray on it. The curtains are too dark. I think pale blue and brown go good together.