Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itrydiythenusuallybuy

Am I Nuts?

Husband is traveling for work for the next month and I'm trying to surprise him by removing the stained, torn, unraveling carpet, and showcasing the wood beneath. Am I nuts for doing this or will the 10 billion staples and copious amount of wood filler be worth it in the end?
Oh Lord Jesus what have I done
Worth the blood, sweat and tears

Comments (150)

• zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hi, how are the steps going? :)
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 years ago
    Wood is great ...and you cat photos awesome ! Good luck !
  • Gina
    9 years ago
    I am planning to start my stairs refinishing project next month. I was wondering what did you do to the landing area. As I am stumped on what to do.
  • 99ways
    9 years ago
    YES It will be worth it. You may want to use a light matte stain so you won't have anything soaking into bare wood.
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The steps are completed! The landing was painted the grayish blue and I've been searching for a rug. I ended up doing a darker stain on the treads. As much as I loved the lighter stain, it just stood out a bit too much. I've been over in California and Japan for work and had rushed to get everything done so I didn't take photos. I'll be back before the husband and will update everyone with a Before and After sometime in the first week of Feb.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    AWESOME WELL DONE ITRY!
    We could help out with the rug..
    Make sure you take a photo of the hubby's face when he see's it/
  • Nancy Cronk
    9 years ago
    Hardwood stairs are gorgeous, but hard on the knees if you have arthritis. Stair-runners are expensive but may be cheaper than knee surgery.
  • PRO
    Rare Door
    9 years ago
    hardwood is the way to go! No one likes a dirty carpet. Awesome job on this. Isn't taking on projects like this so gratifying?
  • Desiree Schambach
    9 years ago
    I would love to see the finished pictures. Contemplating re finishing our wood floors but was scared DIY.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi! Hope the stairs are going well. :) Listen, just wanted to let you know, houzz has your stairs on houzz facebook. I'm not on facebook, but you can still view the page. Just figured I'd let you know in case you wanted to take a peek. :) Pretty cool. :)

https://www.facebook.com/houzz
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Look. :)
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    WOW...!
    LOL...!
    The finished outcomes, pictures and hubbys face pictures are being waited apon EVERYWHERE.! :)
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Guess who had a picture after all? It's right before I cleaned up all the edges to be super crisp but it gives a better idea of the darker stain and risers to the existing floor. Yes I did decide not to use the dark blue. It stood out a bit too much.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Wow, looks great. What a difference. :) Happy? :)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Truly amazing. You did such a great job, and cannot believe you were able to work this in to everything else going on in your life. You are my hero!
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am very happy with the results and can't wait for the husband to see it and to be back home myself. Even more happy news, I accepted a new opportunity for my career today.

Honestly I'm not sure I would have completed this task if it wasn't for the support of the Houzz community, so cheers to you guys. Also, expect to help with that rug when I get back.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Congrats on the new career opportunity. That's great news. :) I will definitely keep a look out for the rug posting. :)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Well, congrats on that new opportunity. They were smart to snatch you up for it!
  • bschr
    9 years ago
    Congrats on all fronts. Your stairs look fantastic.
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm excited. Going from a weapons maintenance technician to a logistics and purchasing assistant for the government. Less travel but more time for projects and antiquing. I'm bound and determined to find a vintage dr. pepper cooler and an orange crush thermometer.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Love it! Did not realize you had such a job! WOW!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    And you were worried about tackling stairs? Lol :) No problem. ;)
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's been a fun but hard road here. I transitioned from the military a few years ago to full time unloading trucks at Target and Home Depot and worked my way into that contractor job by taking on the general labor that was sweaty, dirty, greasy and almost all male. Took a toll on my body hauling cables that weigh almost as much as me but it's finally paying off. So I must admit, the work side of DIY doesn't scare me, it's the design side with the constant second guessing of myself.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Be proud, that's some accomplishment. And as far as second guessing....my friend.....you are definitely not alone there. Plus, you did quite well as far as I'm concerned. So, sit back and enjoy it. I bet hubby will be surprised when he sees it. It's quite a difference. :)
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    Wowa....that is amazing.
    Looks wonderful! :)
    Well done!
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you to both. When I get back this Saturday I'll be able to take the final photos and use the dark blue after all. It will become an accent wall in the billiards room. I'm either a glutton for punishment or overly ambitious, probably both.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Lovely! I was expecting (and maybe hoping) for a bit more color but this is perfect! Quirky restraint. Wonderful job!
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Whynot, the unexpected dash of color and style will hopefully be in the rug and eventually updated light fixture. Plus that little stairway wall gets redone quite often. Its been argyle, striped, geometric hexagons, nautical Americana [think old school military tattoos], solid gray and currently is textured to look like old leather. Usually the week before we host a large party, it gets redone.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    Whenz hubby due in?
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Due back on Monday. I'm nervous, excited and a bit scared to be perfectly honest.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I have no idea why you would be scared. You've done a beautiful job and I can't imagine he would have any objections. If he does, send him back to wherever he's been....lol.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    Itry....
    well i think you have done a wonderful job and if he doesn't like it...yes....send him back. or back to his mothers....LOL
    REMEMBER: we want a pic of the hubbys face when he sees it.! :)
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure why I'm scared either, part of me just always worries about things like that. We might end up getting a blurry picture, the man is almost a ninja when it comes to pictures but I'm bound and determined to get one.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    well he might be to shocked to be a ninja on monday..
  • senab
    9 years ago

Wow you are superb, love your career choice talk about longevity. Its funny that you mention that you redo certain aspects of your house before parties; I am the same way, actually a lot of our projects started because we were having a major get together.

• myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    He home yet?
  • A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    He will be home in about 12 hours. I meant to create the before and after ideabook but yesterday was a beautiful 70° so I was at the oceanfront enjoying the day of warmth before it drops back to 35°. It was like the warm weather followed me home and then realized it was in Virginia....
    Late Friday and early Saturday were my first two days back home and I went even darker on the steps and ran the darker stain across the railings. I love the darker color with the painted risers even more. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble had I just went really dark to begin with instead of the pecan, cherry, a mix of both, then to the dark. Lesson learned. Go with your gut.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    OH I love it....11 hours more.....
    counting down....can't wait to see his face and hear his reaction.
    Cool!! :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Great contrast. :) Makes the colors pop. :) Btw, lucky you 70....though it wasn't bad here either about 60. Now, it's 30. :(

• shedrivesatruck
    9 years ago

Oooooh - the dark steps are perfect!

• A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    He's home! Sorry for the delay, food and just relaxing were the first priorities. Quoted, "I really like how they turned out but I think they make my feet look bigger." We will be heading up to Ikea next week to look at runners and a possible rug for the landing. After all the hard work, seeing his smile has made everything worthwhile.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago

Awww, you guys are sooo cute. :) That's great! :)

• myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    CUTE...
    So he was very pleased! :")
  • janroze
    9 years ago

CONGRATS ON HIS RETURN AND MUTUAL LOVE OF STAIRS. Be careful about the landing rug, don't trip on it, the runner sounds great.

Happy Valentine's Day to you both.

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

I love a happy ending and you two are just too darn cute!!!

• A&R bought a ranch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Haha thank you. It's a bittersweet return home though. Yesterday I found out the deployment date so we have less than a month until he's back out. Between my jobs and his we've only had maybe 2 years together out of 5.
  • janroze
    9 years ago

Such little time together. Be sure to make a list of everything you want to get put and do together, so you don't miss anything and of course the personal time together takes priortiy. chuckle

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

Oh, less than a month? Enjoy these next days together a whole bunch!!!

• PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    Great idea now chop chop lol
  • Keith Collier
    4 years ago

I love your steps. I am doing the same thing to my entrance staircase. However I am having a challenge with the stain completely drying, I have used general finish gel stain before. I followed all the appropriate procedures( mineral spirit, sanding, brushing on gel stain and wiping it off with rag.) I have done the same process to new unfinished wood posts and railings and it has been several days 5-6 and it is still tacky. Should i just topcoat and if so because they will stair trends I was told to us a topcoat that really protects wood and finish on floors so can I use Miniwax topcoat for floors with the General finish gel stain? Thanks for any advice Im desparate!!!!!!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus