Software
Houzz Logo Print
jodyfhyland

Kitchen cabinets dated???

11 years ago
So we just did a semi-redo of our kitchen which was less than 6 years old (enlarged island, new appliances, new pantry, enlarged walkways, and refinished floors). I'm reading over and over that arches are very dated on cabinets. We built this house not even 6 years ago and somehow I missed the whole dated arches thing. We wouldn't have been able to do anything with the doors anyway but I guess I'm frustrated that we apparantly built a dated kitchen without even realizing it! I really love the glazed look and at least they are solid maple...but I wish I had known about arches before building. So does it look awful and dated to you???

Comments (32)

  • 11 years ago
    Those don't look dated to me! That's a clean arch.
  • 11 years ago
    I still see cabinet companies offering arched options which suggests to me traditional not dated. You can't go wrong with glazed solid maple! A new sleek oven/ hood might give you the look you want, or knobs/ handles. Add splashes of color. Say people said brass was dated and its a big metal for 2015 I hear.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It looks like you have a beautiful kitchen - I'd call it classic, rather than dated.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you everyone! I really do like them and that is all that should matter. I also thought it was a more traditional look which is why I was drawn to it in the first place. I too am still seeing cabinet companies still offering arches. At least I know that not everyone will come into my kitchen thinking it is outdated!
  • 11 years ago
    I think you have a pretty kitchen and if when you go in that kitchen..... you are happy, that's all that matters. :) Everything seems to come back around anyway. :)
  • 11 years ago
    I think dated applies more to the finish. Yours look current to me but like Monique said, if you like them, who cares what other people think?
  • 11 years ago
    i have the same kitchen u have.. i think its good.. but if u want a huge change u can do this grey
  • 11 years ago
    Looks fine to me. Classic. Dated is over-rated.
  • 11 years ago
    Have you thought about updating your hardware on your cabinets, a modern linear pull in a brushed nickel would be nice. It is crazy how much just changing the hardware can give your cabinets a new look. Also updating lighting over your island would help lighten the space.
    Maybe even painting your kitchen with a color and adding some pops of color in towels or canisters, for visual interest. That way you do not have so much of the same colors in one space.
    Princetonian Bar Pull 6 5/16" (c-c) - Brushed Satin Nickel · More Info

    Quorum Pendant Light, Oil-Rubbed Bronze · More Info

    BEHR® Paint Color Cinnamon Cherry S-H-140 · More Info

    Chelsea Gray (HC 168) Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Ali Afzal your kitchen looks great! What a change from before!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Your Kitchen looks fine. However I like Ali Afzal idea Gray is hot today.
  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I didn't even notice the arched cabinetry and the overall feel when you look at your kitchen is certainly not dated. Even if you had chosen another style, 6-10 years is a lifespan if anyone is trying to keep up. I think with some slight tweeks, it can become more modern if that's what you are looking for. You could paint the island grey/black, adding complimentary hardward and lighting (even if not painting island, new pendants and hardware). houzz=
    Interiors for a new custom home · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Savoy House Glass Orb Single Globe Pendant Light in Oiled Burnished Bronze · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Tuscan / Spanish Industrial Style Pendant Light Aged Gray Rust Accents · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Rotterdam Oil-Rubbed Bronze Cabinet Pull · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    Your cabinets are fine, lighting and pulls will update quickly and be an inexpensive option.
    If you want to go further I would remove cabinets over stove and place a hood.
  • 11 years ago
    Not dated. I do agree with the poster who suggested a hood instead of OTR micro. But that's minor and not necessary. Lovely kitchen and I like that you haven't cluttered the surfaces..
  • 11 years ago
    Your cabinets look fine. I have the same arches on my cabinets and I'm not in a position to change them every time there is something newer out there.
  • 11 years ago
    A hood is something I may consider in the not so distant future. That would look good in there, however, if that means losing those cabinets, that could be a problem as we need the storage
  • 11 years ago
    The OTR is recirculating, not vented to the outside?
  • 11 years ago
    Nice kitchen. Good job. My advice if you want new breath or new scene to your kitchen, just change the colour to white for all your cabinet. Happy redo your kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    Your kitchen is lovely.

    I'm building a custom home right now and one of the toughest parts for me (which being on houzz has not helped with) is differentiating what *I* truly like vs. what I'm conditioned to like because it's on trend. A year ago I thought gray walls were (ducking!) ugly, but now I like them. Except I don't think I *truly* like them. I'm just used to them and apparently I'm a conformist after all. Lol. I know that inevitably my house will be dated, although hopefully tastefully dated, so my goal has been to put things that I will love no matter what others think. Because if my choices are dated in 5-7 years I'll still be stuck with them. Lol.

    Which is my long winded way of saying that I hope you love your kitchen and it brings you joy to be in.
  • 11 years ago
    looks great!
  • 11 years ago
    Well said katspeakz! I really do love my kitchen. Sometimes maybe it's better not to look at so many pictures because what you like gets lost. I love traditional and classy with rustic touches, and I do feel my kitchen is a good reflection of that. I guess all things will be dated at some point so, like you said, get what you like...if you can figure out what that is!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It is a nice kitchen... if you want, add a splash of color by painting a couple of the upper cabinets. I would move the microwave and replace it with a nice hood.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I too think it a lovely kitchen, certainly not dated and filled with timeless classic appeal. However, if you feel like it needs a new way to pop have you considered painting your walls? Buttercup yellow along with a touch of white and green came to mind, though it is up to you to find your own style. I look forward to seeing what you do next with this :) Good luck.
  • 11 years ago
    Manhattan Home Design thank you. Its hard to see in the photo but we do actually have it painted a nice yellow. That was something I really wanted when we built our home, a cheerful bright kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    @Katspeakz I don't think we really ever know if we like what we like because we really like it, or because designers, manufacturers, advertisers, etc have convinced us that our choices are "dated" if we don't subscribe to the latest trend. After all, they'd be out of business if styles remained constant over time.
    (Well, heck, I am mortified whenever I have to pull out my flip phone in public, rendering me "dated" in the eyes of onlookers. But, just you wait, I hear they're making a comeback.)
  • 11 years ago
    So true flopsycat1. So true.
  • 11 years ago
    I think your cabinets have a classic, traditional look with a lovely arch.
  • 11 years ago

    I hope it's not dated! We built 18 months ago and made almost all of the same color selections, down to the cabinet pulls. No arches, but only because veering from the builder's selections costs more. My style is very traditional, but of course I don't think I'm dated:) We got wild and crazy though and made the island espresso. I'd shoot a pic, but feeling too lazy to clear the counter!

  • 11 years ago

    i've had to stop tuning into House Hunters on HGTV because of the word "dated". it just galls me to see every perfectly good kitchen or bath get bashed with the term. As for your cabinets, they are your style...and more important than anything is consistency. And as long as a person goes with their own personal aesthetic, there will be rhyme and reason to their home. Everything will go-together because everything comes from the same frame of reference: YOUR style sense. So...in context, your cabinets are good!

  • 10 years ago

    I don't think your kitchen is dated and agree that no matter what is 'in" or "out" at any given time shouldn't really matter when it comes to your own home -- it's what YOU like. I have similar cabinets in my kitchen (no arches), and I have decided to paint them a very pretty Antique White, very slightly distressed (professionally). My reason is simple. My kitchen is too dark and there is too much wood everywhere I look! I have hardwood floors throughout my house and a lot of antique wood furniture.. I can let go of the "wood" in the kitchen to bring in another surface and color for the light -- literally --as well as the new look. My neighbors are horrified that I would paint these "beautiful wood cabinets!" So do what YOU like and don't worry about anyone else!