Software
Houzz Logo Print
paula_jones

Need ideas for a new design for the entry

14 years ago
We are rehabbing this home in KY. I think the entry is hurting and I'm in need of ideas. I'm leaning towards an iron door, as in this pic. If we do that, should I also go with iron railing on interior staircase? Would stone on the front that mirrors that shape of the door be a good option, or not? Thanks for all your ideas.

Comments (13)

  • 14 years ago
    Thank you and I think that would look nice, too, but I think the gable needs some embellishment, it's just so raw and open. If anyone sees a picture of a creative idea for the gable, please share.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi Paula, I agree, perhaps some gable brackets would give some character and focal point for the front entry.

    Country French Estate · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I've been leaning that way, too, and I love the country French look which is the direction I am aiming for. I was little concerned that this may look a little too "Lodge", but maybe I could pull it off. Would I have to put a rough cut square column under the gable work? Also, I wouldn't mind some tips for a new trim color. I tried a sample of SW Putty and it looks okay, but I am concerned it may have too much yellow in it. I do hope to add some rustic shutters with clavos on the cross board and probably paint them in a dark dusty teal. Also want to add wrought iron flower boxes under the far left window and another identical window at the far right of the home.. I think I'm stuck with the window color.
  • 14 years ago
    What's throwing things off is the scale of the columns. I would either replace the columns with something thicker and in proportion to the gable or add climbing ivy to the existing columns to bulk them up, as someone else said. The columns should probably be square rather than round, the same width as or slightly thinner than the cornices they support.

    Then I would add two tall cone-shaped potted evergreen trees on either side of the door to frame it and add some depth and definition to the entry.

    To add a focal point to the gable I would suspend a traditional brass or iron light fixture from the eaves--let it hang from metal chain link at a height that just grazes the top of the door. You may need 3 or 4 chains to make it windproof, which would add even more visual clout. The bracketing mentioned above seems too heavy to me for this size house.

    Rather than shutters I would consider rounded canvas awnings for the windows for even more depth and dimension. Ornamental shutters always look phony to me. Wooden sash windows to replace the aluminum ones would be wonderful, depending on your budget.

    You're lucky to have a door with sidelights. But this one, with its art nouveau leading looks prefab and out of character. I love the iron doors in the picture, but they may be too busy. Your call. Don't touch that wooden bannister! It's gorgeous.

    As for the trim color, maybe just a darker shade of what you have. Or a medium dark mossy green. Think of it as piping on a chair or pillow--a (slightly) darker color would create an outline of the three eaves and accent the architecture, make it pop a little more.

    To sum up, aim for a cottage feel, nothing too fancy. Your instinct toward French country is correct, except I would change the word "French" to "English." The house has a lot of potential. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Wow, I had thought about awnings, too, especially since the front of the house faces west and has full afternoon sun. Can you possibly post a pic of the type of awning your are referencing? The house sits on 1.75 acres surrounded by trees and the back looks out over a lovely little lake. I was hoping to lighten it up a bit since in seems dark and dreary, so I hadn't even considered going darker, but perhaps it would work in a way I hadn't considered. Appreciate you insight and sharing.
  • 14 years ago
    I saw that same photo that Dytecture attached. Love it.That will bring new life and character to your home and establish a direction.New front doors with some iron is a good idea too..I don't care for too much ornate work like the pic you showed, but simple and clean. Consider using rough hewn beams as support to bring in more texture and character ( I have this on my own residence house that i built.). Those Columns have to go. Shutters will look great but not blue please.. a deep charcoal, something in your brick will look more pleasing and not to be confused with the dated look of blue shutters in 70's and 80"s. Certain style French homes can pull that off, but not this style. You definitely need some big, European looking urns on front porch to finish it off. Have fun!
  • 14 years ago
    Here is the entry on my current home, I was planning on using these pots at the new home, unless I need something even bigger. I may have to switch to concrete if these get too hot in the sun. They are always shaded by the trees for now. Also, I enclosed a pic of our kitchen that I repainted and made awnings for years ago, showing my love for awnings. On the dusty teal, that I was referencing for the shutters, would be almost charcoal. I was concerned with the home being too somber. The shape of the iron door is what draws me, I too, feel the design is not perfect, but am having trouble finding the right design in that shape.
  • 14 years ago
    I see Paula. Well, your current entry is much more narrow, a single door, so you may find the pots too small.I believe you will. I have large copper colored ones on the entry ( my home is gray stone). I found an antique set of carved paneled mahogany doors in a salvage yard, and glued them together to make one larger front door. ( They were very narrow and I have no sidelights though that was my original plan) I used a type of antique glass for my transom.Everyone asks me about those doors.. they love them! Perhaps look for something unique that a contractor can help you find a way to use. I do this constantly.. I find objects that are reclaimed and figure out a way to use them.
    What is your budget to rehab.. I am good at spending money!( just ask my husband). A dimensional roof will instantly transform your house .Currently it appears to lack much dimension at all. How about a cobbled paver walkway? Nothing about that sidewalk looks European. It would be great to treat the brick on the arches somehow differently to make them stand out. One thing that comes to mind is exploring using a thin cultured stone in that area.. a contractor could tell you if this is possible.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I love the iron door you are considering. Ivy growing up the columns would be so beautiful and would be less expensive than new columns. Iron windowboxes..good idea. maybe very large pots with large evergreens and place your existing pots on the ground in front of them for a layered look and some color. Awnings would be beautiful but no shutters on this house...I would use a much darker trim color, dusky brown or deep gray to give it an older, more established feel. Deepen and layer the beds and If this were my house, I would let creeping fig grow halfway or so up the corners and over the door. Sooo much potential. Have fun! Oh, yes I would replace the interior railing with iron to continue the theme of the beautiful door.
  • 14 years ago
    I just I spoke to everything else I would consider changing and left out what you asked about.. the railing..yes, i would change to iron spindles to keep the European flair.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think you have alot of great ideas from the people above. I could see double doors put into your existing door space; I saw this company at an Atlanta Home Show with gorgeous glass and iron doors, but I am having a hard time finding the company ( name is not coming to me right now!) It would be beautiful to have a lantern of signifigant proportion hanging down above door, and I love the urns with evergreen idea! I agree with giving the trim some contrast, but maybe just a warmer gray/taupe. You want to complement the brick. Also agree that columns need to be of grander stature to give wow to your entry. I think the tree blocking the window should come down to open area up, and I would add boxwoods,ivy, roses to keep with the English style you're striving to achieve. Finally, I think a home looks so much better with no screens on the front of the house. Have fun with your home!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We do some iron work here at the shop for interior and exteriors. We have a lot of people doing iron doors they are beautiful. We also do some custom made iron lighting for outside to accent homes. If we can help in any way please contact us here.