Software
Houzz Logo Print
jnmmom

I need help decorating around an awkward fireplace/hearth.

11 years ago
I realize this is an awkward space. The mantle is too small and the TV is too large. I am not a fan of the brick. However, it is what I have to work with right now. I need some suggestions as to how to decorate the space I have. I would like to something on the hearth since there is not much room to accessorize the mantle itself. I am currently looking for a new screen. Also, I like to change my decor (window treatments, accessories) with the seasons. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have faith the houzz community can come up with something interesting!

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I don't see anything wrong with the Mantle or the TV except I would never, ever advise a client to put a TV on a fireplace mantel!

    Not that there is anything wrong with the TV but it is bigger than the fireplace opening - but not bigger than the width of the mantle. It would look better mounted on the wall above the fireplace however if that messes up the brick I would put the TV somewhere else. That's the first thing I would do.

    Also what I find odd is the window dressing. They stick out from either side of the window and basically cover a little vertical slice of wall alongside, but not the windows. If there is a structural reason for that then I guess that's that, but I would have proper window treatments here.

    Finally I would flank the fireplace with cushy armchairs either Library Armchairs in a rich tan leather or white linen slipcovered upholstered armchairs (depending on the style of the room - upscale or casual), on either side to soften the brick (which I think looks handsome on that wall). Don't get rid of it. It also adds value to your home.

    TORI BLACK HOME

    Interior Design
    Los Angeles
    CALIFORNIA

    www.toriblackhome.com
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for,your responses so far. Just to clarify, the TV is mounted on the wall. The sound bar is sitting on the mantle below it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You could paint or treat the brick to make a dramatic statement.
  • 11 years ago
    Tv on the wall, mount speakers to the left right top and install surround sound with rear as well!
  • 11 years ago
    I have similar situation. ignore the foam padding at the bottom (in process of making a cushion to child proof). my husband extended our mantle to the edge of the bricks and went down both sides also installing an outlet at the bottom so we can hide wires inside, running down the side. our tv is mounted to the wall and decorative curtains on the top of the windows. You could do something similiar and extend out to the edge of your bricks to break it up. And even paint the brick inside the mantle.
  • 11 years ago
    the mantle and TV look terrible together, so out of place. get rid of the mantle. put tv somewhere else. put art there. what the other person said about perhaps painting the bricks.
  • 11 years ago
    Different mantle. Paint the brass with a made for high heat spray paint. If you don't want to paint the brick, there is always masonry stain.
  • 11 years ago
    Is the fire place mantle, etc. on top of the brick? Ideally, I would remove the white mantle, etc. and put a reclaimed lumber mantle across (without the legs). But agree, TV above a fireplace, especially if its a wood burning unit, is not a good idea. Not sure how it is on the neck either.. The little equipment cart takes away from look also. Perhaps, if you put the arm chairs as suggested above you could use that as a table along side the chair, if you can conceal the equipment somehow.
  • 11 years ago
    maybe save your money and Change the brick to rock/stone but IK that can be pricey
  • 11 years ago
    My first impression when I looked at the fireplace is I would paint the brick inside the frame of the mantle the same color as the mantle.
  • 11 years ago
    I feel like you could get away with having the tv there as long as you rip out the white woodwork. In fact, I'd leave it without any mantle at all. You might want to change out the firebox as well. I wouldn't change the brick at all. That's one very impressive structure.
  • 11 years ago

    No matter if you take away the mantle or not, the TV is out of scale to the space. If you MUST have your TV on that wall, get one that's smaller so it's to scale. Best idea is to move it elsewhere in the room. Art work will hide the place where it was hanging. Start with the worst part and go from there.


  • 11 years ago

    Ok, apologies for the cascade of nonresponsive posts, wow!!

    You want to work with the space and arrangement you have. I'd go for drawing the eye downward, decorating with vases or other interesting pieces on either side of the firebox. Maybe a mix of white, neutral, and whatever accents you have in the rest of the room (a color, say, or some metallic bit).

    Bocage Model House in Terra Bella Village · More Info


    Indian Hills Living Room · More Info


    Great Room · More Info


    Great Room Bluffs · More Info



  • 11 years ago
    @acm - Thank you, thank you, thank you! Those were the kind of suggestions I was looking for!
  • 11 years ago

    I think the best change you could make for the wall to look more in proportion is full length drapes. Remove everything from the mantel (except the TV). Add a single basket of kindling on the hearth, the largest one it will hold.


  • 11 years ago

    Agree with grover on the drapes. Then additional drama would also camouflage the TV - paint the brick black or deep charcoal gray.

    Nunawading Residence · More Info
    Danville Remodel · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    How about some art deco tile for the sides of the fire place inside the mantle and on the hearth?
    My husband and I want to buy a house. I want one with a nice flat fireplace so I can make the tiles for it myself.
    Tile looks nice and finished in front of fireplaces.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I'm not sure what type of budge you're working with or how the remainder of the room looks. That said, it looks like you have a pretty traditional style.

    OPTION 1

    If you're looking to really make an impact around the fireplace, consider adding some narrow white shelves to either side, paint the brick white or do a white wash to allow some of the natural brick color to show through. Beef up the mantel area with a little more molding around the TV and fireplace opening.

    I would not go with cabinet doors on the bottom, since the windows are so close. However, you could leave open shelving and use baskets at the bottom.

    Melrose · More Info


    OPTION 2

    Remove the current mantle and beef it up. Add two fabulous matching buffets under the windows. Paint the brick white.

    The mirrors in the picture below, kinda represents the windows you have.

    Hollywood · More Info

    Since you have blinds on the lower windows, keep the window treatments simple (e.g. linen curtains).


    Happy Decorating!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations