Software
Houzz Logo Print
vchaffin

To paint or to Clean and refurbish the wood?

11 years ago
House built in 1903. What should we do, paint the posters and banisters or try cleaning them and see the wood.

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If the wood is in good shape, I'd clean them up, oil them and enjoy the wood.
  • 11 years ago
    I would start off with cleaning up the wood and living with it for a while. I love dark wood in old homes but I also don't think it's always a sacrilege to paint. But it is good to live with it to make sure you don't have any regrets. I would also look at a lot of houzz photos showing how to work with dark wood because you may end up liking something you didn't think you did at first.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This is an age old question on houzz which has started many debates. I've seen it done nicely painted or with a natural light wood finish. However, you could also do a mix of pain with dark stain.

    Michigan Summer Home · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/21-house-modern-hall-san-francisco-phvw-vp~60647
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It looks like gumwood to me and I am not a fan of that wood. I find it a bit depressing. I know it was used a lot because there were so many trees available.I would paint it.
  • 11 years ago
    Looks darker currently because of the white plaster expanses...will warm up with complementary colors on the walls.
  • 11 years ago
    Agree with the comments about cleaning it first. But if you aren't happy with it, then that's what paint is for, right? Have a great holiday! :)
  • 11 years ago
    oh thanks for all the advice! Not sure of the kind of wood it is yet but the posters are huge and will be a lot of cleaning! I just didn't want to paint and wanted to keep it original if I could. I do like dark wood and know if I have the right paint it will be beautiful. Beautiful old home we bought and want to restore. Thanks everyone! I might be back for more advice!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Vickie, IF the wood has been finished with shellac the cleaning and refinishing won't be as bad as a complete strip, sand, restain, finish. To find out wipe some alcohol on the finish if the becomes soft and starts to dissolve, it is shellac. Then we can help you in fixing it all up.
    vickie chaffin thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • 11 years ago
    Not a fan of painted wood, I like it exposed. I would clean it up and see first if it's something that you want permanently that way. Until then, don't try doing anything drastic.
  • 11 years ago
    I love the white and dark together. I think it looks rich. The only thing I hate if the toe marks on the risers. How do you keep that clean?
  • 11 years ago
    Please keep the natural wood color on the stairs and don't paint! I would consider a nice stair runner to tie into your planned color scheme and decor. I would only paint the wainscotting and then stand back and see how much that alone brightens up your stairwell. Beautiful craftsmanship with a real gothic vibe - enjoy your project!
  • 11 years ago
    Even if you Want to paint, you will have to clean it first.Live with it after that for a while. You decision may depend on the wall colors you choose.
  • 11 years ago
    gothic is not really what I wanted to hear, as I don't really like the pointed peaks on the posts, but what about the wainscoting? Rusty Empire says paint, but what color? I love a huge white house with southern charm inside! this house is in fact huge. I am just starting to get inspired and wanting to do a few things inside. Can't wait to see the finished product!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Don't fret Vickie, it's not Gothic. Drop finials don't necessarily mean gothic. From the one picture you posted I would call it Victorian, possibly. But it could also be Georgian. Would have to see more of the house to be sure.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Agree with Al...Victorian.

    Terrell, TX: Tom & Nancy Aldinger · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    My bad. I think Georgian would be more accurate, but like I said it had a "Gothic vibe" not knowing my passing comment would be dragged out and flogged to death by all you smarty pants out there (I say that with affection and respect, and just a teensy bit of condescension). But hey, what the fudge is wrong with "Gothic" anyway?? It doesn't mean too much black eyeliner and depressing music. I'd kill for that staircase (not literally but you know what I mean). And white - whatever "white" floats your boat - is never a bad choice with dark wood in a period house. And PS: Vickie - remove the offending pointed bits carefully, put them in a box and mail them to me. I will put them on the staircase we are having made and will love them unconditionally.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Oh Rusty, don't slip up on here, you won't get a second chance. The vultures are circling. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Oy vay, tell me about it.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH