Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6376935

Entry Way MAKEOVER

11 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm almost starting with a blank canvas here.. I am looking to make this area look overall upscale, yet relaxed, and not too fussy. Thinking Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn kind of look.. I have some existing decor and recently ordered a 70" console table from World Market and 15" preserved cypress from Williams Sanoma. (See photos below.)

Please help!! I'm getting stuck and don't know what to focus on next. I am looking for ANY suggestions or thoughts on this space and how I can really pull it all together. (I prefer the mirror to stay if at all possible, if you don't think it should, please tell me) ... Also, The current shelf area to me feels disjointed and ugly. A couple of my thoughts were to paint the inside of the front door black as well as the small side panel, and get a runner rug? Maybe to put the cypress in the wall niche? Or in center of the console table?

Any help or thoughts are very much appreciated!! Thank you! :)

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you, I never would have thought of that! I'll have to ponder that for a bit... I'm guessing the iron would have to be custom made. Would you do the iron on the large rectangle too? And take all frames and shelves down? Thanks again.
  • 11 years ago
    I like what you did with the alcoves. Painting them the dark color. Perhaps paint the door etc a very dark charcoal - almost black depending on what color you have in the alcoves.
    (Hard to tell from online pics). Also get a long rug from front door down hall.
    A hall table would look nice, perhaps turn the mirror the other way round when you get one.
    Lamp on hall table. I think you have an outlet avail.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi, can u change floor or update the door at all?
  • 11 years ago
    Yes ,I would take all shelves and frames down and paint out all the niches the same colour as the wall.
    One wrought iron piece may be too large(I don;t know tyr dimensions) but 3 as a triptych
    would be very interesting in the larger niche.
    In the smaller niche I wouldn't do wrought iron but your suggestion of the cedar plant may look OK.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    A runner would help cover all the linear grout lines in the tile. The Cypress would be great flanking either side of the side table you bought. Can you get another? I like the dark niches but not the shelving that is in one of them. It looks disjointed because the shelving is scattered. Long shelves displaying photos, books and nick nacks (but careful not to use too many) would be better. The other niche should house something tall perhaps a glass sculpture or piece of art? Good luck.
  • 11 years ago
    The niche with the photographs in it would make a cute bench alcove. Cut the wallboard back to 18" and add a board on top with cushion. Maybe add some hooks above.
    Modern Traditional Lake House · More Info

    Star Prairie Lake Home · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Angel, thank you. I like your idea to turn the mirror! What color rug would you recommend? One more thing, do you think the paint color for the door etc should be the same as the charcoal color I used in the niches? Or a shade darker? Or black. And flat paint or satin? Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    All About Interiors, thank you! I agree with the runner, do you have a color or style in mind? Also, the shelves came with the house and I've never been in love with them so yes, I agree there too! Thanks for pointing that out. Should the shelves go all the way from one side to the other? Just two shelves? What style? I really appreciate your wisdom. Thanks again!
  • 11 years ago
    Dar, I think that would be really neat. Thanks for the suggestion. I think with my budget, I would consider that later down the road. (As I am not ver handy!)
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Anne, I like your taste. It's unique, high end and something I would have never thought of. !!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the mirror is redundant with the niches. It also appears to be hung too high (should have center point 5' above the floor.) I'd remove the shelves and use removable/temp wallpaper inside the niches. Place the new table where the mirror is and add some accessories that pick up the color in the wallpaper.
    Color Pop · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Decoenthusiast, wallpaper? Cool!! Another reason I love this community. We all have unique ideas.. And many I've never thought of. I'm so grateful for y'all. :)
  • 11 years ago
    And if it is temporary and removable you can change it easily if you tire of that look!
  • 11 years ago
    Maybe adding a brighter light in your entryway to add some light like this piece from houzz.com
  • 11 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of accent walls so I'm not sure. Maybe try an accent wall behind your new table in the brown to match the niches? I assume that's where the new table is going too?, it would pull things together but I'd get other opinions on that.
  • 11 years ago
    The hallway should create flow into the adjoining rooms. If your furniture is black, then a black door might make sense. Otherwise, staining it to match the wood floor might work. Putting a single large piece of metalwork (or other artwork) in the large nook is a great idea. The long console table will be a nice addition where you and guests can set keys, purses, etc as you enter and the mirror above it is nice for everyone to check themselves as they leave (no one leaves looking like Alfalfa!). A long runner and/or accent wall will make the hall look long and narrow. Consider putting a small area rug in front of the front door (as you have, but bigger with colors that pull in from the other rooms) and a coordinating shorter runner down the rest of the hall.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like Anne's suggestion of the wrought iron look. It reminds me of an etched glass door I did once with a similar design. The glass in your door could be changed out so that you don't have to incur the expense of a whole new door. If we can help with etched glass inserts, I would be happy to discuss some options with you. Pete
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi! These are all amazing suggestions! Another thing you might want to consider is getting new door hardware, Emtek has some really nice entrysets in all different styles, you should really check them out! http://focalpointhardware.com/emtek-c-11_843.html

    Hope this helps!
    -Focal Point Hardware