Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlasbobby

POLL: Tree topper - YES or NO?

A Christmas tree isn't complete without a pretty tree topper - or is it? And if so, what should it be?
VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! Pictures are welcome!
Yes - Classic: Angel or star
No - The tree looks best without anything on the top
Other - bow, ornaments, etc.

Comments (35)

• User
    9 years ago
    I want an angel, but all the ones I see have faces so small they are barely visible from below.
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Angel for sure. I had mine for the last 20 years. As a matter of fact, I love angels. The angels on the second pictures are a gift from my mother-in-law.
  • Melynda
    9 years ago
    We had an angel on the tree when I was growing up (and given the agnostic household I was born into, that was pretty funny and frequently irreverent!). My first tree on my own (married with a newborn) was a real Charlie Brown tree and we didn't have many ornaments. When it was decorated, I realized there was no topper, so I took the silk tiger lilies that had been decorations on a wedding gift and put them on the top. We loved them so much that they put in another 20 years as our tree topper before finally falling to pieces. They should have been tossed before that, but the kids wouldn't let us upgrade! We now have a pretty star, but I don't know if it will make the grade for more than a couple years.
  • PRO
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @suzanne_m: I like the angels your mother-in-law gave to you!
    @adivra: Angels are usually fairly small, so it is hard to see the details of the figure from below. I did some googeling, but I was not able to find a pretty figure with a bigger face unfortunately.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Or more like that...?
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Every topper I got always seamed too heavy and I could not find a pretty angel either so one year I just got a box of silver metallic pipe cleaners and bunched them up and cinched the bundle in the middle and just made a pom pom basically and secured it to the tree top and I have had so many compliments over the thirty years it has been used now .
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @lefty47: Can you please send a picture? That sounds amazing!
  • gigirambles
    9 years ago
    Always an angel - always.
  • ocotillaks
    9 years ago
    angel or santa depends on who's coming for Christmas
  • Anne
    9 years ago
    Love an angel on the top of the tree - both trees have one. Feels like they are looking down protecting us.
  • SueBee
    9 years ago
    I didn't have any luck with the angel or star either so this year there is nothing on top of my tree, but I would be interested in the pipe cleaner pom pom too!
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    It depends on the tree,,If I were to have the tree in a room where the tree would touch the ceiling, then no top. We have it in the family room, which is two story high, so we do have a top. It's a non-traditional star..delicate and sparkly..tried my best to take a photo
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd thanked printesa
  • granny4ten
    9 years ago
    Everything I've tried is too heavy for the tree.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Atlas --- I was going to try and post a picture of the topper but I cannot right now ... sorry . It just looks like a star burst in sparkly metallic silver .... very very simple .... took about 3 minutes to make .
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd thanked lefty47
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    a star light.!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I like bows or other embellishments for tree toppers.
  • erika_a
    9 years ago
    When I have a big tree I use the mercury glass star passed down from my parents and grandparents. This year I went non-traditional and did multiple small trees.
  • Jean
    9 years ago
    I used to put a lovely Santa Claus atop the tree. They were beautifully done, around a plastic cone base. I'm sure they were supposed to sit on tables or mantles, but they were so cheerful I'd put them atop my tree. I collected a new one each year for three years and then I couldn't find them anymore. When my 6'4" husband passed away one of my sons put his farm hat on top of our 7 foot tree and it was like having my big bear visibly with us again. His hat is now our traditional tree topper.
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago
    I have a beautiful end of day glass one from the late 1800's...I cringe every time I place it on the tree, but it's a family piece, so meant to be used
  • PRO
    KW REal Est
    9 years ago
    I put a big bow on the top of mine w/ streamers, very festive!!
  • Lms Mms
    9 years ago
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LOVE THAT SISTERSRUS! I always wondered where the angel on the tree came from, heeehahahahhohohohohooooo.......
    9 years ago
    Growing up in the 50's, we always wore hats and gloves to church. Five years ago my mom, who was 89, gave me all her gloves the she had saved. Pink was her favorite color - for everything. I decorated a tree tying the gloves on with festive ribbon, then I found miniature tea cups/saucers, and teapots and hung them on. Found some feather angels, birds, and a lacy sleigh. The top of the tree has various ribbons, feather plumes, a white peacock, and an old fashioned felt hat. Most of the décor is in shades of pink or white including bright pink lights. My mom has been gone 3 years now and I feel close to her when I decorate this tree; it brings back many wonderful memories. We did enjoy it together for 2 blessed years. The top is the "frosting on the tree".
  • geebee55
    9 years ago
    I have a beautiful Angel from the Smithsonian my father gave years ago.
  • Isabelle Seculier
    9 years ago
    My husband's favorite piece of tree deco is his Mr. Spock tree topper (on a Star Trek themed tree of course)
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    I have an artificial tree with a tree stand that rotates the tree. The tree topper needs to look good from all views. I finally settled on a black top hat with colorful trim on one side of the brim. We tilt it on the tree top. I think of it as the magic hat that brought Frosty the Snowman to life that day.
  • PRO
    Great Spaces LLC
    9 years ago
    Isabelle, that's hilarious!
  • skagitnana
    9 years ago
    For years we had a cardboard star covered with tin foil, then an angel, and last few years a Heutschenreuter china spire that fits over the top twig, very elegant. I'm sure I mangled the spelling.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I have few different trees, but no lit stars. Don't know why because I do like them and as a child, that's what we had. :) But on the main tree I alternate between....... a blimp with Mickey Mouse in a sleigh below, its lit,says happy holidays and rotates.... while raising and lowering. The other is a Mickey mouse that's holds on to the topper while holding and waving a lit lantern. Just depends what everyone chooses. Hope all had a great holiday and a happy new year. :)
  • chutiger
    9 years ago
    Our tree always goes right up to our 8 ft ceiling, so we pin a circular mirror between ceiling and tree.
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd thanked chutiger
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas break and a good start into the new year!
    @sistersrus: That story is hilarious!!!!
    @chutiger: That is such a good idea! It does look amazing!!
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

For those having trouble with toppers that are too heavy, try a piece of wire fastened in two or three places to the top of the trunk to reinforce it and make it rigid. Then just fasten the topper over the trunk and wire.

• dreamhomechicc
    8 years ago

They just aren't complete without a tree topper

• pdk920
    8 years ago

I seldom decorate a tree any more, but I have the glittery electric star my parents bought in the '30s. You plug in its old cloth cord and it lights up. It's heavy though!

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

An heirloom angel on one tree and an heirloom star on the other tree. :-)